p orbitals

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by allisone417, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allisone417 i'll be in my room Registered Senior Member

why, at n > 1 energy levels do the p, d, etc. orbitals become 2 or more seperate "loops?" and how does an electron it jump from one to the other? it wasnt fully explained to me, and i dont really understand.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Physics Monkey Snow Monkey and Physicist Registered Senior Member

The more complicated geometric structure is due to the fact that these orbitals have non zero angular momentum. The s orbitals have L = 0, they are spherically symmetric. The p orbitals have L = 1 and the d orbitals have L = 2. When you solve the Schrodinger equation with non zero angular momentum, you obtain radial solutions multiplied by spherical harmonics. For example, the p_z orbital has an angular dependence of cos( θ ), so if the square of the wavefunction is proportional to the probability then you can see that the probability is large when θ is near 0 or pi and vanishes when θ is equal to pi/2. You should try to convince yourself that this indeed the shape of the p_z orbital. Also, the electron doesn't jump from loop to loop, the loops are all part of a given orbital.

Hope this helps.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.