What do you value the most?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Cyperium, Nov 27, 2005.

?

What do you value the most of these options?

1. Christianity - Love

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Christianity - Peace on earth

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Christianity - Living a long life

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Christianity - Joy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Christianity - Being respected

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  6. Atheism - Love

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  7. Atheism - Peace on earth

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  8. Atheism - Living a long life

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  9. Atheism - Joy

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  10. Atheism - Being respected

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

Are there a difference in christian vs. atheist values? Let's see!

Another poll coming up as a consequence of this.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TheAlphaWolf Registered Senior Member

I must say I value honesty, curiosity, and logical thinking the most (in no particular order)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

Oh, this is a poll, so vote if you like (on one of the options)

The question is what you value the most of the options presented in this poll.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TheAlphaWolf Registered Senior Member

oh sorry... when I first came there wasn't a poll, and I figured you'd talk about the character traits or something. It's hard to choose... for example... loving, or being loved? living a long life at the cost of not being loved/loving?

I think joy encompasses all of them. I wouldn't be happy if I didn't love/was loved, or if there was NO peace on earth, etc. so I choose joy.

8. TheAlphaWolf Registered Senior Member

and also... would you consider agnostics as atheists? depending on the definition you use, I could be either a hard agnostic or a soft atheist.

9. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

Well, it doesn't matter, if you are a agnostic then you could vote for atheist.

10. DarkThorn Registered Senior Member

What if you are neither atheist or christian?

11. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

I know, I had to Submit thread in order to create the poll...

It's not that you will have no love if you choose long life, it is what you value the most. You could still have love even if you choose to value long life the most.

The question is rather, what do you value the most.

12. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

Then this poll doesn't really apply to you, since it is a test to see if there are fundamental differencies between atheists and christians. I don't want to see if there are fundamental differences between (as example) muslims and atheists (or muslims and christians).

If you are anti-theist then you may count yourself as a atheist since the concept is rather the same than different.

13. DarkThorn Registered Senior Member

Fair enough. I am still none of the above so i just won't take part to save any arguments.

14. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

Thank you.

15. geeser Atheism:is non-prophet making Valued Senior Member

I have'nt voted, as I feel the poll to be invalid, because I can only chose one option and as an atheist, I love and respect my fellow man, I wish for peace on earth, but it's never going to happen, whilst we have religion and belief in god/gods, I would like a long natural life, but unfortunately, the disrespect to life, that the religious have, I have to be careful, I dont get killed by a crazy religious fundie.
    I see and feel joy in all I survey, the faces of the young, the beauty of nature.
    but as for being respected, all I require is that people(especially the religious) respect my right to live.

16. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

atheism - joy/happiness

17. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

You don't value one more than the rest?

Since all of the options are appealing, people would choose all options if they could, but now I ask what you value the most. The question as such is not invalid.

The value also should reflect you as a person, not necessarily you as a atheist.

Just as a sidenote; I wasn't aware that people went around being afraid of christians...since christians is what this poll is about, not theists in general.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2005
  18. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

It would be nice if you didn't post what you voted for unless you want to explain or discuss it (to keep this as clean as possible).

19. geeser Atheism:is non-prophet making Valued Senior Member

then putting atheist/christian in the poll makes it invalid, if all you want to know, was what I hold most dear as a person, then the poll should reflect that.
    IE what do you value most
    Love
    Peace on earth
    Living a long life
    Joy
    Being respected
    the most important you missed out any way,
    life
    being xian or atheist, would be irrelevant, would it not.
    I surpose you going to say you wished to make a comparison between xians and atheist, to see if we want the same things, then ok. but I personally feel it's not valid.
    mainly because we are so different. there will be similaritys, but you only have to look at religious history ( and that xians as well)to see that, there all dishonest and hypocrites.

would you be happy if a lunatic was in control of your life, no of course not.
    but us atheists, have this in our lives all the time, and we can do nothing about it, at the present time, only hope that we can educate the foolishness out of the human mind set.
    I fear all the religious, be they xian or muslim etc, the religious would destroy the world if they could, they have no respect for life.

20. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

I respect your feelings about this, but I don't mean to compare atheist vs. christian values, I want to compare atheist peoples vs. christian peoples values.

All the options are desirable for both christians and atheists, but I suspect that there may be differences anyway in the order which we value them.

I may be wrong, it doesn't really matter, but if I'm not it would be interesting to see what makes the difference.

Sure there are other values that maybe should have been there, but I can't list them all, and you are right life in general should have been there...but at least 'living a long life' is there.

We are so similiar that there can't be comparison between values but yet christians are lunatics and atheists are straight?

I don't think you sense the falsity in that. So how do you judge what is lunatic and what is straight?

Why do you look at religious history, if you are debating how things are now? Even a peaceful religion such as christianity has a past and it isn't allways calm, things happen you know, I'm sure many atheists have started wars and many of the wars thought to have started by christians have probably been started by atheists that used the power of religion against the people. Even some wars may have been necessary, things aren't that peaceful in the world, people attack and bad rulers want more power, corruption and greed infect society. If it is so today, you don't think that it may have been similiar reasons to the wars and troubles of yesterday?

But today, present time, it doesn't look like christianity are going to war against anyone anytime soon...sure there have been scandals with priests, but as you insinuated; people are people, even in christianity.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  21. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

i value in no particular order:
    honesty
    compassion
    cake
    love of learning
    music
    reeses peanut butter cups
    whisky
    perspective

22. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

Well I voted; it was either or Atheist-love or Atheist-Peace on Earth. I chose Pease on Earth, because without religion there would be a chance for peace on earth, and men can come to solve their greavances with reason & logic. With religion they rule by emotion, greed, and fear!.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Godless

23. ConsequentAtheist Registered Senior Member

That is a truly inane statement. You are a testament to the fact that one can be rabid and irrational without being a theist.