Draw Bohr diagrams for covalent compounds?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by kingwinner, Nov 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingwinner Registered Senior Member

I am really frustrated when my instrctor didn't accept what I was taught to draw Bohr diagrams showing the sharing of electrons. I was taguht that since grade 9 just to circle the elctrons being shared, while my instructor requires the orbits to overlap each other. Maybe what I was taguht for all these years are wrong

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Anyway I must follow and accept the "new" method!

An example of a covalent compound is H2O, its correct Bohr diagram is:

To show the "sharing" of electrons. The second energy level circle of O intersects the first energy level circles of H.

But how can I draw the Bohr diagram for N2 and CO2?

I attempted to draw the Bohr diagram for the covalent compound N2 but failed to do so.

The second one of the diagram below is my usual method of showing sharing, now I must do it like the H2O example shown above (i.e. without drawing circles) Can someone please help? I seriously don't understand how I can show sharing of electrons by making the orbits of 2 atoms to intersect........"6" electrons are involved in the sharing...there is no way to join the orbits together and show how the 6 electrons are shared...

Can somone please teach me how to draw Bohr diagrams for the covalent compounds?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.