Australia foils chemical weapon attack~`~`~`~`~`

Discussion in 'World Events' started by vincent, Nov 8, 2005.

1. vincent Sir Vincent, knighted by HM Registered Senior Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4416254.stm

Last Updated: Tuesday, 8 November 2005, 06:29 GMT

E-mail this to a friend Printable version
    Australia foils 'terror attack'

About 500 police took part in the raids in Sydney and Melbourne

Australian police say they have foiled a terrorist attack in the final stages of its preparation, after 16 people were arrested in Sydney and Melbourne.

New South Wales police chief Ken Moroney said a "potentially catastrophic attack" had been averted.

One suspect was shot and wounded during a raid in Sydney. Chemicals, weapons, and computers were seized, police said.

The operation came nearly a week after Australia's anti-terror laws were changed to give police greater powers.

Police raided 23 houses in Sydney and Melbourne early on Tuesday, as part of the country's largest ever counter-terrorism operation.

The raids involved about 500 police officers and followed a 16-month investigation, officials said.

"I'm satisfied that we have disrupted what I would regard as the final stages of a large-scale terrorist attack, or the launch of a terrorist attack," Mr Moroney told Australia's ABC radio.

Court appearances

Those arrested in Melbourne include Abu Bakr, an outspoken Algerian-Australian cleric who has in the past praised Osama Bin Laden as "a great man".

He was among nine men who appeared in court in the city on Tuesday, and were charged with membership of a "terrorist organisation".

Each of the members of the group are committed to the cause of violent jihad

Richard Maidment
    Prosecutor

Prosecutor Richard Maidment told the court the men had formed a terrorist group to kill "innocent men and women in Australia".

He claims they received military-style training in rural Australia and had discussions about bomb-making.

Those arrested in Sydney are also due to appear in court.

"The members of the Sydney group have been gathering chemicals of a kind that were used in the London Underground bombings," Mr Maidment said, adding that Abu Bakr was the ringleader of both the Melbourne and Sydney groups.

Police said one of the suspects in Sydney was shot and seriously wounded after they came under fire. They said the suspect had refused orders to surrender.

There was no immediate comment from those arrested.

US ally

Police declined to give details of the likely target of the attack, but Victoria state police chief Christine Nixon said next year's Commonwealth Games, to be held in the city, were not a target.

Prime Minister John Howard said the arrests vindicated the government's decision to rush through amendments to the anti-terror laws.

"This country has never been immune from a possible terrorist attack," he said in a televised news conference.

"It's important that we continue to mobilise all of the resources of the commonwealth and the states to fight terrorism."

The changes were enacted on Thursday, to make it easier for police to prosecute suspects believed to be planning attacks.

Mr Howard at the time said he had received credible intelligence of a "terrorist threat".

Australia is a key ally of the US in its "war on terror", and has sent troops to fight in Iraq and Afghanistan.

There has never been a major terrorist attack on Australian soil, although 88 Australians died in the 2002 Bali bombings, and Australia's embassy in Indonesia was bombed in 2004.

The new war on terror hits oz shores, but dont worry all religons are doing these things.

The occupied lands of australia the war has begun, for them to claim there lands back like israel palestine, it is another just cause.

The earth is theres we are all occupying there lands we must give them back, im all for it.

A chemical weapons attack in OZ, now theres a 1st are some posters here horrified, and now getting patriotic about how dare they attack us.

You guys were so close to being a victim, maybe now you can see why brits and yanks already a victim of this madness, are so pissed of about it all.

And full credit to OZ police, what a amazing job something the brits could learn from, probably too busy doing the times crossword & playing polo at MI5, as there intelligence network failed.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2005
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

Why are the media so eager to forget the bombing of the sydney hilton hotel?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilton_bombing

But yes, kudos to our police for doing something preventative.

if these people don't respect our culture, our country, why the fuck are they living here?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

It is all that morris dancing you English do Vincent , do you feel embarrasse at being English Vincent ?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

Ask the Aborigines the same question , I have .

8. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

But the Aborigines were here first, so they have a right to be here, even if their culture is different.
    The aborigines didn't come here after the white settlers, looking for a better life.

9. vincent Sir Vincent, knighted by HM Registered Senior Member

And for those who say Austraila was attacked because of there support for the iraq war, simple answer why was bali attacked, indonesia never supported the war in iraq, why was there a terroist attack foiled in singapore 2 years ago, they never sent troops to iraq.

To find justification for terroist acts is easy, but the hard truth is, there can never be justification for killing innocent people, the ira mostly attacked political figures or army figures in there attacks, these new breed of terroists seem only interested in attacking the public, what have we done to them, there fight is with our governments.

10. Nysse God is dead Registered Senior Member

Perhaps he is referring to the fact that the White Settlers arrived in Australia and completely disrespected and damaged the Aborigines culture and territory, and chose to stay and apply their own instead.

11. vincent Sir Vincent, knighted by HM Registered Senior Member

Brian i am not a brit fanatic, i know there are massive things that are wrong with britain, mainly the upper class pricks that run the country and sit in courtrooms with womens wigs on there heads.

As for morris dancing hey im all for any form of relaxation be it tai chi, hypnosis, anything to calm the animal instinct in all of us.

I see you ignored the point of this thread totally, and instead attacked me, does that say something about you brian, why do you ignore terroism, unless that terroism is by bush as you say, you side with *ran a country that condones the massacre of israel, killing millions there that is there wish, there presidents the current one, and the one before have both said it, are you a *uslim brian, who has adopted a uk sounding name to play boths sides.

12. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

""And for those who say Austraila was attacked because of there support for the iraq war, simple answer why was bali attacked, """

To kill westerners, for invading afghanistan and iraq.

"""there can never be justification for killing innocent people, the ira mostly attacked political figures or army figures in there attacks, these new breed of terroists seem only interested in attacking the public, what have we done to them, there fight is with our governments."""

And our fight was with Saddams government, but our public has complicitly supported its government in these wars, which in case you havent realised, have cost the lives of tens of thousands of innocent people.
    Reliable estimates of innocent civilians killed in Iraq range from 30,000 - 100,000.

13. vincent Sir Vincent, knighted by HM Registered Senior Member

So you are justifying the attack on oz invovement in iraq & afghan

What about the attacks in bali, the attempted attack in singapore a very peaceful country, whats the justification there, answers please

Along as you & others find justification for there acts the longer there attacks will continue....

14. vincent Sir Vincent, knighted by HM Registered Senior Member

1000 posts, when do i get my left wing badge, or space cadet hat.
    Or my 2week all expenses paid vacation in Iran, as promised by the management of this forum, for pretending to be right wing, so as to keep the forum balanced, i am packing my bullet proof vest, and i have bought a false beard to fit in with the locals, i await my air tickets, and free accomadation in a loving *uslim home.
    I am forwarding my address for you to send it to me.

15. Nysse God is dead Registered Senior Member

"Imam Samudra listed 13 reasons for the attack, including revenge for what he called "the barbarity of the US army of the cross and its allies England, Australia and so on," and their role in the war in Afghanistan, Four Corners said"

I think he also said Australia was targeted for their association with America, and its involvement in East Timor’s change to independence from Indonesia in 1999.

It isn't justification, it's a reason.
    It can't be justified, but it can be given a reason, no matter how unmerited it may seem.

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Huwy no we certainly didnt, little johnny was more interested in what bush wanted than what we did and thats the truth, pitty australians are to dumb to rember that when election time comes around

17. vincent Sir Vincent, knighted by HM Registered Senior Member

So your saying the entire voting population forgot about the iraq war when they voted for howard, it just slipped there minds, as these things do, or could it be they all have a bit more intelligence than you give them credit fore, and that they either felt the war was just at the time, or siding with america was in there interest in terms of america being the most inportant allie to them.

Could it be you are in the minority, and your fellow ozzies are in the majority in there support for howard and the iraq war, before the war the percentage in oz were in favour of it.

So being in the minority on this issue, and on howard do we have some common situation here, that you are a person in the minority, being in the minority does that mean you are right, and the majority is wrong here, because history has shown minorities are loose cannons, thats why we have the united nations to unite the majority of the people in the world.

How about a new organization the minority nations, that way all the people of the world with a minority opinion can have there say too.

And maybe we can have new world leaders too, the popular leaders voted by the majority, and a special minority leader voted in by the people with esp of the minority world.

18. Koyaanisqatsi Banned Banned

Actually, Asguard, there was no clear majority either for or against our involvement in Iraq at the time we became so. What "we" wanted is NOT what you think it is, you misguided, uninformed twit.

You know... I'm almost at the point where I hope you and your kind prevail in the end. I really do. Because when it all comes crashing down around your ears, when everything you know disappears and your world changes forever, when your ilk finally succeed in pulling down whatever passes for strong leaders in this world and replace them with weak willed copies of yourselves, when your protests that you were sympathetic to their cause fall on deaf ears and you discover you have no place in their world either... that's when I'm going to have the most honest, heartfelt laugh I've had in a long, long time.

It would be the final proof that none of this made sense, nor was it ever meant to. It would be beautiful.

19. Nysse God is dead Registered Senior Member

How many percent are in favour of it now, then?

And I don't know of one person who was in favour of it...
    It seems to me that most people did oppose the war, and little johnny too, so I can't understand why they keep voting him in, either.

20. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

would you like to point out exactly WHERE howard is thinking about the people who voted for him?

ill take any law you like, which laws actually help anyone. NONE thats the whole point but for some reason people seem to think that no unfair dismissal is good, detention of political persons is good (wonder how long till the oposition leader gets arested because that is exactly how those laws read), making us a target is good, screwing small business (i know at least 2 small business owners who hate his guts for the amount of paperwork they now have to do because of him) come on where? Problem is we just dont care

21. vincent Sir Vincent, knighted by HM Registered Senior Member

Do you see how extreme you are, opposition leaders being arrested in OZ, you are so anti-world governments you make a ridiculous comment like that, yes this happens in zimbabwe or burma, but australia are you for real, do you live in a nuclear bunker too.

There very reason you exist today apart from your parents, is the fact you are living in a wealthy country that takes care of its citizens, you should think yourself damn lucky you were not born in burma, or zimbabwe.

boy you do have a hard life in OZ, what has the government done to you apart from, not giving power of the country to you, that has so upset you have they broke your colouring pencils.

22. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

Its time we cut America and its war on terror loose , Australia take note this war on terror is turning our citizens against each other .

23. stu43t Valued Senior Member

Poor little Brian - he's realising the same problems that Britain has experienced for years - get over it Bri !