Jesus Middle Name

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Trilairian, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Trilairian Registered Senior Member

Ever wonder what Jesus middle name was as in Jesus H. Christ?
    The popular christian apology has it that the H comes from the H in
    IHC
    and that this is somehow derived from
    IHS
    which are then claimed as a greek abreviation for Jesus. Now heres the paagan origin:
    According to the book of the dead Meh whose identity was latter absoarbed into Isis synchetistically was the right eye of Horus and Seb was his left.
    IHS
    I = ISIS
    H = Horus
    S = Seb
    This is then the portrait of Horus and H does stand for ***Horus***!
    Do a google search on
    +IHS +SUN +horus
    So next time you think of swearing and exclaiming Jesus H. Christ you can do it right and exclaim Jesus HORUS Christ!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

Well, no.

Jesus' name would have been Yeshua Ben Yosef, presuming that Yeshua was his given name and not a title.

~Raithere

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. marv Just a dumb hillbilly... Registered Senior Member

I prefer Jesus F***ing Christ.....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Ye hit the nail right on it's head. "jesus" is really a greco-roman corruption of the judeo-aramaic "Yeshua", often translated as "Joshua".

8. Trilairian Registered Senior Member

Funny that you would say well no and then say something that in no way contradicts what i said, and by the way Yosef was not Yeshua's fathers real name. In this case it is derivative of the egyptian god Seb.

9. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

From the Straight Dope:
    "It recalls the H in the IHS logo emblazoned on much Christian paraphernalia. IHS dates from the earliest years of Christianity, being an abbreviation of "Jesus" in classical Greek characters. The Greek pronunciation is "Iesous," with the E sound being represented by the character eta, which looks like an H. When the symbol passed to Christian Romans, for whom an H was an H, the unaccountable character eventually became accepted as Jesus's middle initial. "​
    Either that, or it's simply a contraction for some kind of profanity or oath, like marv's post suggests. Like "zounds" was a euphemism for "God's wounds".

10. Trilairian Registered Senior Member

And saying as I already said that, this is relevent how exactly?

11. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Every child knows what the "H" stands for:

Our father, who art in Heaven, Harold be thy name....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

How do you find that Yeshua Ben Yosef is not contradictory to Jesus Horus Christ? Presuming he did exist, Jesus was not his first name Horus was not his middle name and Christ was not his name at all but a title.

And you derive this from what, a vague similarity between the English transliteration of various names? Utter nonsense. Particularly regarding the Egyptian names for which the true pronunciation is unknown.

While I will grant you that the NT myth reflects many more ancient stories it is not a direct translation.

~Raithere

13. Trilairian Registered Senior Member

Because you completely are missing the point I made. I snipped the rest of your arguement against what you mistook me for having said. Go back and reread it until you figure out what I was actually saying.

14. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

Then please clarify because it seems to me that you are attempting to equate the symbolic Christian IHS with some imaginary Egyptian IHS. If your point is something else then yes, I am indeed missing it.

~Raithere

15. Trilairian Registered Senior Member

Yes, my point is that the original name of any historical person that the mythical Yeshua was connected to was actually named Jesus as you also said long after I already did and that the IHS taken by many to mean an abreviation for Jesus originally represented the mythical Jesus's origin in the original christ character Horus and his parents Isis and Seb whom I have demonstrated are through synchretism and etymology the characters Mary,Mary and Joseph.
    No the two Mary's wasn't a mistake.
    The transliteration of his name was chosen carefuly as a blend of Yeshua and horus that would have that abreviation and would have the gematria of 888.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2005
  16. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

And it is my contention that you have failed to demonstrate this. While I would certainly agree that there is a large amount of syncretism evident in Christianity the linear progression you're suggesting, from Egyptian gods to the family of Jesus, is lacking any historical or etymological support.

The fact is that the etymology here is largely unknown. Several people have already pointed out problems with the progression you describe. Not the least of which is that the similarities you illustrate are dependent upon not only transliteration but successive generations of transliteration with known errors. That the end result would somehow be more accurate is unlikely at best.

Finally, the Egyptian mythology is not even clear. Isis is more regularly the daughter of Geb/Seb than his wife and Horus is typically given to be the son of Osiris. It is also Osiris and not Horus that is depicted as the man-god who is slain and subsequently arises. It is only later as the myths continued to be mixed around that Orisis's legend was confused with Horus's.

The explanation you give simply does not reflect the historical evidence. It began to show up as Christianity spread. The syncretism you suggest is more accurately an adaptation of Coptic Christianity as it proliferated in Egypt. We see Christianity doing this repeatedly throughout its history, adapting itself to the local mythology.

~Raithere

17. Trilairian Registered Senior Member

No I haven't and No it isn't. You just haven't been reading all that I've written concerning this. I cut the rest of your nonsense.

18. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

Mmhmm, right. Just like I didn't understand your point before, right?

Scintillating retort. I'm overawed.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Maybe you can chew on these other opinions for a while.

~Raithere