help: best way to make a cylinder out of paper?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by cato, Nov 3, 2005.

1. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

hey everyone, I am not sure where to put this thread so this is kinda the default spot.

anyway, is anyone handy with making things out of poster board? I want to take a sheet of it and attach the two shorter ends together (to make a cylinder), but I am not sure how to make it strong and still look nice. I could use staples, that would make it strong, but not very pretty. I could use tape to make it pretty, but it would not be very strong.

I was thinking of possibly using tiny rivets that you get at craft stores, but I am not sure how well they would work.

can anyone suggest anything? if not can you give me a clue as to a keyword I might use in searching such thing in google?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

nothing? I will check back later, but I guess a science website is prolly not the best place to ask about arts and crafts

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Hm. Can you tell me how stiff the paper is, what quality? What size will the cylinder be? Also, what do you need it for?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. c20H25N3o Shiny Heart of a Shiny Child Registered Senior Member

Stitch it with fishing wire.

8. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Well...

Depending on the size, quality of paper and the purpose you will use it for, there may be different ways to do it.

What you can do, almost always, is this: Position the paper into the cylinder shape, the ends overlapping for a few centimeters (depending on the radius though), and fix the shape with laundry clips. Then take an oblong piece of firm, but thin and flexible paper (usual writing paper will do), smear it with glue, and paste it on the joint. Like cellotape, only broader, and with stronger glue. This usually works well.

9. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

And you can do the same to the inside of the cylinder.

10. ArmanTanzarian Registered Senior Member

Sounds as if you may need some sort of internal skeleton. I might suggest taking coat hangers, the wire ones, and duct taping those in a strips to the interior and bending them in the perfect cylindrical shape. Or maybe bend the wire hangers prior - cut to length and then do the tape job.

cheers
    -b-

11. ArtofWar Registered Senior Member

To Cato: you could possibly Laquerit with some Varnish to keep the paper stiff and look glossy that is if teh paper you use can keep its dexterity and not blled through making it limp

12. ArtofWar Registered Senior Member

To Cato: you could possibly Laquer it with some Varnish to keep the paper stiff and look glossy that is if the paper you use can keep its dexterity and not bleed through making it limp

Armenian?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
  13. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

I think Cato got much more information than was necessary for his project here, i mean, Armenian even suggested a fucking INTERNAL SKELETON! What'jou mean a science board is not the right place to be asking such questions? Jeesh!

14. ArtofWar Registered Senior Member

15. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

well, an internal skeleton wont work, I am thinking that glues is probably the best option. stitching it with fishing wire might also work, I will consider that.

thanks for your help, but if anyone thinks of a new idea, feel free to post it.

16. water the sea Registered Senior Member

How many internet posters does it take to change a lightbulb ...

17. vslayer Registered Senior Member

we dont use lightbulbs, we type by the faint glow of our computer monitors and plasma balls/neons/other glowy trinkets stitting around the typing area

and i would use 2 rings on it at each end, on on the innside holding the shape, and one on the outside stopping it from springing open, you could probably even use something like cardboard for it, and jsut glue it to the cone