Can God Die?(or get sick)

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by PsychoticEpisode, Oct 30, 2005.

1. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

I was just wondering if the all powerful, capable of anything God can die. Is dying the one thing he can't do or are there more? Can he write a book that gets directly to the point that everyone can understand? Can he stop killing us or forgive those he kills? Can he make a perfect human? Can he patch things up with Satan? Can he make a mistake? Can he shoot an 18 on every golf course?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

He wouldn't die, that's all I know.
    Possibly He could do anything, but there are some things He just won't do.
    Yes. That everyone can understand, sadly not anyone wants to understand or are too comfortable with the world.
    What can I say? He gave us life, He took it away.
    I think so.
    What do you mean "patch things up"?
    No.
    Yes.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

Cyperium, do you have God on quick dial or something? How can you answer on his behalf?

Let me give the only decent answer any human being can give at this time: I don't know.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. devils_reject Registered Senior Member

everything dies and gets sick, so if you love God and want god to be just like you then you shouldn't be too faint hearted if so. I would like that in a person or personality, not some freakazoid.

8. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

Although if God doesn't exist, of course he can die, when religion dies.

9. devils_reject Registered Senior Member

it's a she, i just can't imagine putting up with another man.

10. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Yes. Simply redefine God so that it can die. Fantasies can be easily changed on a whim.

11. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

What I want to know is what happens if god, provided he exists, has a nightmare.

12. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Does God sleep? Dream? Maybe God's having one of those nightmares right now.

I still think a God should be able to do anything but I have my doubts.

13. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

What do you think the dark ages was?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

J.J

Provided that a god exists, of course he/she'd make mistakes. Everything makes mistakes. Everything, EVERYTHING, is subject to the laws of physics and EVERYTHING makes mistakes every once in a while.

14. Adstar Valued Senior Member

Well lets read what He said:

Revelation 1
    10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s Day, and I heard behind me a loud voice, as of a trumpet, 11 saying, “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last,” and, “What you see, write in a book and send it to the seven churches which are in Asia: to Ephesus, to Smyrna, to Pergamos, to Thyatira, to Sardis, to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea.”
    12 Then I turned to see the voice that spoke with me. And having turned I saw seven golden lampstands, 13 and in the midst of the seven lampstands One like the Son of Man, clothed with a garment down to the feet and girded about the chest with a golden band. 14 His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and His eyes like a flame of fire; 15 His feet were like fine brass, as if refined in a furnace, and His voice as the sound of many waters; 16 He had in His right hand seven stars, out of His mouth went a sharp two-edged sword, and His countenance was like the sun shining in its strength. 17 And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. But He laid His right hand on me, saying to me, “Do not be afraid; I am the First and the Last. 18 I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hades and of Death

So yeah He died and came back to life.

He can deliver a message that even the most simple can understand. But allow it to be hidden from those who are too proud to accept it.

Yes He can do both. And has told us He will do both when His plan reaches maturity.

Yes He did make perfect humans. And He will overcome our current imperfection when the time is right.

I don't know.

No.

Yes

He could travel through time and shoot perfect rounds on every cource that has ever existed.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

15. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Adstar,

So the answer is no then.

16. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

That was Jesus, not God.

God will die the day that the last person stops believing in him, which is not likely to happen until mankind is extinct.

17. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

This sounds ominous. God ain't finished killing us yet but at least there's a chance we'll be forgiven. Create it....kill it....forgive it. Sounds like a plan to me.

18. Adstar Valued Senior Member

I find it absolutely amazing that people think Gods existence or otherwise is dependant on some human believing in Him. Talk about vain human pride.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

19. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

And I think its absurd to think otherwise.

It has nothing to do with vain human pride. It is vain human pride, in my opinion, to believe that this omniscient, omnipotent being created the earth and every life form on it, and gave man dominion over it. I think it is arrogant to believe that in this entire vast universe, man is God's favorite. I think it is ridiculous to believe that God listens to the prayers of 6 1/2 billion people about their own materialist petty woes and complaints and actually does something to intervene. I think it is self-absorbed to think that such a God would even care if any one of us existed.

So many religions claim to praise, worship and love God but what most of them serve to do is enslave, disrespect and contain "him".

That, I think, is the height of hubris.

So, it seems we disagree.

20. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

there are so many question on what god can and cant do.. i ... cant.. stop.. .. fingers.. must.. type ... it.... ...forgive.. me...

can god create a stone he cannot lift?

21. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

Well, I've e-mailed God's support team for you.

Apparently he regrets that you are disapointed with the service you are receiving and will take every reasonable measure to ensure a comfortable life, as set out by the EULA which unfortunately states developer non-liability for hardware failure.

I personally would reccomend that you keep your genetics up-to-date, with the latest antivirals and use latex 'firewalls' when performing I/O operations with the general public.

22. perfectblue given a second chance Registered Senior Member

i hate to do this...

umm, can it not be argued that essentially god did technically die? you see, if it is argued that jesus is indeed the son of god, and is a piece of the holy trinity that the god-entity is composed of, then god did die when jesus died, since it can be argued that jesus and god are the same being, and jesus is a piece of said being made mortal.

i think that i just like to pick fights with you, one_raven.

23. perfectblue given a second chance Registered Senior Member

oh, and back to the original question(s).

1. technically, that depends on whether or not you believe god is omnipotent. didn't nietze say he's already dead?

2. well, it goes back to the whole omnipotence thing. yes; he could, but i don't think that god would want to do that. you see, writing a book with all of the answers would take away that neat thing that he gave to us called "free will". if there was this special book, it would ultimately destroy any other religion and athiesm and any other philosiphy. therefore, people would have no choice but to worship god, and that very specific god who wrote the book. i'm quite sure god likes all the nom-de-plumes he's got out there.

3. stop killing us? and take away his influx of fresh souls? and give the devil nothing to do? i hardly think so. plus - what a crowded frigging place china would be if no one died. on forgiving those he kills, i think that going to heaven is supposed to be your reward for being killed. if you end up in hell, then, sorry!.

4. humans, in their nature, were not created to be perfect. (don't jump on me with evolution, i'm just answering the question in its basic form.) free will is what prevents us from this "perfection" you speak of; it ultimately is the main inhibiting reason most people don't ever achieve some form of perfection. you also must take this word, perfection, apart and disect its meaning - perfect on what level? perfect all around? impossible. even for an omnipotent god.

5. i'm sure he could, but every good hero must have a nemesis. and i'm quite sure that if 'god' and 'the devil' sorted out their differences, the church would never let us know. not in a million years. who knows, they might have already become buddies.

see 1 and 2.

6. uhh, yeah! didn't you know that satan, mary queen of scots, nietze and god make a great golf foursome? it's been reported that they're following the robert trent jones trail right now. i bet god can't wait until arnold palmer kicks the bucket.