It's real

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Cyperium, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

Can you imagine love to feel different?
    Can you imagine hate to feel different?
    Can you imagine touch to feel different?
    Can you imagine sorrow to feel different?
    Can you imagine warmth to feel different?
    Can you imagine coldness to feel different?

What is the syntax of the brain? What is the code used?

Do feelings feel the same to everyone?

For relativity to work, there has to be something to be relative to (in the same field). So where does the feelings start? Where is it's field?

It's real, cause we feel it. It's real cause it can't feel differently and yet be the same. It's real, cause it is the only way.

And deep down, can you really imagine yourself to be different?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.

3. what exact question are you asking here? where feelings start and how come they feel the same to everyone?

if that is the question, then i would say that in part you wont get the right answer because your question is incorrect. nothing feels the same to two different people, their reactions to the stimulus may be similar enough to create a sense of empathy, but they are probably never really the same.

feelings i believe are generated when stimuli are processed by the sensory organs and then a reaction is produced when certain hormones or other chemical compounds are released by the body in conjunction with a nervous impulse. if that is the case then relativity only comes into play when the mind begins to make a judgement about whether the "feeling" produced as a result of this process is desireable or undesireable. we could safely say that what we judge as pain is usually an unwanted feeling, so we seek to avoid the stimuli that cause this reaction to one degree or another. that doesnt mean that our bodies regard pain as anything particularly bad, they just see the feeling as the end result of the process of sensory perception in regards to a particular object. our minds make the pain response bad for us once we have already experienced pleasure because the mind works using a set of comparisons and contrasts when attempting to determine information about a subject.

i guess youre also saying here that once the difference between good and bad stimuli or even just stimuli on opposite ends of any other spectrum is determined, we cant change our perception of the things in regard to the feelings they generate. i dont believe thats true either. you may not be able to imagine feeling different, but with enough conditioning im sure you could learn to develop different emotional reactions to coincide with the physical ones. for example, if you were to prick yourself with a needle everytime you felt happy, one of two things would happen: either you would attempt to avoid the stimuli that make you feel happy to avoid the feeling of being pricked with a needle, or you would learn to accept the prick of the needle as an essential part of the response to something that makes you happy, therefore nullifying your otherwise negative emotional response to the pinprick under normal circumstances. thats how that stuff works. you could change the nature of your feelings, its just that no one wants to sit around and attempt to alter their emotional responses with 40,000,000 pinpricks just to find out to what extent the conditioning will work.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Precisely what the flying fuck are you yammering about?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

Well I don't understand why this is in the religious section, but ok. Feelings are different for everyone because each brain is unique, but fundamentally everyone feels the same things. When I feel sorrow, it's probably not that different in relation to sorrow my dog feels when he is left home alone.

I'm not sure if relativity relates to the workings of the brain. Correct me if I'm wrong but the brain and the nervous system are a bit chaotic and you can not predict how someone will feel in a certain circumstance.

8. craterchains (Norval What will you know tomorrow? Registered Senior Member

I'm with Hap on this one, except I don't care WTF "It's" talkin about.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

I don't either, I'm just trying to piss him off.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Yes I can.
    Without a doubt.

Not only because I can't imagine two people with VASTLY different lives and experiences feeling two things the same way...
    Not only because I see different people having pointedly different reactions to different situations and emotions...
    But because MY OWN emotions have changed over the years, so I know this first hand.

Are you saying you have not changed or evolved emotionally over the years?
    Your outlook on life and internal processing of emotions have not been greatly affected by your experiences in life?
    You are exactly the same, have the exact same emotions and the exact same reactions to situations in life?

Have you not matured at all?

Why is this in the Religion section?

11. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

But I think they are! Otherwise you have different feelings!

Well, feelings are what they are. Feelings are not reactions in the brain. I'm talking about the feelings *not* the reactions in the brain (and they are mutually exclusive).

I may like a certain kind of music, that I later on in my life like another kind of music doesn't mean that the feeling of likeness has changed. The feeling of "glad" hasn't changed because I am glad of other things!

Sure, but as above, whether I feel "sad" or "happy" for something doesn't mean that the actual feeling of sadness or happiness has changed!

I'm sure there's one or two out there testing it allready...but anyway, if you pin yourself everytime you feel happy, the feeling of happiness wouldn't changed, you would try to avoid pinning yourself though since it hurts. The "hurts" is the association you get when pinning yourself, not "happy"...

12. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

I don't think they have changed.

Laughter is something that is felt to change over the years for most people, but that doesn't mean that the laughter itself has changed, it has only been mixed with feelings like responsibility, understanding and respect. Cause feelings of resposibility, understanding and respect are things that should be taken into account before laughing and even while laughing so that you don't hurt anyone with your laughter.

Those that try to "make fun" of another person often mix their laughter with bad feelings instead.

So, I just don't think the feelings have changed since you matured (ok, the mixed feelings do feel different than the pure feelings, but here I'm talking about the pure feelings, but even so the pure feelings can be extracted from the mixed feelings).

The necessary "me" have not changed. But I react differently to situations in life because the former reactions really didn't help me. But the reason I reacted hasn't changed (unless of course I found out that it was a bad reason anyway). However the feelings I have are the same and I am the same, I have only different experiances which makes me react differently and feel different feelings about the situations at hand (with this I mean; I may feel "happiness" instead of "sadness", but the feelings themselves hasn't changed).

Why? Shouldn't it be here?

Think less of that and more of the things I say and we'll see if we get to the point as to why this is in the religion section.

13. clearly youve never heard of Pavlov.

14. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Yes

If we're talking about information encoding then I don't know.

Very likely.

They start at your medulla amblangada (I might have mispelled that). The 'field' would be biochemistry.

"It's" real because "It's" part of reality. You can feel / perceive a wide variety of things that are not real. This is called hallucination.

Not that the question or answer are relevent to anything, but yes I can.

15. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Feelings are not reactions in the brain.

That is the flaw in your argument. Yes, they are.

16. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Cyperium,

As Q says - yes they are. What other mechnaism is there that can feel?

It is exactly the reactions in the brain that are feelings. These reactions in the brain and feelings are one and the same thing. Can you show how they could be different?

17. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

I think you should pay some respect to your frontal lobe. This is responsible for voluntary movement and planning and is thought to be the most significant lobe for personality and intelligence.

Unfortunately, many theists (such as yourself) lack this imporant part of the brain.

18. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Awareness? Is that a shared field of relativity? Feelings are transient and come and go. They are a product of mind. They have no substance beyond shared knowledge and mind.

19. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

I haven't, tell me about him.

20. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

I'm talking about the feeling, even if it's a hallucination, it's still real (as a feeling).

21. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

No, because I don't feel it where the reactions are. Do I feel glad in the brain??? No, I feel glad in my heart (or even in my whole body), so the feelings cannot be the reactions. Feelings <> reactions. Perhaps the reactions give rise to the feelings, perhaps not, I don't know how it works, but again! I'm talking about the feelings *not* the reactions!

22. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

I wonder.

Because they are different! You are missing the obvious!

23. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

I don't feel it where the reactions are. Do I feel glad in the brain??? No, I feel glad in my heart (or even in my whole body), so the feelings cannot be the reactions.

I don't know how it works

You can, by simply reading up on the Limbic System and Hypothalamus of the brain. Then, read up on the Heart.