Where all the water came from?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Cyperium, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

So what do you say? Did a comet crash into earth???

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Or what? There's pretty much water on earth, it's hard to imagine how it got there....really.

Also, for the earth (and sun and the planets) to form, there should have been much debri, so where did that come from? And by much, I REALLY really really do mean MUCH! Not imagining some dust cloud floating in space, but MUCH, like a gigantic FLOOD of dust.

You seem to have all the answers, but only if you make them tiny...only if they fit into your theories...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

it's hard to imagine how it got there....really. Not imagining some dust cloud floating in space

Science does not try to 'imagine' how things work as do those who won't take the time to learn something.

You seem to have all the answers, but only if you make them tiny...only if they fit into your theories...

God did it. Isn't that what you wanted to hear? Does that not fit your 'tiny' worldview?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lucas Registered Senior Member

The idea that most of Earth's water was brought by comets doesn't hold water (pun intended) anymore. Actually is believed that it came from the interior of Earth

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

But even if it did come from a comet, the dust cloud would have settled millions of years ago.

8. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I seem to be all over the places ...

9. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

Science? Oh, I didn't expect "Science" to imagine anything, I really don't expect "Science" to do anything else either.

People who does scientific things once in a while has to imagine things. Sometimes a stretch is needed.

People are people, you don't think they dream just because they are scientists? You don't think they look at things with awe?

Do you imagine things? I'm sure you do, otherwise things would get pretty boring.

In fact, imagining is a great way to learn.

No, what I wanted to hear is "I don't know" so we can move on. Would I expect atheists to say "God did it"?

But I want you to see that all is not crystal clear and your Theories are just a detailed description of imagination. I also try to imagine things that is consistent with reality. Consistent but not known is a great imagination.

10. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Do you imagine things? I'm sure you do, otherwise things would get pretty boring.

In fact, imagining is a great way to learn.

I agree, and yes, I can imagine a great many things.

I can imagine an all-powerful being whipping the universe into shape, carefully placing each star and galaxy in its proper position, moving away from us, exactly which would fool us into thinking the universe came about from a single point. I can imagine we were placed here by said being in our current form, once again fooled into thinking we evolved on our own.

Yes, I can imagine a great many things.

I also try to imagine things that is consistent with reality. Consistent but not known is a great imagination.

Then, you must imagine the earth to be flat, as that is consistent with the view out your window.

11. Onefinity Registered Senior Member

The earth is flat. It's also spherical.

12. Scott Myers Newbie Registered Senior Member

Lucas "The idea that most of Earth's water was brought by comets doesn't hold water (pun intended) anymore. Actually is believed that it came from the interior of Earth"

Interesting theory... considering this, from Genesis "and the subterrranean waters burst forth upon the earth for forty days and nights".

The Genesis model describes also a canopy of liquid water, (or very extreme humidity) that surrounded the earth. When that broke, that was the first rain. Prior to that; water for plants, survival etc. rose up from the earth, or collected as dew in the morning. This is said to be pre-rain cycle.

The only way to account for a world wide flood, (under present circumstances) would be for the atmosphere to release all of the water it contained all at once, and for all 'glacial reserves' to be available, and for all the other water, usually underground etc. to be on the surface all at once.

Natuarally, the water would begin evaporaing imediately (begining the rain cycle as we know it), and we know this kind of world wide, 'water release' is not possible now for certain. The Genesis story also promises that such a flood would not ever happen again. It was only possible for this to happen one time, so the model is consistant.

The Genesis 'water canopy' pre-flood notion, is interesting to consider also with other findings as well. With such a canopy, the whole earth would have been much more balanced and temperate. There would not have been such extreme hot and cold spots, as we see with polar caps etc. The sun's energy would have radiated more generally all over the globe.

When palm trees were found burried in ice at the North Pole, the creation story is a more sensable explanation than some sort of metaphysical earth conveyor, which some have posed.

Anyhow, there's more to the Genesis story than some of you know, or care to learn about, much more. But whatever; that's enough for now.

13. Scott Myers Newbie Registered Senior Member

This is always in the conversation, but the short-sighted church leaders of that time failed to read the book they claimed infalible. If they had, they would have known that the Bible mentions a sphere of the earth.

I'll find it for you sometime. I don't remember where it is, but it was not the Bible, or God who gave the 'flat earth' notion, it was a few guys, so get over it. They do not represent me, (or the biblically based science) anymore than spontaneously generated flies represents your views.

14. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

"biblically based science"

*rolls in laughter*

15. Scott Myers Newbie Registered Senior Member

HMMMM...

Please disprove the Bible for us using Science.

16. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

That's better. But I sense irony...

I can imagine that everything came from one point to our view, while the point where everything came from in reality existed in all points. You see, it's much better when it is consistent with reality.

Yeah! Bring it on! I can believe the earth is flat! You can too

it's fun. WHOOAH! Let's make belief! Yeah!

For a much more interesting imagination though, face this:
    Here we are at the earth, we think that we have the no.1 perspective, the important point to make conclusions. We saw the earth was round since we moved out to space and saw it through our own eyes (our no.1 perspective - a.k.a the important point). Though Nils von Granderhoffen got into a space rocket, and flew through space to a vast point away from all eyes of humanly importance. It wasn't really of this world, it was through a perspective far, far from us, but close, close to us. Everything was everywhere, each point was inside out, and through each perspective visible. Thought was made to think, "how" and "why"? He saw our ignorance at earth, where we didn't realise what it meant what we said. Everything at every point moves away, not only from us, from everything, everything moves away from everything else, there is no center point, at every point the other points moved away (at the same pace?), he realised that on earth he was inside the dimensions. While being outside the dimensions, he could see everything at every angle.

ok, I have a question; does everything move away from us at the same speed at all directions?

17. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Q,

Umm.
    Actually.
    Yeah it does.
    Watch it, Q. You're becoming an inductivist. Maybe even a positivist if you're not careful.

The thing is that science doesn't only imagine. It also works out methods that would falsify that which is imagined (the theory). If these methods don't falsify the theory then it stands... for the time being. Until someone else imagines different ways to falsify the theory. In which case, another theory had better be imagined to replace the old (or the original theory can be imagined differently to make up for the new observations).

Imagination is key.
    Predictions and experiments are not science. They are merely part of the method of science. They do not create the theories themselves.
    Imagination does that.

Cyperium,

Anyway.
    As to the topic. (The side-topic.)
    A flood of dust? Yeah? So? Is that so difficult to imagine?
    Pretty limitied imagination you got there.

Umm. Not quite. People knew the earth was round long before it was seen from space...
    In fact, the ancient greeks were the first to show that the Earth was round, but that knowledge was lost because religious junkies like you interpreted their bible to say that the Earth was flat. So for a thousand years or more the Earth was flat because of your religion's mandates. And it was quite averse to being proven wrong in that. As it has in so many other things.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2005
  18. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

He he! You still didn't get it

ha ha

lol !!!

19. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I don't have to disprove it! Like any other mythology, to understand bible it has to be read like poetry not prose, like metaphor, not some scientifical or other factual information.
    Should I give you the DNA of the snake in the garden of Eden or tell you what the serpent as a archetype in human psyche means?
    Quite simply, there is no such DNA to discover, it is not a biological and it isn't a spiritual question; it's a psychological one.

20. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Let me guess. You've got some bible verse in mind about a FLOOD of dust or something? Or are you going to equate the flood of dust with a flood of water and make it the Biblical flood (which was originally a Babylonian tale, by the way.)

Why are you trying to be so sly? There are multiple ways of interpreting the bible so that it can be seen to jibe with modern science. In fact, I encourage you religious types to do so, so that you'll stop trying to drag us back to the middle ages. The problem with you doing so is being made apparent in your present attitude, however. If you interpret your bible that way, then you end up believing that the bible said it first rather than the other way around. And then when science moves on (as it always does) your convictions will be so wedded to the faith you've already ascribed to in your new interpretation of the bible that you'll have to be dragged, kicking and screaming again into the modern age (meanwhile you'll be trying to drag us back into the past as religion dwells in the past as a habit, a safe zone.)

So. Why don't you just spit it out? You're not being as witty as you think you are, I asssure you.

(BY the way, I edited my post above yours to add to my comments to you. You might not have ssen it.)

21. Scott Myers Newbie Registered Senior Member

If we agree that our observations are correct, regarding an expanding universe, then yes, all things move away from us at the same speed in all directions. This is very important, and at first glance has the feeling of an egocentric view, but if you try to model it, the only way for the expansion to not be centered around us, and our observations, then your statement must be true.

If you cam visualize the the X Y and Z in cubist forms, and then expand your imagined universe equally6 in all dimensions, depths.. you will notice that from any point in space, the observations are equal. There is no relative difference. Try it.

I think you are accurate, since the earth is not the center of a physical universe. All points are equal, and observably so.

22. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

I agree, the Bible isn't scientific and shouldn't be treated that way. The Bible is a teaching of the world, but not scientifically. The important things is that God made it, we got a story behind it so that we can make it actual, even if it is not exactly as portraited in the Bible, the universe is still any way you see it a complex and 'intelligent' construction which holds the laws for any complexibility and any intelligence and any symmetry. We are a part of it, and really, if complexity of order can make us think, then the universe has some resources too, cause everything is by law, thus also ordered.

By intelligent, I mean that it is made with insight of it's own needs. Either it is intelligent or it has to have been more universes that didn't work out (if it was by random) possibly infinite number of universes, or the laws had to evolve to represent a working universe somehow.

23. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

I just mean that you didn't see the "grandness" and HUGENESS that I tried to describe in my first post. Now it was only a flood of dust

That was what I meant with that you still didn't understand even though you said I had small imagination not to be able to imagine it