Societies worse off 'when they have God on their side'

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by KennyJC, Oct 4, 2005.

1. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

RELIGIOUS belief can cause damage to a society, contributing towards high murder rates, abortion, sexual promiscuity and suicide, according to research published today.

According to the study, belief in and worship of God are not only unnecessary for a healthy society but may actually contribute to social problems.

The study counters the view of believers that religion is necessary to provide the moral and ethical foundations of a healthy society.

It compares the social peformance of relatively secular countries, such as Britain, with the US, where the majority believes in a creator rather than the theory of evolution. Many conservative evangelicals in the US consider Darwinism to be a social evil, believing that it inspires atheism and amorality.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1798944,00.html

I have been saying this all along - Comparing secular nations to nations with strong religious beliefs proves beyond all doubt that secular nations are more stable with less social ills.

So not only does religion contribute to the US's burgeoning state of intellectual dysfunction, but also contribues to it social decline.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. dr. cello Thrilling Conversationalist Registered Senior Member

as much as i hate to say it, correlation is not causation. more studies are needed.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

Possibly. But I don't think it can be ignored that all wealthy secular nations are very stable, which goes against the argument of many theists here that a godless society is a dangerous one. Most of Europe, Austrailia, Japan are good examples of that.

I could use the Middle East as an example of social unrest dues to religious values, however since it's not classed as wealthy it can't be counted. America, however is different in that it is wealthy and at the same time, deeply religious. But it is hardly a sparkling endorsement of the state of religion in a modern nation were the citizens are largely scientifically ignorant whilst the morals of the religion doesn't appear to do a good job in keeping social decline at bay.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. dr. cello Thrilling Conversationalist Registered Senior Member

it does grant that godless societies are not necessarily dangerous, i suppose. but simply because there is a correlation does not mean there is a cause. perhaps there is another factor? perhaps criminals are more religious than the non-religious? there are many factors to take into account before we can even begin to suggest that religion causes crime. what the correlation does demonstrate, is that a lack of religion certainly -doesn't- cause crime.

i found this link in a completely unrelated search. horribly fallacious religious response to that article: http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=46575