Point and laugh at Skeptics: Giant Squid photographed in the Wild

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by Xevious, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Xevious Truth Beyond Logic Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xevious Truth Beyond Logic Registered Senior Member

Yep, there it goes... "Oh, there wern't really any skeptics before." Uh-huh.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Well I have to admit that this forum has never really had a "Giant Squid" thread before, so I can say that I haven't seen anyone suggest they didn't exist.

as Shaman_ suggested, they have been found dead on beaches before, I wouldn't be suprised if the Japanese study it just to get an idea of breeding supersquids for Calamari. (someone will make money out of that, I just feel sorry for any poor chief trying to wrestle a 26 foot Squid)

Might stop Whaling though, if they are chasing large squids instead.

Well you could ask if their is skeptics for "Giant Jellyfish", since they are known to exist to.

8. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

lol no one has been denying the existence of giant squid. Many carcasses have been examined.

These new photos are exciting because they are the first to be taken of a live one I think.

9. Squeak22 4th Level Human Registered Senior Member

I think the ones they found beached were smaller too.

10. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

Still, noone really denied their existence

11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

12. dr. cello Thrilling Conversationalist Registered Senior Member

i have never encountered a squid sceptic.

13. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

They are aliens conspirating fo world domination!!!!!!!!

Yaba Daba! :m:

14. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Of course not, not since the beginning of the 20th century anyways.
    You can go and see one in the Museum of Natural History in London.

I suggest you do more research before posting,
    otherwise it just shines incompetence and quite limited knowledge base.

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

WOW! Now that would taste really good along with my other sushi!

16. Squeak22 4th Level Human Registered Senior Member

Probably not, larger animals tend to be more gamey. (Read: tougher)

17. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Actually it would taste awful, because

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_squid

p.s.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4288772.stm

18. Mystech Adult Supervision Required Registered Senior Member

Saw the thread title and had to stop in - we've known of the existence of this creature for quite some time. Who was denying it?

Oh well I guess that crypto zoology's next task is to find the rare and elusive squid skeptic.

19. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

20. Xevious Truth Beyond Logic Registered Senior Member

You find a single word closely associated with the Giant Squid throughout many of the articles one does find online: MYTH. Be realistic. That word would not be associated with the Giant Squid unless it at one time was thought to be in the same category as things like Nessie, Bigfoot, Yeti, and at the time a few hundred years ago, the Giant Squid shared this same category with things like Ball Lightining, Meteorites, and quite a few other things we take for granted now.

So why am I laughing? It shows you how much of an about face skeptics and scientists do when something from myth and legend turns out to not only be partly, but ENTIRELY true. The reactions of the "skeptics" here on Sciforums only reinforces what I've said for years about "skeptics". How amusing it is...

21. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

On the subject of the giant squid there were no skeptics and there was no 'about face'.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Clearly you had not done any research before starting this thread...

22. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

They're at the same "myth" category as mummies of ancient Egypt.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. Silas asimovbot Registered Senior Member

What do you think skeptics are? People who pick one set of beliefs and stick with them through thick and thin in contrast to another set of beliefs?

No, we reserve judgement on that for which there is no evidence. However, in the face of an unsupported belief that has a large hold on a lot of people, we are more likely to try to point out how unsupported the belief is, in order to help people try to see more clearly and think more rationally.

Skeptics then accept the existence of things for which the evidence becomes available. So, if a skeptic ever said "I don't believe in giant squid because there's never been any incontrovertible proof of it" and the proof actually turns up, then the skeptic is maintaining perfectly his record of rationality by saying "I believe in giant squid since there is now proof of their existence."

There's no reason to laugh at a skeptic that rightly and properly changes his or her opinion according to the available evidence. That is, in fact, the proudly kept hallmark of the skeptic!

The Cryptozoology list at The Skeptic's Dictionary: http://skepdic.com/ticrypto.html Giant Squid not being in this list, they aren't a credible item to brand skeptics with. No-one here is "changing their story", probably because none of them were previously aware of any mythology surrounding Giant Squids in the first place.