Tips to stay awake

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by bdee69, Jun 23, 2005.

1. bdee69 Registered Member

I'm doin an 85 hour dj set for charity

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

, any tips preperation or how to stay awake????

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

hmm, 85 hours, I have never done that much, I have done 48, but I can do that standing on my head. for some reason if I don't make my self sleep I will never get tired.

I would recommend you don't drink any pop or coffee, and stay away from sugary thing leading up to the DJ thing. they will have more effect if you are not used to it. or just do some crystal meth, that works also =]

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. BHS Riposte Artiste Registered Senior Member

Yep. I agree with cato. Crank is your best bet.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. plexus Registered Senior Member

Drink tea. Or coffee. Whatever usually keeps you up. Or, as soon as you see that you're getting sleepy, get excited somehow.

8. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

Make sure you have close to 85 hours of music. The last thing you want is to hear the same song for the 3rd time when you're nodding out.

9. Sauce We're Living To Die Registered Senior Member

Hmmm, I was thinking of something else, but crank sounds WAY better. Try that

10. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

Fuck the crank or the meth!! At the end of the 85 hours, you will feel like shit!!! Eat a lot of pasta or something similar (spaghetti, lasagna) the night before the event starts, get a good nights sleep, eat a healthy breakfast (anything, really, but healthy, not too much processed sugar, sodium or fat), maybe get some No-doze or Vivarin, just in case, as a last resort, though this can make you feel shitty too. When you get tired, get up and walk around during a song, splash cold water on your face. Don't sit too much. Stay on your feet. Attitude: I can do it! Damn this is good music! Shit, I'm good, I'm the man!!

I like a lot of coffee, because it not only has caffeine, but it makes you piss a lot, and if you have to piss a lot, it's hard to sleep. Tea also could work. Try to stay away from cokes and sweets though. They have a short-term affect, but eventually make it harder to stay awake. When you get hungry try some more pasta, or a sandwich, but not too much at any one time.

Anyone else got ideas? I used to stay up for about 72 hours at a stretch in the Army on a regular basis, and these things helped. Maybe I was used to it too though. I never got more than 5 hours sleep at a time for 8 years. And 85 hours? Man, get someone to fill in for you for a few hours here and there if you can!!!

Good luck, and have fun.

11. bdee69 Registered Member

cheers guys

unfortunately i have to do the whole thing with 15 mins rest every 8 hours, what should i do in my rest time, sleep or not???

12. Gondolin Hell hath no fury like squid Registered Senior Member

I would say dont sleep. That will make you want to sleep more.

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Drink very strong green tea (not from teabags!) and also matte tea with guarana.
    It will keep you up.

p.s. Oh, and you'll probably see hallucinations at the end of it.

14. Sauce We're Living To Die Registered Senior Member

If you see a blue bunny telling you to kill and eat a flamingo, just don't do it ok? *We all learn*

15. TheMidnight12AM The Midnight Registered Senior Member

I would suggest staying away from the illegal methods.

Your best bet for staying awake that long is a combination of caffeine, social interaction and constant activity.

16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Sounds like you're being exploited. How well are you being paid for this?

17. bdee69 Registered Member

i aint bein paid, it's raising money for my friend who broke his neck in a rugby accident. and 84 hours is the current world record so i'm tryin to beat it, no idea why

18. Satyr Banned Banned

The best way to stay awake is to not fall asleep.
    Of course there is…zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Huh?
    What happened?

19. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

You'd be surprised how much 15 min of sleep can help. Just do it on a HARD surface, like a floor or top of a dresser, desk, something flat and hard, preferably off the ground though. Don't want to get too comfortable. Try it at home or something before you go though, just to make sure you are the same as me.

Break the record, my friend, and be sure to let us know how it turns out. Do you have a lap-top, you could post some between songs? Let us know how it's going? Maybe we can help?

20. riku_124 High School Smoker Registered Senior Member

have fun smoke some dope don’t get caught!

lol im 14 just take your ps2 or xbox with you and a TV and paly games in-between songs! that’s what id do!
    but most importantly have fun its for your friend!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2005
  21. Carcasm not a Nilometer, a Realometer Registered Senior Member

my friends and I stay up for long periods for fun. Smoke speed. (Or borrow "legal speed"- Adderol or Ritalin. It works just as well if you take enough)

22. Roman Banned Banned

If you're going for a world record, there may be a drug test. If there is one, I'd shy away from amphetamine. Otherwise, I'd say defnititely get yourself some. Legal speed would be the best, as it's pretty safe, cheap, easy to get and safe. Amphetamines, though, are appetite suppressants, so the following advice is if you don't do anything illegal.

I don't like drinking coffee when I have to stay up for long periods of time, as it messes with my gut too much.

I recommend eating sugars and fats non stop. Pounding PopTarts and Snickers every half hour will really help, as the energy keeps one up and going. High energy foods are what you want, simple sugars especially. Simple sugars will be easy for your body to manage.

Little naps are very helpful, much more than you'd think. You'll probably end up passing out on your feet for brief periods. Don't worry; you're never asleep longer than you think you are.

I've pack rafted down flooded rivers on sleep after several days of hell biking on little sleep, and I found eating smoked salmon and Almond Joys and Snickers really worked good.

If you think you'll be sweating, you'll want to replace lost salts. Pringles and Twix make an excellent combo meal. You'll also want to stay well hydrated, as dehydration makes on sleepy.

Cadbury chocolate is a great pick-me-up, on par with Ritalin. Make sure you have a lot available.

You'll also experience problems with regulating body heat. You'll go from extremely cold to sweating and burning and back and forth. Have a coat or two, but wear summer garb. That way you can adjust your temp as you need to.

23. geistkiesel Valued Senior Member

Have you tried a few bowls of methamphetamine? That will do the trick.
    Geistkiesel