The Holly smokes catholic church

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Chatha, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

Maybe its just me but whenever I look at history I really feel much of christianity or religion in general is fabricated.The Catholic church is amongst the most currupt lot on earth, at least they used to be in medieval times. This guys extorted people, gave blessings and salvation for money, and jussled with the monarchy for power and control of the lands and people. They became ridiculously wealthy and waged war on kings and other nobles....blah blah blah. Oh and lets not forget the genocides of the crusades. I'm not the smartest guy in the world but is this religion or beaurucracy? Church or state?

P.S spoken by a christian

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

This is old news I think even most catholics would admit this one, absolute power corrupts absolutely. The crusades, while nasty, were nothing close to genocidal.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. most history is distorted by the winners, that's why many unbiased historians look at all sides of a question now, instead of from their point of view
    no denying it, that's why there was Martin Luther & the protestant revolt, but that whole period smacked of abuse by kings, nobles too, leading up to Louis the 14th (the Sun King) & Henry the 8th (I want a son to be king). that lead to the American & French revolts
    actually, this is how wars were fought then, Greeks & Jews got the worst, but muslims gave in kind, & if you look into the historical reasons for the wars, it was the interference by the Seljuk Turks on Christian pilgrims to the holy land that started it, the animosity of two peoples that looked at each other as infidels
    see below:
    http://website.lineone.net/~ssleightholm/dict/glossary/crusade.htm

both, because it was given lands, territory by wealthy catholics, kings & nobles. this led to power, then abuse.
    also, tradition started to replace the Bible as the standard early in its history; see Maryism, saints, celibacy, heirarchy

born-again or cultural?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Silvertusk Registered Senior Member

You are absolutley right. But don't blame Christianity for humans's complete arse interpretation of it. If you are a christian you know what is written and what the message is. It is not that hard. Don't be fased by people around you making a complete balls of it all. As long as you understand and try to live your life as a good Christian then that is all that really matters.

8. audible un de plusieurs autres Registered Senior Member

is this the words spoken by jesus,that gospel writers said he said, that paul had been told the gospel writers had said, that jesus said.

it's a game of chinese whispers.

have you read what jesus has aledgedly said in the bible, a lot of it you wont like, some of it extremly stupid, some of it extremly cruel, and some full of common sense.( go figure)

also what is a good xian.
    is it superior to a good person?.
    or is it the same as a good person?.
    or is it inferior to a good person?.

9. Silas asimovbot Registered Senior Member

As someone who is not so much a student of history but certainly interested in it (history as a process, I mean), I think it should be noted that the Catholic Church is one of the greatest repositories of genuine source documentary materials, going back well over a millennium.

I remember in 1999 I used to have a BBC tickertape on my screen, and once the "On This Day" recorded the death of a Pope - in 999! It absolutely staggered me that here was a historical event that could be pinned to an exact date, a thousand years ago.