Why do Christians worship on Sunday?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Medicine*Woman, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Is it because they're worshipping the "Day of the Sun God," and don't even know it?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Yorda Registered Senior Member

Is that why it's called Sun-day?
    But in the Bible, God says that we should honor the 7th day because God rested that day.
    I think all religions come from Egypt, do you think so too?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ozymandias Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

No.

How is worshiping God on the day of the sun god worshiping the day of the sun god?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

Yorda: Is that why it's called Sun-day?
    M*W: No, it was literally named after the Sun.

Monday: The day of the Moon translated from Latin lunae.

Tuesday: Tyr's day, the Old Norse God of war; Latin-dies Martis, from the planet Mars.

Wednesday: Wodin's day: Wodin was the most powerful God of all in the Norse mythology.

Thursday: Thor's day, Thor was the second greatest God after Wodin. He is mostly known for his hammer with which he made thunder and ligthning, and for his two birds, Hugin and Munin. In Latin, dies Jovis from the planet Jupiter.

Friday: The Roman love goddess Venus has her counterpart in the Nordic Freya; Old Norse Frigg and Freyja.

Saturday: Latin for Saturn dies, and also meaning "the day of the sabbath."

Sunday: 'son' comes from Old Norse sunna = sun.
    Yorda: But in the Bible, God says that we should honor the 7th day because God rested that day. I think all religions come from Egypt, do you think so too?
    M*W: The sun worshipping religions came out of Egypt during the time of Moses, but the sun, planets and stars were worshipped since the time of early humans.

8. enton www.truthcaster.com Registered Senior Member

Sunday is a term ascribed to denote sun`s day. Like other days of the week, Luna`s day, Mars` day, Mercury`s, Jupiter`s day, Venus` day, Saturn`s day.
    And in Hebrew calendar, sunday is not sunday likewise the months too. A very big difference!

The sun god acknowledged by Helio/Elagabalus (child emperor of Rome A.D. 222 more or less) was represented by a piece of black stone.

Well, it cannot be denied that many people do worship the sun. They are misled since the sun is just a creature.

In the new testament, worship gathering falls saturday sunset in the Gregorian Calendar.

9. Yorda Registered Senior Member

M*W: The sun worshipping religions came out of Egypt during the time of Moses, but the sun, planets and stars were worshipped since the time of early humans.
    Yorda: Ok, but I still think there were people who worshipped an invisible God which created the sun, planets and everything we see.

10. Silvertusk Registered Senior Member

No - It is because Jesus was ressurected on the the Sunday. This is why Christians worship on a sunday.

11. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Look into other languages.

In my native language, Slovene, "Sunday" is "nedelja", which literally means 'the day without work'.

12. Silvertusk Registered Senior Member

In my language that applies to most days if I try hard enough.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

Actually, sunday (and it's german name, sonntag) come from the latin "dies solis". It was the name given to a pagan Roman holiday (sun's day).

Atleast, that is what I was thinking. I looked it up at wikipedia.com and it gives the same explanation that you gave

. I looked it up in Encarta Reference Library (huge encyclopedia from Microsoft) and it confirms my theory.

In the early days of Christianity, Sunday began to replace the Sabbath and to be observed to honor the resurrection of Christ. Sunday was instituted as a day of rest, consecrated especially to the service of God, by the Roman emperor Constantine the Great. - from Encarta

14. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

enton: Sunday is a term ascribed to denote sun`s day. Like other days of the week, Luna`s day, Mars` day, Mercury`s, Jupiter`s day, Venus` day, Saturn`s day. And in Hebrew calendar, sunday is not sunday likewise the months too. A very big difference!

The sun god acknowledged by Helio/Elagabalus (child emperor of Rome A.D. 222 more or less) was represented by a piece of black stone.
    M*W: The "sun god" was well known and worshipped long before the times of Helio and Elagabalus. They simply perpetuted the ritual.
    However, since you mentioned it, "Helio," means "Sun" in Greek. "Helio" and/or "Heli," was an Egyptian title and the code name given to Joseph (Jesus' step-father). Incidentally, the ancient sun worshippers also feared the sun as they believed "Helios" was also "Hell."
    enton: Well, it cannot be denied that many people do worship the sun. They are misled since the sun is just a creature.
    M*W: The sun was the first ancient god who created the heavens and Earth with its warmth and brought the animals of the sea out upon the land. It warmed the Earth and brought vegetation. Yet, every night it "died" but rose again in the morning. The ancients feared the darkness of night and attributed the darkness to evil. The sun that ruled the day was considered to be a male deity. The "darkness" of night was ruled by the female moon. The moon was familiarly known as the "Dark Goddess." Jesus represented the "Sun(son) of God," and Mary Magdalen represented the moon. Together, they symbolize perfection and completion as the "fully human" and androgynous couple "God". Jesus is also called the "Morningstar," and The Magdalen represents Venus. The ancient symbol for female is "V" as it represents the womb.
    enton: In the new testament, worship gathering falls saturday sunset in the Gregorian Calendar.
    M*W: Long before the Gregorian Calendar was created, the Sabbath began at sundown Friday and lasted until sundown Saturday night. Worshipping the sun on Sun-Day was the day Pagans worshipped their God Mithra. That's just another Pagan holiday hidden under the veil of Christianity.

Essentially, there is no god, nor there never has been any god, but the sun.

15. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Sunday worshipping Christians are, in fact, relying on nonbiblical arguments. The Sabbath, which the Lord has commanded kept, part of the Law of which not one iota will change, is still Saturday.

I have somewhere, not in my primary library but stashed in a box somewhere, a Seventh Day Adventist book called ... um ... literally it's something like "Answers to Questions", or some-such. It's designed to help Adventists answer criticisms by other sects of Christianity. It runs several hundred pages.

In that book, though, is a photostat of letters sent inquiring about calendars in history. Apparently, according to (I think) the Royal Observatory, there is no historical record showing that the days of the week have shifted: in other words, Saturday is still Saturday, and has been since Christ.

Apparently, this is a really important point to them. See National Sunday Law.

16. Guru Registered Senior Member

I think not...have you ever heard of Mohenjodaro and Harrapa civilization which were not even close to eygpt had their own religion and as old as Eygpt.

By the way Sunday in my language(Hindi) also means Sun God's day. I think this is a very good thread ..very insightful.

17. staples disconnected Registered Senior Member

Hi M*W, responding to the thread starter,

To me, the creation of the calendar is entirely human. I don't think it matters about the semantics of which day means what, but rather the totally short sighted notion that days, minutes, weeks, whatever you want actually mean something. They don't mean shizzle (we aren't allowed to swear correct?).

To base a religion on a human creation IMO shows that religion is a human creation. Why would any god subject itself to the cycles of humans? To makes things easier for humans? Hell no, in my understanding god has never acted in such a way (the Christian god anyway), so why would there be any inherent value in any of the days of the week other than what we ascribe to them?

The calendar isn't even perfect, we need leap years, it is not a product of a god, it is a product soley of humans created to help humans journey of life. The mere notions of a beginning and end are human, nothing truly ends. We operate in cycles. Cycles we created. Just like the gods we have created. All throughout time. Each one no more special than the other. The arrogance to think otherwise is like the milk I drank last night- sickening.

Sunday to me is this- a time to sleep in, in fact it may as well go something like this- Sun= good to sleep in, Day= day, therefore good day to sleep in! The value it has for me is for recuperation, as I have most likely been partying the night before. Sunday means nothing else to me. That fact that a billion or so Catholics believe Sunday has some kind of significance does not impact on me at all- most people used to believed the world was flat, numbers as proof of something is no kind of proof.

Everyone go see the 'Emperors New Groove' no one is too old for Disney moives.

staples

18. Silas asimovbot Registered Senior Member

Dammit, having to type this twice! Bloody IE!
    Well, obviously Monday is not translated from Latin, it's from the Anglo Saxon for Moon itself. The Romance languages do use the Latin for Moon, though: Fr: lundi; It: lunedì
    In the Latin, however, the fourth day is dedicated only to the Messenger of the Gods, Mercury: Fr: merdi. It: mercredì
    See the Romans (and now the Romance languages) putting their greatest God on this day, where the Nordic/Anglic put theirs on the day before. Fr: jeudi, It: Giovedì
    Well, the two words are a bit different. The Romans called their seventh day, Saturn Day after the God. Despite the change of Christian sabbath, however, the Romance languages very definitely retain that connotation: It: sabato, Sp: sabado, Gk: Σάββατο
    When dealing with the name derivations, it makes slightly more sense to put them in their original order with Sunday coming first instead of last.

The days of the week, then, are:

Sun day, Moon day, Mars day, Mercury Day, Jupiter Day, Venus Day, Saturn Day - each day corresponding to one of the known heavenly bodies.

MedicineWoman, you are factually correct in nearly everything, but I think you've let yourself be misled by the fact that in the Judeao-Christian culture, the day of rest is dedicated to the principle Deity. Whereas it seems clear that in pagan times when the Sun was the most important principle Deity (not personfied like the largest Planet, but simply the source of light, heat, and therefore presumably Creation), Sun-day was the first day of the week, when you started to work.

I think it's fairly clear that the early Christians moved the Sabbath to the following day for two reasons: 1) it differentiated them from the Jews, and 2) it was, as has been said, the day Christ rose. That the day is named after the most important body in the heavens is just a coincidence. That we retain the ancient Nordic pagan gods in our day names is more a linguistic accident (as opposed to the Roman pagan gods like Southern Europe) - an accident I personally am very grateful for. In the Romance languages you can't get away from the Christian aspect - Sunday is "Lord's Day" in Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and Greek.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  19. okinrus Registered Senior Member

Early Christians never moved the sabbath, and they still referred to Saturday as the Sabath. You see this fact in the NT gospels which use Sabbath to mean Saturday. What they changed, however, was the day they gathered together and broke bread. This day was naturally sunday, the day Christ rosed and the day that Christ showed himself to apostles. But for a certain period of time the Christian community, I think, gathered on Sunday while also observing the sabbath. Later, Christians were thrown out of the Synagogs, and, after Peter's vision of the food, Gentile Christians didn't have to observe the OT law. They weren't required to obey the sabbath.

20. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

Silvertusk: No - It is because Jesus was ressurected on the the Sunday. This is why Christians worship on a sunday.
    M*W: How convenient! Jesus, the Son of God, rose from the dead on Sunday morning just like the Sun God rose from the darkness of night on Sunday morning. Like I said, Christians worship the Sun God but it Jesus.

http://paganizingfaithofyeshua.netfirms.com/birthday_of_son_of_sun_of_god.htm

21. Yorda Registered Senior Member

Yeah, people worship the "sun", but have you thought that the sun god is a symbol like heaven... Heaven looks peaceful and calm... so that's why some people call IT (the absolute bliss, nirvana etc) heaven... and they call IT sun... because sun gives life, warmth and love... people don't really worship the physical, fiery, glowing ball in the sky, you know. If that's what you're saying..

22. Victor E Registered Senior Member

Hugin and Munin was not Thor's birds, but "Odens" (Is it Wodin in english?).

23. enton www.truthcaster.com Registered Senior Member

What a mythical statement!

Sun gives love?[/COLOR]

very opinionated.............