Man, wait 'til Pentecost

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Tiassa, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

I'll Be On The Veranda, Since You're Already On The Cross
    Filipinos crucified in Easter celebration

Haven't we been through this before? It's apparently an annual event, so maybe I just missed last year's topic.

I'm not sure who's in a worse state: the participants or the tourists. The desperation of religious fervor is one thing, but something seems craven about going on holiday to take pictures of people torturing themselves for Christ.

Or are we just supposed to laugh at the silliness?

I bet the Pentecost show is mind-blowing.

Notes:

Agence France Presse. "Philippine village comes alive with its own Passion of the Christ". Yahoo! News. March 25, 2005. See http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20050325/wl_asia_afp/philippineseastercrucify

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Leo Volont Registered Senior Member

I can't suppose that you completely understand what you are talking about, unless I can be convinced you understand more than you say about Penance. These people are not torturing themselves FOR Christ, or not directly, anyway. They are doing Penance for the Sins of the World to alleviate God's Wrath. They are torturing themselves in order to atone for their own sins, the sins of their families, societies, nations and the sins of the World.

But there is the feeling out there that Christ continues to pull much of the 'slack' -- if particular people around the world do not do sufficienct Penance to cover for all of the sins committed by rapers, pillagers, protestants and republicans, then Christ makes up the difference -- continually allowing Himself to be re-crucified. I would hope that would not be true, but if it is, then, in that sense, these Philipinos ARE torturing themselves for Christ, or perhaps it would be better to say 'alongside' Christ.

But, yes, it seems only in the Philipines that Penance goes to such lengths. The Apparitions of Our Lady for the last several hundred years have been conveying the message that saying a daily Rosary and fasting several times a week would be an acceptable penance. But perhaps these gentleman of the Philipines go the entire year without fasting or doing a daily Rosary, and then wish to fit all of their Penance into a very intense Holy Week. Well, God Bless them, as I think they come out more than even.

Ofcourse, much of what may be involved is a kind of tribal 'rite of passage' thing going on. One could find out quickly enough by asking a few questions in the field, such as, do only young men torture themselves, and do they do it only once in a lifetime. If 'yes' then it is a tribal 'rite of passage' ceremony. In their Culture they do not prove their worthiness by getting a college diploma but by nailing themselves to a cross. They establish in one painful afternoon what it takes our young men years and thousands of dollars -- and all of that lost productivity -- to accomplish. Maybe we should crucify our young men at 18 and then let them go off to on-the-job training instead of continuing to finance the Gate-Keeping University Systems that are actually rather crappy Vocational Schools when you consider how useless much of the course materials are, except as a challenging hurdle by which the students can prove how much crap they are willing to take in order to be certified as a 'hireable' human being. It'd be easier, and cheaper to just let them hang on a cross some friday afternoon.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

yes..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Tiassa, you should know that emotion is at least 3x more powerful against
    human behavior than rational thought. The idea of voluntary torture acting
    as a currency to pay for 'sin' is rooted and reinforced by emotion. Maybe
    that leaves an opportunity to bind rational thought to emotion somehow?
    I can see it now... the church of evidence! Glory hallelujah!

8. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Crunchy Cat,

To blame it all on "emotion" is dreadfully misleading.
    It is an unfortified reason that is prone to give in to its most bizzare fantasies. Emotions have little or nothing to do with.

9. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Being attracted to something tangible or intangible is an emotional
    response. I have never heard of a person voluntarily embracing a fantasy
    that he / she did not find attractive.

10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

I wouldn't know where to find it these days, Crunchy Cat, but have you ever seen that absurd sociohistorical thesis alleging that the victims of the Inquisition were willing participants in a psychosexual fantasy?

Talk about a social disease ....

11. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

lordy. I guess Montey Python should modify one of their catch phrases...
    'Nobody escapes the psychosexual inquisition!'.

12. water the sea Registered Senior Member

One may find far more things attractive than one can embrace. Which one embraces is a matter of rational decision, not of whim coincidence.

13. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

I disagree, what a person embraces may be due to any combination of
    rational decision or emotional decision (don't know about coincidence).
    Ex. I was in Seattle this weekend and found a really attractive Amber
    necklace. I felt it would be very attractive on my wife and I bought it
    for her. I embraced the attractive on an emotional level.

14. water the sea Registered Senior Member

I think you need to be more exact: That you have bought the necklace, came after considering if you really like it so much and if you have enough money to afford it.
    I saw a wonderful ring which I wanted to have, but I couldn't afford it. Have I "embraced" it? No. Had I stolen it though, then we could argue that the emotional embracement was stronger than the rational.

15. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Fair enough, I'll be more exact. I told the work staff that I liked the necklace
    and wanted to buy it (it was in a glass case w/o a price tag). I didn't even
    consider the price and was surprised how much it cost when it was rung up.
    It was more than I had budgeted for in my trip; however, that didn't stop
    me as the attraction was strong.

16. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Are you saying you made an impulsive purchase?

17. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

I made an emotionally inclined purchase.