Biblical Prophecy - Armageddon

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by ghost7584, Feb 20, 2005.

1. ghost7584 Registered Senior Member

Next Prophecy to be fulfilled:

Ezekiel chapters 38,39 - A group of large armies from Russia, Iran, Iraq, Germany or France, Ethiopia, and Libya will unite to attack Israel. God will turn these armies against each other, and it will rain fire on them, and they will fall on the mountains of Israel. [Note: Since Israel is a nuclear power, having over 200 hydrogen bombs, this rain of fire from heaven could involve Israel's nuclear missiles.] The situation in the middle East is going to get worse until this prophecy comes true.
    But that is not Armageddon:
    After the Ezekiel prophecy, Israel will be respected world wide. The future World dictator, the Antichrist will come to power. [Bible scholars in the past believed it would be the last pope.]
    Ten nations from the European Union are going to give their military and political power to the Antichrist. He is going to make a seven year treaty with Israel. This will start the final seven years of the end of the world and the countdown to Armageddon.
    The Antichrist is then going to try to conquer the world militarily. Probably starting off with nuclear war, aimed mostly against the Muslim nations of the Middle East. This will go on for about a year. The devastations of Nuclear War will follow: - famine, radiation sickness, forests burned up, many dead. Then natural disasters, as punishment on men for their sins will happen. A meteorite or astoroid falling into the sea, plague, poison water, and one third of all men killed. Earthquakes, Large hail stones. Three and a half years before the end, the European forces under control of the Antichrist are going to march into Israel and take it over. Another inquisition will start. Jews and real Christians are going to be killed. Most of the Jews will escape to Petra and surroundings. The final punishments of natural disasters from God, worse than the first, will happen. Sores, plague, darkness [possibly from dust or smoke blocking the sun] men scorched with great heat, great earthquake, etc.
    The armies of the East are going to march westward to fight with the European armies, and they will meet in a place in Israel called Armageddon. [The plains of Megiddo]
    Now comes Biblical Armageddon right at the end.
    The Lord Jesus is going to return with an army of angels piloting UFOs, and a UFO invasion is going to happen. The real born again Christians are going to be levitated up into the air to meet Jesus and this UFO invasion, along with the dead bodies of saints that will rise out of the graves. These armies gathered at Armageddon are going to be destroyed.- That destruction is biblical Armageddon. UFOs are going to abduct people that practice sin, people that heard about Jesus and never accepted Him as Saviour, and these sinners are going to thrown into the fire or hell. They'll suffer forever.
    The real Christians are going to rule and reign with Christ on the Earth for a thousand years of peace, in which Satan will be bound and he can't tempt anyone.
    Sir Isaac Newton, the genius and founder of Physics, was also a Christian believer and a Bible scholar. He predicted Armageddon in the year 2060.
    I don't know if that is even close to being right, but it looks like it could be close to being right. The population of Earth is projected to be almost double what it is now, by that time, and that kind of overpopulation has got to cause serious trouble.
    I am a bible scholar, and I have been through the whole bible many times, listening to it being read on tape. That is how I see it right now.

Details of the next prophecy to be fulfilled Ezek. chapters 38, 39

These are the names given in the prophecy:

Ezekiel 38:2 Son of man, set thy face against Gog, the land of Magog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal, and prophesy against him,

Ezekiel 38:3 And say, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I [am] against thee, O Gog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal:

Ezekiel 38:4 And I will turn thee back, and put hooks into thy jaws, and I will bring thee forth, and all thine army, horses and horsemen, all of them clothed with all sorts [of armour, even] a great company [with] bucklers and shields, all of them handling swords:

Ezekiel 38:5 Persia, Ethiopia, and Libya with them; all of them with shield and helmet:

Ezekiel 38:6 Gomer, and all his bands; the house of Togarmah of the north quarters, and all his bands: [and] many people with thee.

Ezekiel 38:7 Be thou prepared, and prepare for thyself, thou, and all thy company that are assembled unto thee, and be thou a guard unto them.

Ezekiel 38:8 After many days thou shalt be visited: in the latter years thou shalt come into the land [that is] brought back from the sword, [and is] gathered out of many people, against the mountains of Israel, which have been always waste: but it is brought forth out of the nations, and they shall dwell safely all of them.

Ezekiel 38:9 Thou shalt ascend and come like a storm, thou shalt be like a cloud to cover the land, thou, and all thy bands, and many people with thee.

Gog is russian leader magog is Russia. Meshech is a root word for Moscow. It will be the Russsian leader in the position that Vladmir Putin is now in.
    The biblical persia is Iran and Iraq together. Gomer represents Germany or France.
    It says this is to happen in the latter years, which is the time close to the end. Now can be considered the latter years, because Israel is a nation again.
    Ezekiel 38:13 Sheba, and Dedan, and the merchants of Tarshish, with all the young lions thereof, shall say unto thee, Art thou come to take a spoil? hast thou gathered thy company to take a prey? to carry away silver and gold, to take away cattle and goods, to take a great spoil?
    Sheba and Dedan, which are Jordan and Saudi Arabia, are going to question this army when they come toward Israel.

Those names are names of people mentioned in the geneology in the bible. The lands where they lived are named after them, that is how bible scholars know what lands are being referred to . The old persian kingdom was on the land of Iran and Iraq together. Verse 38:7, shows that Russia is going to be like a guard to the armies of all of those smaller nations.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

Did you ever think that maybe the author did not write it with Jesus in mind?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ellion Magician & Exorcist (93) Registered Senior Member

is that really god's plan?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ghost7584 Registered Senior Member

Reply to ellion

Originally Posted by ghost7584
    .hell on earth.

I did not post the phrase "hell on earth". Don't make a fake reply to me, and pretend that I posted that.

8. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Ok, while I could get into the whole debate about the comments that the end times were due to happen a couple of thousand years ago - as said by jesus, and by the angels in revelations, I will skip it for now and just make a couple of pointers:

I fail to see how you could correlate "raining fire" to nuclear weapons. They don't rain fire, and they don't come from heaven. They are launched from a nuclear silo and rain down not as fire, but as metallic objects. When they hit the ground they detonate and this is when you see the fire - going up, not down.

If this was an accurate prophecy, it wouldn't mention horsemen, bucklers, shields, or swords.

Warfare has advanced a great deal.

If a prophecy isn't accurate, it's hardly a prophecy.

This "prophecy" was designed for those people in those times. It didn't happen. End of story.

9. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

SL, Ghost 7584

You have to take any bible prophesy in the context of when it was written. Naturally, in the time before christ, nobody had a name for a tank, f-16 fighter, missile, bomb, and so on.

So the prophesies are spoken of in terms of the items of warefare they had in their day, which includes armament. I suppose a bayonet would fall into the category of a sword, and it's pretty much standard GI equipment over here in the states. I suppose to be exactly accurate & satisfy SL's requirements for prophesy they would have to be called "small swords."

Interestingly the american indians called a locomotive an "iron horse", instead of a locomotive when they saw it for the first time. Guns were called bang sticks, and so on. If you read into the details of the prophesies there appear to be some beastlike instruments of warfare that belch fire out of their mouths. Some native tribe would probably think it had a lot of magic in it.

Regarding the magnitude of this battle (Armageddon) it appears to dwarf the casualties in all wars combined:

And the winepress was trodden without the city, and blood came out of the winepress, even unto the horse bridles, by the space of a thousand and six hundred furlongs.

Someone figured this to be several hundreds of millions of people to supply this much blood.

also there is a bible verse to that effect:

And the number of the army of the horsemen were two hundred thousand thousand: and I heard the number of them.

And let me get out my calculator to do the math: 200,000 x 1000 = 200 million soldiers WOW!

I'll have to see what the population of the earth was in Jesus' day, but I don't think it could support an army this size.

And the shapes of the locusts were like unto horses prepared unto battle; and on their heads were as it were crowns like gold, and their faces were as the faces of men.

A locust is a special type of destructive grasshopper that migrates in massive loud flying swarms and totally denudes the land before them.
    Apparently these "locusts" are manned in some fashion.

And thus I saw the horses in the vision, and them that sat on them, having breastplates of fire, and of jacinth, and brimstone: and the heads of the horses were as the heads of lions; and out of their mouths issued fire and smoke and brimstone.

Snakelord, I think I gotta disagree with you here, about weapons of war especially when I consider this verse and I consider the primitive people trying to describe it, brimstone is a sulfer, and sulfer is a key ingredient in gunpowder, which they new nothing about in their day.

Might I quote from an encyclopedia: gunpowder is an explosive mixture; its most common formula, called "black powder," is a combination of saltpeter, sulfur, and carbon in the form of charcoal.

And they had breastplates, as it were breastplates of iron; and the sound of their wings was as the sound of chariots of many horses running to battle. And they had tails like unto scorpions, and there were stings in their tails: and their power was to hurt men five months.

Well let's see here, a tank in the arabian desert without adequate maintenance might have some serious problems within 5 months so would aircraft. I don't think the Jews had anything that flew with wings back 2000 years ago, and these instruments of war can fly. Snakelord would you agree?

If I considered the "locusts" to be tanks, helecopters, and jets the cannon barrel could be the "tail" and the fire belching out of the mouth could be "munitions fire" and the awesome noise produced by these tanks/helecopters/whatever... well my apologies but I think there is something to consider here, especially coming from the mouth of a primitive person. I mean give me a break here, do you expect them to quote make and model?

Horses are specifically mentioned in the end times warefare, and somehow the asian armies of several hundreds of millions are going to march by foot from asia/china (wouldn't a horse be better?). Perhaps when gasoline is in short supply maybe so. Germans used horses in WWII to haul artillary pieces and that wasn't long ago. The euphrates river is specifically mentioned as the crossing point for these armies of hundreds of millions.

Saying to the sixth angel which had the trumpet, Loose the four angels which are bound in the great river Euphrates.

I don't think anyone had an army even close to that size back in Jesus' day. I think the world's entire population was less than that, and we're talking here about warriors in their prime, not women and children. I don't think the biblical people had any idea about the world population, or that the largest army could come from a nation the size of China.

Then this verse here made no sense until the last 40 or so years, bible believers thought the mark of the beast had to be some kind of a tattoo or something "on" the skin, not "in" the flesh:

And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads: And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

Microchip implants could at least make it possible. Whether the prophesy ment this specifically I don't know, they certainly knew nothing about computers in Ezekiel's day.

Then there was the part about the beast speaking and the whole world being able to hear. I think someone said two hundred years ago that this disproved the bible outright, because by the laws of physics, if the beast spoke that loud, it would blow out everyone's eardrums. The old fuddies in Ezekiel's time didn't understand acoustic theory, so it was said. Of course these "scientists" as smart as they thought they were, knew nothing about television, and I'm sure they would like to apologize for being so stupid, if they could but it's too late for them now.

Anyway, a good interesting subject. And by the way the elements melting with a fervent heat won't come from nuclear bombs, God doesn't need any help when it comes to making heat!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  10. ghost7584 Registered Senior Member

Jesus said no such thing. He talks about the generation that would see the endtime signs is the generation that would not pass away till all was fulfilled. He was not talking about the generation He was living in. Go read it again.
    Where He said some standing there would not die till they saw the Kingdom of God come with power, was referring to what happened about 8 days later at the mount of transfiguration, where He stood there shining in the power of His Kingdom. (See the same scriptures in Mark.) It had nothing to do with the end times.
    Don't bother trying to get into that debate with me.

3 words used for heaven. The sky, outerspace, and the place of God's throne in a spiritual dimension. Missiles come down out of the first heaven, which is the sky, after they have completed their arch trajectory.

You interpret scripture with scripture. The word sword is used figuratively in the bible as anything used as a weapon. In Revelation when Jesus returns it says figuratively that a sword will go out of His mouth. That means His words will be used as a weapon. So any weapon from a pistol to a rifle can be called figuratively a sword.
    Revelation 19:15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.

Also, don't think that they won't have horsemen with them. Going through a mountainous region around Israel, a horse can go where a humvee can't, and there will be primitive nations involved such as Ethiopia. And again, horsemen could be used figuratively as cavalry. Tank divisions are called cavalry in modern war fare, just like horse riders used to be called cavalry in the past. And of course shields could refer to any protective armor.

No. The prophecy plainly says it will happen in the latter years, which is the end time.
    Ezekiel 38:8 After many days thou shalt be visited: in the latter years thou shalt come into the land [that is] brought back from the sword, [and is] gathered out of many people, against the mountains of Israel, which have been always waste: but it is brought forth out of the nations, and they shall dwell safely all of them.

Right now, Israel is brought back as a nation and gathered out of many people as the verse says, and we are in the latter years.

11. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

SL, Ghost,

Regarding the 200 million soldiers in Revelation:

I got secular data on world population estimates from Berkley university.

Here is the graph:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The world population reached 265 million in the year 1,000 AD. The world population at the time of Christ was 170 million estimated.

So there is no way the prophesy of 200 million soldiers could possibly come together until way after 1000 AD, assume the population is roughly 50% male and 50% female.

The population of the world was 425 million in 1500 AD, so there were at least 200 million males on the earth at that time. But they have to be fighting age to be in an army, and what percentage of all males are fit for combat? I'll have to do some more reseach.

It looks like this one piece of bible prophesy could not be fulfilled until at least after the 1800s. Wow, and those "old kookie prophets" a couple of thousand years ago had this one figured out -- cool!

12. ellion Magician & Exorcist (93) Registered Senior Member

it was a summary.

sorry if it offended you.

is that gods plan?

13. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

SL, anybody,

Are their enough people living on the Asian continent to supply an army of 200 million fighting men?

What were the ratios of fighting men to poplulation over there in Europe back in WWII? I think Germany pretty well exhausted it's supply, and might be a good reference

The math is pretty simple for figuring the Armageddon statistic:

Let's call the ratio "R"

The population of Asia "P"

and the armageddon army of 200 million soldiers

Then P*R=200 million provides the first possible data point for determining when the world could conceivably fulfill a battle of this size.

Fascinating fascinating fascinating

14. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

Why 200 million men are required to destroy any nation?? Few nukes would do.

Woody,

Why do you think asia would supply men on the wrong side? Why not US&EU? Why not US&China?

15. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

Why,

Because the 200 million soldiers mentioned in Revelation, and the mega-end-time battle mentioned in Ezekiel: They are both the same prophesy.

Nobody wants to finish Israel with nuclear warfare. You gotta remember that Jerusalem is the world capital for religion, and the big 3 religions have major shrines there. It is also going to be the beast's capital city.

They don't want to destroy Jerusalem, they only want to capture it. That is a soldier's job!

About the nations involved in this: the armageddon battle comes form the nations in asia plus Russia, western eruope.

The USA is not mentioned in this prophesy. It is suggested by some bible prophesy scholars that the USA must fall from power before the great tribulation can start. The Armageddon battle is during the great tribulation. Wouldn't the world just love to see the USA fall from power?

16. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Oh really? Let's take a look...

Matthew 24:29

The sun will be darkened, the moon will not give it's light, the stars will fall from the sky, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken... all the people of the earth will beat their breasts and they will see the son of man coming on the clouds of heaven..

Matthew 24:34

"In truth I tell you, before this generation has passed away, all these things will have taken place."

He is clearly referring to the people of his time. You have nothing with which to dispute that other than wishful thinking.

We could even look at different translations:

You might wish that somehow you can support a claim that he's referring to the end times coming millennia in the future, but the text does not support it whatsoever.

jesus says that he doesn't know the day or hour, but that it is within the generation of those standing there. He didn't say he doesn't know what century or millennium.

Why, you're scared your wishful thinking will full apart under scrutiny?

Wrong. The word sky is used in the bible - clearly showing that there was a difference between sky and heaven. For example:

"There is none like unto the God of Jeshurun, who rideth upon the heaven in thy help, and in his excellency on the sky"

That would negate your claim that 1 part of heaven is the sky. How about the second one?

"Therefore sprang there even of one, and him as good as dead, so many as the stars of the sky in multitude"

Stars as you might know, reside out in space, and yet they even use the word sky here to relate to outer space. This negates your claim that outer space is one part of heaven.

Missles do not come from the first, second or third heaven.

Yeah ok, and a buckler actually means jesus words will be used defensively. Lol. But aside from that, you actually missed what it said.. Let me reiterate:

"all of them handling swords".

That relates to a physical sword, not a figure of speech.

Oh do stop it. Besides, in that region they'd be more likely to use camels. However, luckily for them they have helicopters, tanks, fighter jets, and other army vehicles than can easily work their way around something a horse cannot.

And there is the problem with "prophecy". It can mean anything you want it to mean, and that's why theres a billion and one nitwits all thinking something different. The only way a prophesy could stand up to scrutiny is if it was accurate. Even the Mahabharata manages better - mentioning metal things coming from the sky and flying machines. What has this one got? Horses, shields and javelins. Give it up.

No they're not.

Yeah, of course it can.. lol. It actually means a gasmask.

17. xcaleber Registered Member

Okay, now how would you suppose one to describe something that they do not know? This was a vision. It was interpreted using words to characterize items of that specific epoch (2000B.C. or whatever it was). They didnt have nukes so they called them horses in the sky with gold breast plates, whatever--it doesnt matter. Now if they called them nuclear weapons, you'd probably think they were more insane than you do now. Futhermore look how throughout history we have come to characterize the unknown phenomena, like indians seeing guns for the first time, or caveman drawing dinosaurs as exaggerated demons and what not--its not really the point. The point is that we familiarize the unknown by giving it known characteristics so it may be interpreted and that is the most efficient way.

18. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

Somebody please help me with the 200 million man army. I want to know when this might be possible, based on world population statistics.

It was impossible to have an army that size in Jesus' day. I have presented the secular evidence from all the experts on world population history, including the United Nation's estimates, please refer to the graph I provided. If I can't get the information here that I am looking for I'll have to go to some other forum.

I need the ratio of the german fighting men in WWII vs, the total german population in WWII. England's statistics will probably do just as well. WWI will also do as well.

19. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

If it's a vision, then they do know it, (having seen it). I've never seen a zdjkofniubee but I can certainly describe one if you showed me it in a vision. But all one would ask is that there be some familiarity.. The mahabharata for instance explains about metal things falling out the sky and flying machines. They seemed to manage pretty well considering, and as such surely would be given more credibility for prophecy telling?

My point is simply that a prophecy isn't much good to anyone if it's so freely interpretable, and far from having any accuracy. At the very least a more distinct description should be given - which is generally why nostradamus is given so much credit.

The 'prophecy' also happens to mention the attack on a place that has no defences, lives in complete peace, has no walls, bars or gates and so on. That makes the whole thing redundant right now.

I understand what you're saying, but the whole thing is as meaningless as me stating: "sometime in the next 5 years something big will happen in England". That which can mean anything, means nothing.

You can see what I'm saying by Ghosts claim that jesus is gonna come back in a UFO and abduct the bad people. Talk about turning a harmless prophecy into complete lunacy.

20. ghost7584 Registered Senior Member

Isaac Newton, the genius and founder of modern physics, was also a Christian believer and a bible scholar. Newton predicted the end of the world in 2060. I was wondering how he arrived at that conclusion. Perhaps, he used his new invention, integral calculus, which adds up parts of a curve to predict what the curve will be, and applied it to the known population growth. I don't know. But I saw on TV the estimate of the world population doubling around the year 2050, which is close to Newton's prediction. This Earth can't support the people it has now and there should be some kind of catastrophe by 2050 with double the population. (A few years ago, it was growing at about 93,000,000 more people per year.)
    Here is the information on Newton:
    Isaac Newton predicted Apocalypse in 2060

Isaac Newton, one of the greatest scientific minds in human history,
    spend 50 years calculating the date of the end of the world. Through
    some 4,500 pages of analysis, Newton concluded that Judgement Day will
    fall in the year 2060.

"Sir Isaac Newton, Britain's greatest scientist, predicted
    the date of the end of the world - and it is only 57 years
    away."

"Newton, who was also a theologian and alchemist,
    predicted that the Second Coming of Christ would follow
    plagues and war and would precede a 1,000-year reign
    by the saints on earth..."[1]

Unless Newton was wrong, we are now witnessing the End-Times and there
    will soon be a series of wars and natural disasters, according to
    original documents from Newton's research recently released by the
    Hebrew National Library.

"Armageddon is just 57 years away, by the calculations
    of Britain's most famous scientist".[2]

Newton is most famous for his great achievements in science, but his
    involvement with secret societies is also well documented. It is
    widely known that Newton was a student of prophecy and an initiate in
    the ancient mysteries.

SOURCES:

[1] Daily Telegraph (UK), "Newton set 2060 for end of world", 22
    February 2003.
    [ http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/02/22/newt22.xml
    ]

[2] Reuters, "End of the World Is Nigh, Says Long-Dead Scientist",
    24February 2003.
    [ http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?storyID=2277289 ]

FURTHER READING

"The Insider" - Conspiracy Theory News
    [ http://www.theinsider.org ]

21. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

. . .

Wow! How did those prophets know the world population would grow exponentially? They must be telling the truth!

. . .

EDIT: 98 posts to go!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  22. ghost7584 Registered Senior Member

23. ghost7584 Registered Senior Member

Matthew 24:29

The sun will be darkened, the moon will not give it's light, the stars will fall from the sky, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken... all the people of the earth will beat their breasts and they will see the son of man coming on the clouds of heaven..

Matthew 24:34

"In truth I tell you, before this generation has passed away, all these things will have taken place."

He is clearly referring to the people of his time. You have nothing with which to dispute that other than wishful thinking.

We could even look at different translations:

Matthew 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:

Matthew 24:33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, [even] at the doors.
    Matthew 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

I use the real bible, the King James version. The modern versions have 5% of the words changed, and use a corrupted Alexandrian text mixed in with it.
    From those scriptures from the real bible it is referring to the generation that sees those signs, and those signs have not happened yet.

Wrong. The word sky is used in the bible - clearly showing that there was a difference between sky and heaven. For example:

"There is none like unto the God of Jeshurun, who rideth upon the heaven in thy help, and in his excellency on the sky"

That would negate your claim that 1 part of heaven is the sky. How about the second one?

Psalms 79:2 The dead bodies of thy servants have they given to be meat unto the fowls of the heaven, the flesh of thy saints unto the beasts of the earth.
    Fowls of the heaven is birds of the sky, that eat carryon, vultures, in that verse. One definition of heaven is sky.
    Paul talks about being caught up to the third heaven to see visions. 3 things referred to as heaven.

"Therefore sprang there even of one, and him as good as dead, so many as the stars of the sky in multitude"

Stars as you might know, reside out in space, and yet they even use the word sky here to relate to outer space. This negates your claim that outer space is one part of heaven.

Genesis 22:17 That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;

1 Chronicles 27:23 But David took not the number of them from twenty years old and under: because the LORD had said he would increase Israel like to the stars of the heavens.

Here you have heavens plural; stars in outerspace seen through the sky.

Yeah ok, and a buckler actually means jesus words will be used defensively. Lol. But aside from that, you actually missed what it said.. Let me reiterate:

"all of them handling swords".

That relates to a physical sword, not a figure of speech.

I disagree. Also, the bible uses a figure of speech called a synecdoche, which is substituting a whole for a part or a part for a whole, in many places.
    All of them can literally mean many of them, all being a figure of speech.
    Officers in many armies still carry sword. Remember, these are middle Eastern armies.

Oh do stop it. Besides, in that region they'd be more likely to use camels. However, luckily for them they have helicopters, tanks, fighter jets, and other army vehicles than can easily work their way around something a horse cannot.

And there is the problem with "prophecy". It can mean anything you want it to mean, and that's why theres a billion and one nitwits all thinking something different. The only way a prophesy could stand up to scrutiny is if it was accurate. Even the Mahabharata manages better - mentioning metal things coming from the sky and flying machines. What has this one got? Horses, shields and javelins. Give it up.

The mahabharata is about a past civilization; probably the advanced civilization before Noah's flood, commonly known as Atlantis.

There are proper ways of Bible interpretation, you can't just make it mean whatever you want.
    First get the real Bible, the King James version.
    Second, become a really saved Christian. There are scriptures indicating that only a really saved Christian can understand the Bible correctly.
    Third, most scriptures plainly mean what they say, no interpretation necessary. If interpretation in needed, you can ask God in prayer to show you what it really means.
    Also there are these guidlines to interpret scripture correctly:
    You interpret scripture with scripture. You can get the proper interpretation by comparing it to other scriptures about the same thing.
    Some words have more than one meaning, so you fit the definition of that word with the context of the arguement it is in.
    You interpret scriptures in the context of the whole arguement they are found in comparing it to verses before and behind it.
    Also there are figures of speech used, which were not meant to be taken literally, but have a figurative meaning.
    Any interpretation that you come up with must not contradict any other scripture in the whole bible. If there is a contradiction, then your interpretation is false, so find another interpretation.

You can't just interpret it any old way you want. If you know the Bible very well, you can see where it fits together.
    It is a big book.