if christ returned,how would Atheists take it?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by lostmind, Nov 30, 2004.

1. lostmind Registered Senior Member

Atheists answer only. thanks

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

I'd be like, "What the fuck?!".

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

He has to have been here before before he can return and no one can show there was a first yet.

But to pretend he did visit us once - I'd give him a warm welcome and hope that he is able to think rationally and be able to understand and agree with my logic for having reasonably rejected irrational Christian propositions. If he is fair and just then there is no way he can reject me.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

. . . And I'd do what Cris would do.

8. Muhlenberg Registered Senior Member

Think rationally? Aside from the fact that man, in total, is hardly rational nor should be (those claiming rationality is the end all and be all of existence are the most irrational) to demand God be subject to human conceits of what is rational to be accepted by man is demonic.

It is exactly what Paul Tillich's critique of fundamentalism (Systemic Theology) expressed--man dictating to God what God is;Man elevating the word of man into the Word of God.

It is a gnostic pseudo-religion--a pneumopathlogy.

9. lostmind Registered Senior Member

thats all fine and dandy but what if... try to use your imagination...what would you say?

10. Mystech Adult Supervision Required Registered Senior Member

I’d tattle on all of the so-called Christians who forgot that Christ was a liberal-Jew and have been doing some pretty fucking awful things in his name for the past 2000 years

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

Well, Buddhists believe that Christ has already returned. He did return before his disciples has died out. However, his name was no longer Jesus. We don't know what character he reincarnate as. He probably returned several times already.

12. Muhlenberg Registered Senior Member

Mystech...you are, I suspect, speaking of classical Unitarians such as Channing, Webster, Jefferson, John, Abigail and John Quincy Adams who viewed Jesus Christ as a reforming Rabbi--a liberal Jew. That,Christian, form of Unitarianism is virtually extinct. But perhaps Jews and some others in Unitarian/Universalist societies today still see Christ as a liberal Jew. Rather doubt there are many as Jesus Christ as a even a moral teacher has been pretty much expunged from the UU in favor of paganism and secular gnosticism. Jews at the time, excepting converts, sure didn't see Christ as a liberal Jews. Their reaction then and now indicates the view He was beyond being a heretic. He was reprobate.

lostmind . . .What would I say? Whatever seemed appropriate. I don't hold the absolutist postions on God as atheists and, say, Christian dispensationalists do so my reaction would be more muted if things turned out to be not as I suspected.

13. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Well it's hard to say really..

The first thing I would do is probably beat the shit out of my family. After all, that was what jesus wanted us to do. As he would be here, ruling the planet, I wouldn't have much choice but to do it.

("Do not think that I have come to bring peace on earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother..." Matthew 10:34)

I'd also wonder what the world powers would think, having a scrawny hippy kick them out of office. What kind of leader would he be? Would there still be democracy, or would it be more akin to Saddam style rule?

I wonder if he would remove christmas, because it has nothing to do with him, but some older pagan festivals dedicated to other gods. The same would go for halloween, easter, and pentecost.

I wonder if he'd do some drastic 'earth changing'. For example, I wonder if he would cause Ethiopia and other such places to instantly grow crop and to be more than a country of death and disease. I suppose not. He's had several thousand years to do that already.

Would he remove hospitals, preferring to personally treat the sick and dying? Perhaps he would eradicate cancer, meningitis and other such life threatening illness and disease. Probably not.

Well, it'll never happen anyway.

14. vslayer Registered Senior Member

if christ returned then i would probably question him intensely on religion, and his reasons for it, all the questions about god i ask chrisitans(and they have know answer) i wol/ud ask him, if he couldnt aswer it then the god he is a minion of is not all powerful

15. fahrenheit 451 fiction Registered Senior Member

firstly he would have to prove, he could do miracles, false prophets etc.

then I would question his intent, for what reason would he want to enslave humans,
    why would he want to put the fear of a god into them, why if he is loving would he make people fear is wrath with eternal damnation. why he would use nastiness to get people to love him. when it's much easier with kindness.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

If Jesus himself came back, how would we know it was the same guy? Lots of people claim to be Jesus every day. If he could prove it, then I would be vastly more inclined to believe in God, if that's still his story. I would want to pin him down and make him write a book this time around, we could make him the pope, or the host of a talk show.

17. lostmind Registered Senior Member

AMAZING! I'm almost speechless. Not one of u would apologize for not having faith and believing.
    then, he would have to prove his self again, then maybe crucified again for not satisfying non believers demands.
    Tell me this, what are the benefits of being a Atheist? list them

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Apologize? Hell no. There are many religious stories around the world, why should we take their word for it? What if Tezcatlipoca came back and was angry we haven't been sacrificing virgins to him? I'm not sure Jesus would want an apology.

The benefit of atheism is having the freedom to doubt our inherited religious mythology. That leaves us able to consider the essential truths in those stories that transcend literal interpretation.

19. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

If Jesus returns, he would be locked up in mental hospital somewhere.

20. Dilbert Registered Senior Member

If Jesus came down to earth, and if i was an atheist?

hmm, that’s a hard one. But doesn’t the bible say that you should turn the other cheek or something like that. So I guess I would just look away.

Sorry, cant help it. I am a Joker.

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

What if Christ returned, and he was an atheist? Or, what if he returned and revealed that Christianity, as most practice it, was created by Satan to lead us away from Christ's true message, and atheism comes closer to the truth about God than anything? ...that no one can believe in God, because no one knows the nature of God, so no one knows what they are believing in.

Other benefits of Atheism:
    Your Sundays are free.
    You can believe in evolution.
    You'll save money at Christmas time.
    No worries about an afterlife.
    You can still be a Buddhist.

22. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: WWM*WD? I would politely offer my hand for him to shake, and then tell him that it's very nice to meet him. I would then ask "how's the family? MM and the kids? and his mother?" I would wait for his response to those questions, and then I'd ask how he's been feeling. After the niceties, I would ask him if he had any comments about Paul. He probably couldn't answer that question, because he never knew Paul. I would then ask him about his apostles and if he was pleased with their missionary work. Then I would bring up the Roman Catholic Church to get his opinion on it. I would be honest and open that I didn't believe he was the savior, and I'd give him my reasons why. He would understand my position and deal with it professionally, that I'm sure. I'd ask him if he was hungry, and I would offer to fry some fish for him to eat. More importantly, while he was having dinner at my house, I would ask him to turn all my water into wine while he was here (preferably white zinfindel). Then I'd ask him if he had a place to stay or if he was just passing through. I offered him one of my bedrooms so he could rest-up from his journey. There would certainly be a lot of spiritual questions I would want to ask him, but I would be polite whatever his answer. I would introduce him to my family, of course. Then after he rests, he would probably be on his way. I never did ask to see a drivers license or proof of identification. Unfortunately, he wouldn't be able to get a drivers license in Texas without proof of citizenship. Nor would he be able do his regular job in the USA, because he doesn't have a Social Security card, and he would be considered an illegal alien. I would introduce him to sciforums and encourage him to become a member. He could catch up on everything that has been going on for the past 2000 years. He probably would need everyone on sciforums to speak Aramaic. He would ask me if I saw The Passion of The Christ, and I would tell him 'no.' He would then tell me that Mel Gibson never got permission from him to make that movie, and the movie disappointed him terribly. I would ask him if he planned to visit any christian churches while he was here, and he said 'no', that those churches don't teach what he taught when he was here.The last thing he probably would say before he left was, there is no such thing as christianity, because that was the work of Paul. Everyone who believes in him, he said, would be an Orthodox Jew.

23. mustafhakofi I sa'id so Registered Senior Member

sense, reason, and intellect, free thought, not being a sheep, not being delusional, and above all having the deepest respect for life, knowing people and life are precious, and that killing is an abomination as you deprive someone of there one and only chance of it.
    once you religious lot realise, there's no after life, you might get the same respect for life.
    and that's a good name, you got, it suits.