Spaceballs 2: The Search for More Money

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Thor, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Well...Mel Brooks is wiriting the sequel to Spaceballs!

Spaceballs 2

Sounds promising. Definatly going to see it. With these new Star Wars movies out, there's enough ammo for him to use. He can even borrow from the stinker, AvP as well. Bonus!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Yay, a second spaceballs, groovy.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

moeny money money nanaaaaaa
    must be funny nanaaaaaa
    in a rich mans WORLD!!!

*dances erratically*

moeny kicks ass, dont you agree?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. jadedflower observer Valued Senior Member

I thought he was dead.

8. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

?????? yer wot?

9. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

10. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

I hath doth creamed my pants

11. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

May the Schwartz be with you all.

12. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

I suddenly have hankering for pizza

Must dial for Pizza the hut.

13. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

You're kidding...

Is there the slightest chance that, if not dead, he will die before completing the writing...?

I thoroughly enjoy Mel's work, but Spaceballs sucked as badly as that "giant space maid" gag somewhere in the midst of all that utter and abysmal drivel...

14. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Someone please ban Killjoy for having no taste! The world doesn't need Spaceball haters! Grrr

I kid.

With all of the bad sci-fi movies out at the moment, there's more than enough material to use.

15. vslayer Registered Senior Member

what is a spaceballs? i bet its a movie fdrom before i was born

16. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

It was released in 1989 I believe. I as only 4 when it came out but the humour still lasts today

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Spaceballs
    1987 (2000) - MGM/UA

review by Greg Suarez of The Digital Bits

Spaceballs Film Rating: B

Disc Ratings (Video/Audio/Extras): C/A-/C+

Specs and Features

96 mins, PG, letterboxed widescreen (1.85:1), full frame (1.33:1), dual-sided, single-layered, Amaray keep case packaging, commentary by director/co-writer/producer/star Mel Brooks, behind-the-scenes featurette, theatrical trailer, film-themed menu screens with animation and sound, scene access (32 chapters), languages: English (DD 5.1), French (DD 2.0) and Spanish (DD Mono), subtitles: English, French and Spanish, Closed Captioned

"Use the Schwartz!"

Planet Spaceball, an evil empire controlled by President Skroob (Mel Brooks) and his wicked minion Dark Helmet (Rick Moranis), is in grave danger of running out of breathable air. Across the galaxy, the peaceful Planet Druidia is celebrating the marriage of Princess Vespa (Daphne Zuniga). Druidia has an abundance of breathable air, and Skroob will stop at nothing to obtain it. After the Princess runs away from her wedding (she’s not in love with the groom, Prince Valium), the Spaceballs plan to capture the Princess and use her as ransom to get Druidia’s air. So her father, King Roland (Dick Van Patten), recruits the help of space cowboy Lone Starr (Bill Pullman) and his half-man/half-dog sidekick Barf (John Candy) to rescue his daughter and stop the evil Spaceballs from destroying his planet.

Sight gags provide the majority of laughs in Spaceballs, and most of them are very funny. The most clever and the funniest parts of this film, are when Dark Helmet and his right-hand-man Colonel Sandurz (George Wyner) become aware of the audience. Dark Helmet provides an aside, has a camera run into him, and even inadvertently kills a soundman on the set of the movie. Rick Moranis’ portrayal of Dark Helmet is the strongest satirical role of the film, because the character is the complete opposite of Darth Vader (the character Moranis is satirizing). Helmet tries so hard to be intimidating and evil, even though he seems about two feet shorter than Vader, and has a whiny, high-pitched voice. There are also plenty of riffs of other Sci-fi films, including a great spoof of a scene from Alien.

This DVD presentation of Spaceballs just cries out for an anamorphic presentation, however MGM instead saw fit to recycle an old master used for the laserdisc edition of this film. Colors are accurate, and the picture is smooth, but the 1.85:1 image has plenty of problems. First of all, the print MGM used to master this transfer has a noticeable amount of dirt. Second, due to the lack of an anamorphic presentation, fine detail is wanting. The picture seems on the soft side, and there are occasions of jagged edges and other NTSC anomalies. Not allowing the disc to be a complete disappointment, MGM does provide a great Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack. There's a good amount of directional sound effects here that would seem at home in a more serious Sci-fi flick. The track does provide a nice level of ambience and fidelity seems to be pretty accurate, but there is a lack of low frequency that's conspicuous during some of the action sequences.

The extra features on this disc seem promising at first, but actually turn out to be a bit disappointing. The behind-the-scenes featurette is nothing more than a 9-minute promo film, that provides only a few brief and empty interviews, and not much information about the actual making of the movie. The commentary track by Mel Brooks is very frustrating, because he seems to have trouble concentrating on any one thought that enters his head, and there are several long pauses in the track where he just watches the film. However, the menus on this disc are some of the funniest I've seen yet. They are set up like a control console in a spaceship, and almost every inch of the screen is occupied by some inside joke or sight gag.

This is almost a great DVD, but MGM missed the mark with Spaceballs. Still, the film is funny enough (and the disc has just enough to it) to make it worth a look. So give it a spin, and may the Schwartz be with you!

18. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Ah I wasn't far off. I was only two when it came out then!

19. Disco-neck Ted Registered Senior Member

Hardware Wars was about 80 times better than spaceballs.

And if you want to mock George Lucas and his latest efforts... just roll tape on Episodes I and II.

20. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Please give us a link to this "Hardware Wars" movie so that we can know it!

21. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Hardware wars

It is a classic Star Wars parody highly acclaimed by critics...I also want t osee it.

22. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

Wow, reading this thread makes me realize how old I'm getting... yet somehow I still feel like I'm 14 or something. A note to the youngsters. ACTIVELY seek out all the stuff your parents thought was cool, for some reason (and this is true through all of human time), things were always cooler about 10-20 years before whenever you are right then

23. Disco-neck Ted Registered Senior Member

Great link! I never knew that Fosselius guy was hired to work on Return of the Jedi. How cool is that?

Hardware Wars used to show at cons all the time along with Bambi Meets Godzilla and Trek bloopers.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2004