Pride and self-centered attitudes

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Truenemo1889, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Truenemo1889 Registered Senior Member

Are you proud to be black,white, yellow, purple...french, Muslim, African, Are you proud to be a human? Are you proud at all to be anything.

I personally get irritated about stuff like that. And also with "God bless America (or whatever other country)". Why cant we just say "God bless the World" instead. Always being so selfcentered is terrible.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

I have pride in things I have created/accomplished. Other than that, I find pride to be worthless and shallow.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. moementum7 ~^~You First~^~ Registered Senior Member

ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY!!!
    And grateful.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. moementum7 ~^~You First~^~ Registered Senior Member

I am proud to be me.
    And always aiming to progress in both of these areas.
    Pride and gratefullness.
    Gotta have both.
    And remind yourself continually of what values are most important to and clarify them.
    Family, Health, Finances, Physically, Spiritually/Mentally., and materially.
    I find it almost discouraging that some people have linked pain to the idea of self importance.
    If you continually improve yourself in what ever area you deem as having value, by strengthening yourself you are better able to help those you care about.
    The higher your self esteem, the better you arer at leading and helping others get through periodic times of stress and chalenges, or financial, or what ever.

You have to take full responsibilty for your thoughts and actions.
    And to do this, you have to beleive that you are worth it.
    Top beleive that your highest values are worth the price of effort.
    Pride is a neccestiy of life, Self esteem is as neccessary for our mental health as air is to our survival.
    Pride, not arrogance.
    Pride balanced with gratefullness seems great to me.

8. moementum7 ~^~You First~^~ Registered Senior Member

When you are referring to one as being self centered I picture you meaning that this type of person is oblivious to others around them. In a negative way.
    These type of people may be self centered, but it is not pride, it is arrogance.
    And virtues based on this attitude will definitely come back to haunt them when they find out they are all alone on their death bed.
    Distinguising between short term pleasure and happiness, pride and arrogance, to name just a few, at first glance may seem to be interchangable, but both have drastic differences in where you will end up.
    blah blah

9. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Like moementum, I am prud to be myself. Not much else to be proud about these days if you ask me. And I also agree that you should not ignore others, narcisissm isnĀ“t that great.
    I also agree on the point of values, while those may differ from each individual to the other, they are nonetheless important.

10. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

This is all nonsensical pride in being related to a certain race, or nationality though I can certainly understand where it comes from but in the end it is nonsensical to me.

...because America or *insert country* thinks it is the best i nthe world.

11. Gravity Deus Ex Machina Registered Senior Member

I think a pretty good sign of very scary times lurking close are when you start seeing more and more nationalistic & religious symbols and flags showing in a populace - American Flags, Yellow Ribbons, Crucifix's, Fish Symbols . . . .