BootVis oddity

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by glaucon, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Greetings all,

I've installed BootVis properly and it totally refuses to run. This is the error message I get: 'BootVis.exe - Entry Point Not Found The procedure entry point WmiOpenTraceWithCursor could not be located in the dynamic link library ADVAPI32.dll.

This has been bugging me for far too long now.
    Any help anyone can give me would be incredibly appreciated.
    TIA

WinXP Pro, P3 733, 640Mb RAM, Maxtor 20G HD

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

The problem could probably be solved with a newer version of Bootvis.exe - if it were available.
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysperf/fastboot/BootVis.mspx

I wouldn't worry about it. I can't say I ever really noticed an improvement back when I used to run it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

All that error suggests to me is that ADVAPI32.dll is an older version than what the program requires. It's suggesting that perhaps a piece of code in a newer version is missing from it.

Now you could attempt to get a newer version by downloading the .dll online, however I would make sure you make a backup of the current one incase it's bugged or fails.

I owuld suggest however before replacing the current one that you attempt to update your OS since updating it with Service/Security patchs as doing so might actually fix the problem.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.