Do Jews still sacrifice?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Deadwood, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Deadwood Registered Senior Member

Since I am beginning to see some Jewish people posting on the board I would like to know if Jewish people still sacrifice animals, give grain and drink offerings to the Lord and believe in cleaniness and uncleanliness. Are all Levites still Priests? Does Israel have a high Priest? I believe He is Jesus Christ, but I would like to know what Jews today think and do.

Thanks

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Radical Registered Senior Member

harry potter was an odd boy

do u xtians still burn harry potter books?
    oh i used a time machine 2day i went 500 years to the future and guess what i met your clone and he said he finaly got the holo-graphic apoligize corporate default e-mail from the VATIKAN(wow dude the technology rox i could even smell the burger king scents in the vatikan branch) asking for your forgivnece that they said you are acting against god and u will be in hell cause u dared to experiment with human's DNA.
    we also celebrated the galileo-galiley day since it was also 1000 years since he had a taxi sent for him to fetch him right from helll into the upper place (but he still can not collect 200$ on passing START what a shame)

oh btw your hamish relative say don't worry they are now allowed to use roller bearings in thier carrige's axis

Last edited: Aug 31, 2001
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Caleb Redeemed Registered Senior Member

I admit I'm not a Jew, but from what I understand, most Jews are atheists, i.e. non-religous. However, if you are talking about Orthodox Jews (the ones that hold to strict Judeaism, as opposed to Messianic Judaism or some type secularized Judaism), they cannot sacrifice today because there is no temple. The city of Jerusalem is in a state of uproar, and the temple mount is currently covered with a Muslim Temple (Dome of the Rock). So the Jews really don't have anywhere <i>to</i> sacrifice. However, things are getting interesting, because there is a group of orthodox Jews who are looking forward to rebuilding the temple (which they believe must occur before the Messiah comes). They have built most (if not all) of the implements (tables, candlesticks, laver, etc...) to the specifications found in the Torah (what we call the "Pentatuech"). Also, I have read of at least two groups who either have, or almost have (and are actively trying to breed) the needed <i>red heifer</i> which the Bible requires for sanctification. Yet another recent development is genetic testing. Geneticists have actually identified the "Levitical" gene if you will -- in other words, those who claim to be descended from Levi today all have a certain gene in common. Scientists have traced the origins of this gene back to about the time of Levi or Aaron. So now we can identify potential preists. It is possible that soon, DNA testing will be able to identify all 12 tribes. Of course, the temple can't be built while the Dome of the Rock is in place. Or can it? Some scholars believe that the temple's location was slightly to one side. One can envision a possible future scenario where the U.N. steps in to sign a peace treaty between the Israelites and Arabs, giving a portion of the Temple Mount to each. This is interesting, because it fits right in with what the Bible predicted thouands of years ago!!!

Revelation 11:1-2 - "And there was given me a reed like unto a rod: and the angel stood, saying, Rise, and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship therein.

<i>But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is <b>given unto the Gentiles</b>: and the holy city shall they tread under foot</i> forty and two months."

~Caleb

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

I'm not sure. I have to agree with radical on many things like your questionable restrictions on anything new. Most jews nowadays arent athiest actually. They may seem that way, but in one way or another they still keep their religion. Like learning hebrew and going to synogogue on the high holidays. As far as sacrificing goes I have no clue but I support the belief that it has to do with something like the temple or something. They PROBABLY still do it in Ethiopia where the Ark is rumored to be. I guess that way the sacrifice can go to god. And also. It has nothing to do with feeding g-d or increasing his livestock as it does in many religions. Its a sybolic thing. Nothing to do with primitive caveman beliefs.

I dont know much about it myself. Do a search on the internet or something. They have lots of info on stuff like that.

PS I think there is a prophecy saying that we might try to rebuild the temple, in the bible or something. I dont know.

8. Deadwood Registered Senior Member

Radical

I'm not Roman Catholic and find it blasphemous to believe that the Pope is infallible. By your post, you obviously don't know what it is I believe.

But I do believe that life is sacred.

If you don't want to answer or don't know the answer just say so. No harm done. At least Elbaz is making an effort to learn and answer and not just say silly things.

Elbaz, I realize that you don't know much about Judaism but have you read the Torah? In Leviticus(the third book) it states about all of the sacrifices.

I am aware that God is not feeding off of livestock as in Pagan religions like in the Book of Daniel with the Pagan god bell or something like that.

Caleb, the destruction in the temple was prophesied by Jesus wasn't it. I forget which year it was destroyed.

But do you know if Orthodox Jews stay cerimonally clean.

Also, why are secular Jews called Messianic?

9. KalvinB Publicity Whore Registered Senior Member

The Jews are right about the temple. In AD 70 it was destroyed. It will be rebuilt.

"Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him, That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand. Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God."

The comming of Christ won't happen until the temple is built. If this is literal like I think it is, things should get very interesting at that time.

It'll either be built by the Jews or the LDS who have a whole outline for what's going to happen when THE Temple is built.

Regardless of who builds it, it's one of the last signs for the end of days.

Ben

10. tony1 Jesus is Lord Registered Senior Member

*Originally posted by Deadwood
    I believe He is Jesus Christ, but I would like to know what Jews today think and do.

You may be thinking of people who perform ritual circumcision.

The Bible is talking about someone else.

For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:
    But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

(Romans 2:28,29, KJV).

For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.
    (Philippians 3:3, KJV).

*Originally posted by Radical
    do u xtians still burn harry potter books?

You mean those books that are allegedly plagiarized from the Larry Potter books?

*Originally posted by Elbaz
    Nothing to do with primitive caveman beliefs.

Science has apparently made great strides.
    I didn't know that the beliefs of cavemen were known.

*Originally posted by Deadwood
    why are secular Jews called Messianic?

Secular Jews aren't called Messianic, Christian Jews are.
    To put it more accurately, people who are called Jews who believe that Jesus is the Messiah, are called Messianic Jews.

*Originally posted by KalvinB
    The comming of Christ won't happen until the temple is built. If this is literal like I think it is, things should get very interesting at that time.

While there are bound to be problems concerning a literal temple, the temple of God is not a building in Jerusalem...

Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
    (1 Corinthians 3:16, KJV).

11. KalvinB Publicity Whore Registered Senior Member

You have no idea how hard it is to convince a Mormon of that concept. Maybe you do, I dunno.

I'm aware of the nature of the true temple. This is why Thesselonians says Satan will dwell in the physical temple being worshiped as God. People who actually understand the Bible know that the true God would never dwell there and therefore wouldn't set foot in the Temple.

I would expect that people who don't understand the Bible would build the temple (as Mormons intend to do as well in Jackson County) and mistakingly worship Satan as God. Actually they'll believe he's Adam, the Ancient of Days. But that's another topic.

Ben

12. Radical Registered Senior Member

u did not really expect me to answer seriously to some1 asking hey i belive the earth is flat where do u live on this earth?

13. Radical Registered Senior Member

nope i'm talking about the harry potter books those fantasy present time books about wizardy and such they sell in hugh numbers all over the western world .
    which some xtians in USA decided that they are against xtianity so they went and burnt them.

14. Deadwood Registered Senior Member

It was round last I checked. So you don't know what I believe then thank-you for proving my point.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Its because the books deal with magic and sorcery. I don't think you're supposed to practice magic in Judaism also. I forget which King consulted a midium to speak to Samual. But that was very wrong. You shouldn't read horoscopes, weegee boards or do anything like that. They just didn't allow the books in the library because it was a Christian school in England. Didn't hear about the US.

Also, could you please tell me what the Hebrew word "Sheol" means?

You seem to be evading the topic for some reason. Again, if you don't wish to answer or don't know just say so. You don't have to say I believe things which I don't and use that for an answer. I believe the Earth is round. I don't follow the Vatican or the Pope. I don't believe people go to hell because they are astronomers and it is for God to decide, only Him and not you, I, the Vatican or whoever else wants to judge.

Only God is judge, and for that I am pleased since He is a just and merciful God.

Now you may reply to my question. If you think I'm stupid then don't reply, saying I'm stupid doesn't count. Simple as that.

15. Radical Registered Senior Member

u did not understand where i was going .
    ofcourse i did not mean that u belive that the earth is flat .
    but the sentence is the same as saying i belive your high priest his jesus so what u do think?

and i was not saying that you are stupid

it was king SHAUL when he had mood swings due to the "bad" spirit in him he went to a medium that raised SHMUEL for him and shmuel was upset that he was summoned from the other side

BAD KARMA DUDE!!!!

sheol=bottom in hebrew

16. tony1 Jesus is Lord Registered Senior Member

*Originally posted by KalvinB
    I'm aware of the nature of the true temple. This is why Thesselonians says Satan will dwell in the physical temple being worshiped as God. People who actually understand the Bible know that the true God would never dwell there and therefore wouldn't set foot in the Temple.

You're on to something there.

*Actually they'll believe he's Adam, the Ancient of Days. But that's another topic.*

Of course, Adam isn't the Ancient of Days which may be one reason they'd believe that.