Mars' Reverse Rotation .. is it true?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by XeIDy, Jun 19, 2004.

1. XeIDy Registered Member

Hi all.
    I just want to know, that is it true that recently it has been observed that Mars has started to rotate in a reverse direction and in the same way.. some day earth will start rotating in reverse direction, and in that case the sun will rise from west and set in east?

It may be totally a fake news, and i believe that its fake because I heard it no where but in a local non-english news paper.. :S and that news paper ain't very authentic. So if there's anything like that near to reality so please post your comments.

Thank you.

.. TúX.iNDiGo

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. blackholesun Registered Senior Member

Its fake news. It spins the same direction as earth does.

Rotational Data
    This is the information about how Mars spins about its axis. Mars's equator is tilted with respect to the ecliptic about the same amount as Earth's and the duration of its day is about as long as Earth's.

Inclination of equator to orbital plane 25.1°
    Sidereal rotation period 24 hours
    37 minutes
    22.66 seconds
    Solar rotation period
    (noontime to noontime, or one Martian day) 24 hours
    39 min

Last edited: Jun 19, 2004
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. XeIDy Registered Member

hmm. Thanks for confirming..

-- TúX.iNDiGo

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Only Venus rotates in retro. Of that it take 243 earth days for one venus day!

8. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

No, the gravitational forces can not be altered, unless its April 1st. Only Venus spins in reverse. What you might be thinking of is the apparent retrograde motion of orbits as planets pass each other, giving the appearance of a planet "going backwards" ???

9. Pangloss More 'pop' than a Google IPO! Registered Senior Member

This could also be confusion with the magentic pole business, which was the subject of some attention recently when the movie "The Core" came out. I beleive Nova ran an excellent story mentioning that Mars undergoes pole reversal, and the Earth shows similar signs (vague recollection off the top of my head, don't quote me on this).

Just thought I'd mention it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Mohammed Hamza Registered Member

Most scientist state that all the planets will go through the same once at least and our planet Earth is one of them. Planet Earth will move in the opposite direction some day and the sun will rise from the west!!

This might occur soon and we are unaware! The rise of the sun from the west is mentioned in the hadith and this is the major sign of the day of judgement, most if not all, the minor signs have occurred. Wake up. Our beloved messenger Mohamed (Peace Be Upon Him) said: "One of the signs of the hour the sun will rise from the west, where no longer tauba (forgiveness) will be granted"

!!And the strange thing most of our Shariah scholars mentioned that the rise of the sun from the west occurs only once on that day the sun will rise from the west then again from the east and continues until Allah wishes and this is similar to what is happening to Mars it stops, then it changes its course of direction for a short period of time then returns to way once it was.

And Abdullah Bin Amro (R.A.) said: (I memorised from the messenger (SAW) a hadith I will never forget I heard the messenger of Allah (SAW) say: The first aya to come the rise of the sun from the west) [Ahmad]. And the messenger SAW "Allah places HIS hand at night to forgive his morning sinners, and places in the morning to forgive his night sinners until the sun rises from the west" [Muslim].

This piece of news is very important as it brings with it a great sign of warning and remembrance of the coming of a new WORLD - the world of he Hereafter When we show this hadith that was told 1400 years ago about this miracle..you will see InshaALLAH, a lot will revert to right path...And the Muslims if they see this phenomena happening in Mars who knows maybe it would bring them closer to our CREATOR. May Allah keep all of us in the right path and provide us with success in this world as well as in the hereafter.

11. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

The reason we would be unaware of this is because if the earth were to suddenly stop and reverse direction, we would not stop and instead would continue moving at approximately 1500 kph and everyone would be instantly killed. So unfortuantely no one will get to see this amazing western sunrise.

If allah makes it so we don't die (that we somehow move with the change in direction) that will be way more of a miracle than the earth changing the direction of rotation.

I'll bet you $5 the earth never suddenly changes the direction of it's rotation (you cannot win). Anyone who says it will is telling you a fairytale.

12. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Totally fake and totally bullshit!

http://mars.nasa.gov/allaboutmars/nightsky/retrograde/

13. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

Mars did not start to rotate in another direction. period.

14. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

So does Uranus. It has an axial tilt of 97 degrees which tips it over to the point where it has a retrograde rotation (Pluto also has a retrograde rotation, so when it was still classified as a planet, 1/3 of the planets had retrograde rotations.

That depends on which "day" you are referring to. Venus takes 243 Earth days to rotate with respect to the stars, thus that is the length of its sidereal day. However the more common use of a day refers to the solar day or the time it takes for the Sun to go from noon to noon. this is a result of both Venus' sidereal period and orbital period and works out to ~116.75 Earth days. So on the surface of Venus you would see a sunrise every 116.75 Earth days.

Interesting enough, this works out to be exactly 1/5 the synodic period of Venus as seen from the Earth. which means that every time Venus is at inferior conjunction it presents the same side to Earth.

15. Mohammed Hamza Registered Member

This might not true that the Eart will stop and reverse its course of direction....
    But the 2nd part mentioned that the sun will rise from the west is 100% true... and it will happen some day on Earth as it is one of the major signs of 'End of time'.
    I am not sure whether planet Mars has undergone such a phenomena....
    Its just the illusion with respect to earth...Now your common senses would tell you that planets just don't decide they want to go round the Sun the other way and you would of course be right. What you're seeing is a sort of celestial illusion of sorts. What's really happening is that Earth is catching up to Mars (as it must for an opposition) and then passing the red planet. An analogy to understand this is when you are driving down the freeway and pass a slower car. From the faster car's perspective the other car appears to be moving the opposite direction, but of course that's not what really happens.

Earth is moving faster than Mars and so we overtake Mars and pass it. Mars appears to be moving the opposite direction, a motion called retrograde motion. When Mars displays retrograde motion, it appears to etch out a looped path. The loop is because Earth and Mars' orbits are not in exactly the same plane.

This retrograde loop of Mars is a terrific display of celestial geometry. The loops vary from opposition to opposition.

16. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Poe's Law invoked, its validity exemplified.

Prediction: sometime in the next five years we will see on this forum an adherent of one of the fundie Abrahamic monotheisms find support in their holy book for a predicted or past inversion of the Earth's rotational axis - an actual flipping of the rotational poles.

17. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

How can the sun rise in the west if the earth doesn't change the direction it rotates?

18. TBodillia Registered Senior Member

You revived a 10 year old thread for this?

Please, provide a link to any real scientist that supports that statement.

You need to read up on apparent retrograde motion.

19. wellwisher Banned Banned

The magnetic field has a history of reversal. However, the rotation of the earth remains the same. During a magnetic reversal, the magnetic poles meander, over the earth, before final reversal. It is not off and then back on into a reversal, but rather wandering poles that finally find their new home.

From Encyclopedia Brittanica:

Polar wandering, the migration over the surface of the Earth of the magnetic poles of the Earth through geological time. It was long recognized that the directions of magnetization of many rocks do not correspond to the present direction of the geomagnetic field at their sites; but not until the 1950s was there sufficient paleomagnetic data to suggest that the poles had moved in a systematic way over the surface of the Earth.

What was also discovered is the core of the earth actually rotates faster than the surface of the earth. The core is like an engine, sort of dragging the mantle and surface via viscoplastic friction. I would guess the pressure due to gravity, by lowering the entropy of the iron within the core into metallic solid, results in entropy being expressed in other ways; dynamo-rotation.

20. orcot Valued Senior Member

Funny thing tough for Venus
    It's the only one that rotates counter clockwise with a average speed of -6.52km/h (very slow earth rotates at 1674 km/h) this makes me wonder Venus circumference is 38024 km and it takes 224.701 days for it to make 1 rotation, say if Venus would be tidally locked (shows the same face to the sun at all times) it would have to rotate 38024 km/224.701 days that's 7.0508 km/h in the opposite direction. I have no proof that venus toppled one day but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that it did.
    If you would topple venus today a day would last 20 183.13 (earth) days or +55 years. I once did the math but if the surface was a little bid cooler it would contract and spin faster (like a iceskater) it would need have a radius of 5700 km (wel over 300 km less then today but the own suns tidal forces could have slowed it down as well. Current estimates are that wen the moon first formed a earth day was between 8 and 12 hours meaning it took more then a 1000 km/h rotational energy from a even more massive planet. and the difference here is around 0.5km/h.
    (All this is pure speculation and could be pure coincidal like the apparent size of the sun/moon being the same and a mars day lasting roughly 24 hours but this and the martian atmosphere that at the triple point of water of 6 milliebar might in my eyes hold further intrest beyond coincidence)

21. exchemist Valued Senior Member

"BINGO!"

Pity you couldn't have mentioned water, hydrogen bonding or liberals, while you were at it.

22. wellwisher Banned Banned

I was going to mention the impact of water from hydrothermal, superionic, ionic and metallic water in the core and how this allows conduction of potential from the iron core to the water in the atmosphere, but this would have got too deep. I didn't mention liberals, because this was not about blind emotions but conservative logic and fact. Britannica is very conservative publication that deals in facts.

23. wellwisher Banned Banned

The water connection explains why Mars does not have a significant magnetic field even though it has plenty of iron and once had surface water.