What causes the sea water tides?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Zarkov, May 21, 2004.

1. Zarkov Banned Banned

Established belief says that gravity "pulls"

I think it "pushes" as 'pull' just can not happen.

So if "gravity" pushes then the tides should be in advance of the Moon/Earth spin.

Well, guess what, that is observed...

"pull"gravity should have the tides being towed,,,,, but the big love boat in the sky.

Well what is your logic?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Zarkov Banned Banned

How can such an assertion be, I am sure I hear you asking...

just remember water is diamagnetic, which means it is repelled (pushed) by a magnetic field.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Doesn't it take time for a large body of water to move?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Why don't u think 'pulls' cannot happen? Is it something to do with force carrying particles?

8. Blindman Valued Senior Member

Gravity squeezes.. The tides are towed, the drag of the ocean and land (land has tides as well) makes the moon face the earth and eventually the earth will face the moon.. I wonder which hemisphere will get the moon?

9. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

10. Nasor Valued Senior Member

11. Zarkov Banned Banned

>> Zarkov, perhaps you could list some sources for sea water not bulging toward the moon?

I never said that the tides do not bulge towards the Moon.

I said the bulge is in advance of the Moon/Earth's motion leading to a "push" conclusion... Pull in any form is NOT POSSIBLE.( it is word that describes our body motion... not useful in physics)

For newtonian or GR concepts to apply the tides should lag the Moon/Earth motion.

12. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

>>>>For newtonian or GR concepts to apply the tides should lag the Moon/Earth motion.

add a bit of friction and it works.

13. Zarkov Banned Banned

>> add a bit of friction and it works.

Easy words, please explain in more detail, thanks.

14. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Fine. Could you list some sources for that then?

15. matterdoc Registered Senior Member

Tides are deformations of spinning macro bodies, caused by action of a linear 'force' ( or of linearly moving macro bodies, caused by action of torque) on it. Any external 'force'/torque would do, not necessarily gravitational attraction. There are neither pull nor push actions during tides. It is just deformation of whole body. As it is difficult to move solid land mass easily, no appreciable tide can be noticed on them. Usually, tides are noticed in huge water bodies only.
    Nainan

16. Nomadd22 Registered Senior Member

Tides are mainly from the water sloshing back and forth, with the moon and the sun just feeding those cycles. If the sun and moon magically disappeared the tides would still occur for several weeks at lower and lower levels just from the inertia of the water moving back and forth.

17. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

No, tides are not caused by sloshing or spinning, the are caused by differing gravitational force on opposite sides of an object stretching it:http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_force

[Edit: sloshing causes the complex variation in the tides, but it is important to differentiate that from why they happen at all.]

18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Seriously, this thread is from 2004...

19. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

20. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Matterdoc probably fell in here from a Google hit. I think it happens with some regularity.