Life? What are we here for?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by dadubose, May 14, 2004.

1. dadubose Registered Member

Sometimes I tend to struggle with what we are here for and what is life really about. I am sure that there isn't one single right or wrong answer to these questions. I myself vary in different beliefs about this subject. Is it to eat, drink, and be merry? To serve one another? To love? To have wars over religion and money? To fight for freedom? To be fruitful and multiply? ???????? I'm very interested to hear what everyone thinks Life is all about and what are we(humans) here for (whats the true purpose)?

Thanks everyone.

PEACE & SOUL
    dadubose

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

It is simple. There is no answer. Make your meaning untill a definite answer is possibly given to you after death. We have no purpose, but we have potential, we have no direction but we have many roads, we have no agenda, but there are things we want.

Don't look for a meaning or an answer...you'll waste too much time being lost.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It is complex. The meaning of Life transcends your personal meaning. Life is about the generation and preservation of novelty and complexity. You are the leading edge of natural technology, since your brain contains the most interconnected matter yet known. Life seeks to expand dimensionally. From the earliest forms, which could not move, to the conquering of sea, land, air, space, and eventually the hidden dimensions we still know little about, like the mind. Looking for meaning is the most worthwhile activity you can do, even if it inconclusive.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Katazia Black Mamba Registered Senior Member

There is no meaning other than what you create for yourself.

Kat

8. Adstar Valued Senior Member

Establish a relationship with God and help each other on the way

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Katazia Black Mamba Registered Senior Member

Adstar,

How can you estbalish a relationship with something that doesn't exist?

Why? And on the way to where?

Kat

10. dadubose Registered Member

In Adstar's view a God may exist and that's to be respected. In your view Katazia it's obvious that God doesn't exist, I hope everyone respect your view also. This thread isn't to debate whether there's a God or not but to talk about Life and what we are here for. Let's not go there here. Let's not debate that subject in this thread. Let's keep it in the area of Life and it's purpose.

Thanks for your response Katazia.

That's a simple way to look at it and with billions of people here on earth there are a lot of people to help!

11. Q25 Registered Senior Member

you pretty much answered your question

as for me Im only here for the beer!

and to fuck my brains out as often as posible

and to drive/race my car very fast.

and eat good food.

also love to fly,listen to good music,travel,live a healthy lifestyle,exercise,
    and make the world a better place by inventing/improving things.

and since I believe that death is the end I plan to live as long as I can

--------------------------------------------------------------
    your life and its meaning is what you make it!

12. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Hmmm....first you say that

Then why say that? He/she created a meaning for him/herself so why question it then?

13. shrubby pegasus Registered Senior Member

im here to have fun and enjoy this short time that i will exist. F*** everything else

14. Bubblecar Registered Senior Member

"Meaning" has no meaning except in the context of "cognition". Since it's unlikely that any two observers perceive the world in exactly the same way, "meaning" is always to some extent unique to each individual, even when they think they're perceiving/ conceiving the same world, & the same meanings therein as others.

So "the meaning of life" is indeed whatever you personally perceive it to be.

15. Katazia Black Mamba Registered Senior Member

Dadubose,

Then perhaps the thread would be better placed in general philosophy and not the religion forum.

But the issue of the existence of a god or not was raised by Adstar in his statement that effectively asserts – a god must exist so let’s establish a relationship with it. If the debate is to cover life and our purpose and theism is on the table then my question becomes entirely relevant.

If you take the theist position then the debate will revolve around speculations of what plans the particular deity has made for you and what you must do to fulfill its desires. The secular argument would be quite different.

Kat

16. Katazia Black Mamba Registered Senior Member

Sargentlard,

One would expect a chosen meaning to have value and I find the stated choice of dubious value.

There is no debate if there are no questions – the thread would become just a bland list of statements otherwise.

Or are you upset because I have questioned a choice that has a theist tone?

There is no conflict between my two sets of statements. The personal choice of a meaning is clear, and I think it is healthy that people make such choices. A real value of the thread should then become one of discussion of stated choices. Or do you wish to object to debating in a debating forum?

Kat

17. Proud_Muslim Shield of Islam Registered Senior Member

Here is my answer from Islamic perspective:

Where from? Where to? And Why?

Any ignorance, however great, could be forgiven except for man to be ignorant about the secret of his existence, his aim in life and what will be his outcome after death. Some thinkers express these questions in simple words: where from? Where to? And why? Meaning: where did I come from? Where am I going? And why am I here?

Those who only believe in the material world and who do not believe in a Creator- the atheists- only believe in sensory data. They say that this universe and everything in it came by itself. All its order is simply due to blind coincidence. They say that man is simply like an animal or a plant and that he will exist for a short period and then end like any other animal or plant.

An Arab Poet, Elya Abu Madhi (a born-Christian), not long ago expressed his uncertainty about the purpose of life in his Arabic poem Al-Talasim, meaning “puzzles,” which I have translated into English. He says in his poem:

I came not knowing from where, but I came.
    And I saw a pathway in front of me, so I walked.
    And I will remain walking, whether I want this or not.
    How did I come? How did I see my pathway?
    I do not know!
    Am I new or am I old in this existence?
    Am I free and unrestrained, or do I walk in chains?
    Do I lead myself in my life, or am I being led?
    I wish I know, but…
    I do not know!
    And my path, oh what is my path? Is it long or is it short?
    Am I ascending in it, or am I going down and sinking?
    Am I the one who is walking on the road,
    or is it the road that is moving?
    Or are we both standing, but it is the time that is running?
    I do not know!
    Before I became a full human, do you see
    if I were nothing, impossible? Or do you see that I was something?
    Is there an answer to this puzzle, or will it remain eternal?
    I do not know ... and why do I not know??
    I do not know!

This feeling of doubt and confusion about the presence of a Creator and whether He sent messengers and prophets to guide mankind must be quite painful because it deprives the Atheist and the Agnostic of tranquility, security and peace of mind. The unbelievers do not have credible answers to the purpose of one’s existence. And thus they say that man lives for himself and for the pleasures of this life. So what happens when life turns sour? What happens when one goes through hardships? It is no coincidence then that the largest number of suicides takes place amongst Atheists, Agnostics and people who do not know their purpose in life. Do you know which country has the largest number of suicides? It’s Japan. In the year ending March 2000, there were 33,000 suicides in Japan. That is 91 suicides per day or 1 suicide every 15 minutes! This despite Japan being the second largest economy in the world wherein people do not have to worry about providing a roof over their heads or about food or medical care.

http://www.islam-guide.com/purpose-of-life.htm#s1

18. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

The purpose of life? Maybe to collect other people's writings instead of speaking from the heart? Sorry, couldn't resist. I've tried to be nice, but it does get tiring never reading an original thought.

I'd say that the purpose of life is just that, life. Live life to the fullest. Help those whom you can help. Accept help from those who can help you. Learn everything you can and pass that knowledge, the thirst for knowledge to the next generation.

19. dadubose Registered Member

You are funny invert_nexus!

and I feel what you are saying right there but also keep in mind that others say things that bares witness to our own original thoughts and for a lack of better words we use their words to express how we feel. But I feel the same way too invert_nexus!

If we adopt simple things like this "I" believe that many of us will live life to the fullest.
    That's the heart of humanity right there and many ignore the call to live together. I believe that we lose a sense of purpose when we live selfishly and forget consciously that we are here to help each other.

20. dadubose Registered Member

I think that Adstar was giving his/her view. I understand your views and think that your comments were fine after your second post. I just don't think that arguing about whether God exists or not is going to allow people to express their views about Life and it's purpose. Two different topics in my opinion.

21. moementum7 ~^~You First~^~ Registered Senior Member

My meaning in life.
    To acheive clarity through and through, in all areas of my life.
    To acheive certainty.
    To contiually progress in life,
    Self Esteem
    Self Reliance
    Finances
    Realtionships
    Spiritual/Emotional
    Materially
    and daily.
    That if there is a God, he respects and honours my decision to live my life through my own effort.
    To guide my life through the use of reason, while respecting my emotions.
    To have a broad heart and high intellect.
    To share my confidence with others.
    To understand that I will indeed one day die, yet understand the value of a single moment.
    To shape my life in a way congruent with my highest values, and resting on a place of balance uncovered through errors, mistakes and failures along the way.
    To get up one more time than I fall down.
    To have a mind closed to irrationalism, and a heart open to peoples potential.
    To learn from my mistakes.
    To know in the end, that I am the only one who will truly know, if I went for it or not.
    To increase my awarenes in every day life for what I am grateful for.
    To get stronger, become more, to lead people, and manage time.
    To immitate, integrate and match the good I see in another, and to let go of any faults I find in myself.
    To keep my head up.
    To understand and face my fears.
    To beleive in myself, and thus the world.
    And to live by a quote by I beleive President Abraham Lincoln.
    To do what I can...
    With where I am...
    With what I have...
    At this time.

And of course to be fucking awesome!

22. Yazan the truth is always hidden. Registered Senior Member

23. moementum7 ~^~You First~^~ Registered Senior Member

Wow!
    Did you write that yourself Yazan?
    Did you come to that conclusion by yourself, or were you just feeling vulnerable enough to accept it at the time it was introduced to you?
    How did you come to the conclusion that this was the right way for you?

Could you possibly describe that text in your own way?
    Or is it not yours to call your own yet?
    Congratulations anywho!