Something above!!!

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by gOn, May 11, 2004.

1. gOn Guest

Hello,

I'm not religious but i do believe in something above... Its a funny sensation. I don't see it... i have no reason to believe in it... yet, I know it's there.
    Maybe it's just Cannabbis talking :m:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Seriously... you think it's possible that there's something above? God, or something like that...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Welcome to sciforums, gOn. What exactly do you mean when you use the word "above?" Above your head, above the clouds, above the atmosphere, in the outer universe? Since you say you are "not religious," do you feel that it is something of a higher intelligence or something like that? I'd like to answer your questions, but I need the specifics of what you mean by "something above." Please describe it for me.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. gOn Guest

How can i describe something that i don't see?...
    When i say above... I'm being metaphoric...

Anyway... what do you believe?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TheERK Registered Senior Member

That's pretty much what being religious is.

8. gOn Guest

No, religion is mostly ritual... and praying... going to church on sundays... and sometimes to put bombs in abortion clinics. God, or something like that, and religion can be separate things.

9. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: gOn, I sincerely hope you're not serious about the bomb thing. I find that terribly offensive.

But to answer you, religion can become an addiction, because, ultimately, that's what church leaders endeavor to do--brainwash the masses to control them and keep them coming back for more. It's their livelihood. You already admit "religion is mostly ritual... and praying... going to church on sundays...". Christian terrorists, in their present day inquisition, encourage their obsessive-compulsive fellow zealots to bomb abortion clinics. I'll say it again. Christianity is evil.

10. Katazia Black Mamba Registered Senior Member

g0n,

Dunno. People have been talking about gods and things like that for thousands of years and no one has yet shown that one might be possible.

Science is silent on the issue since science needs evidence to do its thing and there aint no evidence.

Just from the sheer lack of anything real to support the idea it seems highly unlikely that such things exist. There doesn't appear to be a need for such things either.

Kat

11. SVRP Registered Senior Member

Yes, and God wants you to know Him.

12. DoctorNO Ultra Electro Agnostic Registered Senior Member

It is likely that there is something out there greater than man. It may or may not be a god but it sure hasnt revealed itself to us. Every religion we have today so far are man-made.

13. TheERK Registered Senior Member

No, they are not separate things. You can't believe in God without being religious due to the definition of religion. You can, however, be religious without believing in God.

14. Adstar Valued Senior Member

I know what gOn is talking about when he declares a difference between religion and what he is seeking. While books define religion as something, more perceptive people know what it has come to mean and try their best to avoid it because it is false. Religion is man defining God. But what we seek is God to reveal Himself to us.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

15. Q25 Registered Senior Member

yeah,
    there is sky above,
    then universe full of stars and planets that has no end,so it most likely had no begining.
    gods are just a human invention.
    and completely unnecesary imo.
    www.atheists.org

16. gOn Guest

In that case i must be the exception... because i don't like religion and i think God is Real. In Religion you must adore God, and pay tribute. Without this there is no religion... and i don't do this things...

17. gOn Guest

OK, i respect your atheism... and Yes gods are human invention. But this doesn't mean there is no God, or Gods...

18. SVRP Registered Senior Member

De 4:29 - " But from there you will seek the LORD your God, and you will find {Him} if you search for Him with all your heart and all your soul. "

Heb 11:6 - "And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him. " NASB

God will let you find Him if you seek for Him with your whole heart.

19. 1Dude Registered Senior Member

I agree with you SVRP!

20. Katazia Black Mamba Registered Senior Member

SVRP,

Repeat something to yourself often enough and you can fool yourself into believing anything.

Of course if there were any real evidence that your claims were true then you could simply see the truth for youself and not have to got through self hypnosis.

Kat

21. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

I do "believe" in god(s), but that does not affect my present being. I live my life the way I want, there are no gods I care about. When I never see, hear or feel gods they can be as easily nonexistent. Because I do not care about them, I do not have the feeling of something being above me, except the sky and the universe. Then again, those are not really above me, they are around me.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. SVRP Registered Senior Member

Thank you for your response, Katazia, but I didn't mention anything about repeating something or self-hypnosis. I have only pointed out a promise from God that He says He will keep if the person is sincerely seeking for God from his/her heart.
    For example, if you and I make an agreement that if you do something for me then I must do something for you, a promise built on an action from each of us. And if written down, a contract between individuals. The promise goes into effect when you perform the agreed upon action first whereupon I must perform my action to fulfill the promise.
    The Bible is filled with such promises. This is one that God will fulfill if you are sincerely seeking Him.

23. Katazia Black Mamba Registered Senior Member

SVRP,

Ah but yes you have.

This action is indistinguishable from self-hypnosis. And the reference to “his/her heart” asserts that this is an emotional activity as opposed to something that is objective or real.

God is an imaginative concept and you can no more find God by sincerely seeking with your heart than you can find fairies or leprechauns. That you finally become convinced that the concept is a reality is simply the fulfillment of a deep seated emotional desire. This is self-hypnosis, or perhaps simply an irrational delusion.

If you attempt to sincerely seek God using evidence, logic, science, reason, etc, you will discover zilch. Or can you make a case where emotions are more effective for discovering truth than deductive reasoning?

Kat