Pseudoscience Moderator Voting - Second Try

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by goofyfish, May 6, 2004.

?

Who Should Moderate Pseudoscience?

Poll closed May 20, 2004.
  1. Dr Lou Natic

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  2. Stryderunknown

22 vote(s)
    44.9%
  3. Persol

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  4. sargentlard

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  5. SkinWalker

14 vote(s)
    28.6%
  6. Votorx

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  7. None Of The Above

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Pseudoscience Moderator - Cast Your Vote

As a result of the (rather limited) response to the thread regarding how the poll should
    be set up, multiple choices will be allowed, and a choice for "None Of The Above" is included.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Vote SkinWalker

He is offically endorsed by Porfiry (AKA "sciforum god")
    because if SkinWalker becomes mod, Crazymikey promises to leave sciforums forever!!!

What I'm looking for:
    1. Someone who goes to pseudoscience a lot
    2. A skeptic that will continue questioning the delusional with “what is your evidence?” questions and also present theories based of the evidence presented that runs in accordance with occum’s razor.

Of these only SkinWalker and Persol fits the qualifications, and Persol droped out of the race. All the rest don’t post enough in psuedoscience; look for your selves by doing a seach for all their posts. Stryderunknown is not only not qualified but also is already a moderator and I don’t like re-electing a moderator, fresh blood is needed!

So in conclusion:
    Vote SkinWalker

Last edited: May 9, 2004
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. VRob Registered Senior Member

If SkinWalker wins this election, you might as well just close down the section.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

VRob,

SkinWalker isn't going to close you people don't, the threads will still be open as long as things haven’t got abusive or repetitive, its just SkinWalker will do a good job disproving you.

What makes you think Stryderunknown will be more open to your delusions(if you think that)? He just won’t be around that much so basically there won’t be much of a change in that forum, I think that’s what you’re basically looking for.

8. VRob Registered Senior Member

You can think whatever you want fetus.

I'm stating my opinion based on my previous discussions with each candidate.

Stryder has usually been open to different ideas, and doesn't resort to attacking the subject or the individual.

Skinwalker has a clear agenda. If it can't be proven by todays science. It simply doesn't exist.

9. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Seems the Dirt's already been flung by WellCookedFetus although I should state,
    "Easy there fella, this isn't politics you know!"

I would question how he meant "Qualified", Pseudoscience needs someone to maintain some form of stability between both of the groups at each end of the Pseudoscience scale.

Vying for either end of the scale doesn't maintain a harmonious, balanced equillibrium that a good forum does make.

I could strive to gain votes by rallying support from peers that I feel would support me, but I'm hoping if they come across this thread they will do that anyway.
    (Even out of fair play, I voted for none of the above, so as not to bolster my votes)

With that out the way, back to your election (Remember it's your election, you choose, nothing I say or any of the others effects that. VOTE!)

10. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

That not Skinwalker agenda! His agenda not that if it can't be prevent it doesn't exits its that if it can't be proven then most rational theory for it is the most likely answer. To prove a UFO was flown by aliens is going to take more then a sighting that could have been mistaken for venus.

Stryderunknown,

You are already a moderator! Why moderate another forum? Does its seem fair to you that only moderators get elected for moderator positions?

11. VRob Registered Senior Member

After translation to English,

Occums razor is a crutch for the ignorant. If it can't be proven one way or the other, why must a conclusion be made at all?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Why not further research?

12. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

VRob,

Further research is always needed, as science can never proved anything only attributed evidence to it. Occum’s razor simple states that the simplest hypothesis is most likely, and that other more complex hypotheses need more evidence. For example to prove a ufo was flown by aliens over that of it just being a sighting of venus, you need evidence that it flow around, that aliens came out and declare they flew the thing, ect.

Also this is not the thread or sub-forum to discuses this on.

13. 2inquisitive The Devil is in the details Registered Senior Member

Fetus, Occum's Razor does not state the simplest hypothesis is most likely. Read up
    on it.

14. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Vote for me guys

Seriously

:threatening throat cutting motion:

15. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

sorry 2inquisitive thats what it roughly translates to, my I ask what you find it you mean?

With Persol up there I vote for him as well, so multi-choice was a good idea

Last edited: May 6, 2004
  16. VRob Registered Senior Member

How did Stryder's count go from 5 to 4?

17. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Ok, I haven't voted yet. My concern is two fold.

First I don't want people to be able top keep posting infromation which they have no support for except for very qeustionable sources.

Second, I don't want someone who will delete a post just because it 'looks' stupid. There should be ample room for someone to answer a question... with their posts only being dealt with if they show no attempt to answer.

Who agrees, and who would do that if they were a mod?

18. VRob Registered Senior Member

And who decides what sources are credible Persol?

IMO, we might as well nominate Q and close down the Pseudoscience section.

19. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

pseudoscience is not about place where kooks rule, its about a place were kooks chant their delusions and we correct them.

20. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Actually, Pseudoscience is exactly the place for clains with no credible evidence.
    At the same time, posts of that nature should have to endure the questioning of others.

21. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

goofyfish,

that sounds about right to me.

So we need a moderator that will allow the kooks their existence and allow them to chant their crap, but at the same time question them and their beliefs with reason and logic. A moderator the will only put its foot down when people get abusive, violent or non-contributing and also when a thread has gone in cycles for 20 pages, etc.

for that to happen we need a "full-time" moderator for pseudoscience, Stryderunknown who already has a sub-forum to moderate could not possible devote as much time to psuedoscience as SkinWalker or Persol.

Last edited: May 6, 2004
  22. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Yeah, that does sound right saying 'I believe in ET because my friend saw a UFO' is different then 'there is a masssive conspiracy to hide the existance of UFOs, and I have evidence... but won't provide it'. The first is IMHO fine. The second completely lacks credibility or anything to actually talk about.

When somebody decides to make a claim that they 'know' something, but then are unable to actually carry the discussion to the next step, there is a problem. Disengaging from the questions asked and spamming with totally unrelated 'evidence' that a problem exists.

Like I said before, stupid questions are to be expected. Attempts at answers are also to be expected.

23. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Moderation of a forum like this isn't about pushing one's agenda over another. It's about ensuring that the rules of the forum are followed. If I were to moderate the Pseudoscience forum, the only moderation I could see myself doing based on what I've seen to date is editing some ad hominem remarks (and *only* those remarks), deleting occasional spam, splitting threads that go off on legitimate (but off topic) directions, and locking of threads where flame wars erupt.

The latter, I admit, seems rare, but I've seen it occur. The only other thing I might do as a moderator is merge similar threads or vanquish non-pseudoscience related threads to another forum.

As much as I've disagreed with posters like crazymikey, Norval, et al (even Vrob on occasion), I wouldn't use moderator ability to suppress or oppress their point of view. I'd use what I always have... my own intellect

Whoever becomes the moderator of the pseudoscience forum needs to keep that into consideration.

I'm not going to advertise other forum sites, but if anyone is interested in my moderation ability or level of active moderation, I can give them a link to another forum where I am the current moderator. Just PM me and I'll oblige. The demographic is a bit different, than here, but I'm familiar with vBulletin mod commands and have a track-record.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.