The limitations of the word God

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Quantum Quack, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

If I were God I'd get my name changed by deed poll......way to much confusion, slander, false representation, misinterpretations, sheesh......what a label......and no "use by date"

Seriously,
    This word starting with "G" is about the most confusing word in the dictionary. It has so many meanings and evokes so many different opinions and descriptions.

There are more versions of God than there are people.....some of course having multiple versions etc.....

Is there anyway this name can be salvaged from the ravishes of our subjective turmoils?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

i believe there is the use of the word YHWH as a synonym for God. Just use the name that He told us to use in a humble manner.

could anyone please explain to me about YHWH by the way?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

OK!! I don't see anything wrong with the name god!! specially while having lustfull and meaningless sex with some chick and she keeps yelling (God,god,god!!) To me that's fine and dandy word, short and to the point!. If she were yelling (medicine*woman) It just would be wayhay!! too long of a breath, between the action of thrust! if you catch my drift.

as for YHWH, how the hell would that sound? It would most defenetly get me confused, and I would think she's either yelling YYYHwow!! or something it just woulndn't work!.

With out god, we wouldn't have the frace "god-damn" M*W damn just wouldn't sound right, nor would YHWH it just woulndn't make any sense.

On another note, aren't we glad god named his son Jesus!!, could you imangine if you hit your finger by accident with a hammer and yelled out "Alleyah, Mohamed" or something of the like?, it just wouldn't make any sense. That name "jesus" also works well when in the throws of passion, and the extacy reaches it's peak and she yells "Jesus!!", that sound a bit better than yelling Mohamed or Alleyah, wouldn't it?.

Godless.

8. Q25 Registered Senior Member

unless you're Proud Muslim

9. Q25 Registered Senior Member

10. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

YHWH is the personal name by which God revealed himself to Moses. But why should God have a name?
    God himself identifies his name as Yahweh in Exodus 3:15; 6:3. Strictly speaking, all other 'names' are either generic terms (e.g., Elohîm, 'God') or apellative titles or epithets (e.g., Adonai, 'Lord'). But it is not sufficient to stop with the statement that Yahweh is his name, for the word 'name' itself possesses far-reaching implications in Semitic usage. When God speaks of his 'name' as Yahweh, he means that Yahweh is his self-disclosure - his revealed character, nature, essence, or being.
    - YHWH Sabaoth: "The Lord Almighty"

That explains why a name can have names (identities or "attributes"):
    "Do not worship any other god, for YHWH [the Lord], whose name is jealous [qana], is a jealous [qana] God". (Ex.34:14)​
    "Just as a bird watches over her eggs from predators, God also watches over his children in his nest protecting them from predetors - other gods." The root of qana (to guard) is qaneh (to build or create), as in "God most high creator (qaneh) of sky and earth" (Genesis 14:19).
    source: Ancient Hebrew root word study: Creator.

In other words, the Creator's name is YHWH, as opposed to the identity of any other god. Through his name alone, God made it clear that he alone was the Lord of creation.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2004
  11. Katazia Black Mamba Registered Senior Member

The confusion comes because the word is both a simple noun and a name.

The term "a god" refers to a simple noun, but the term "God" is the name of a specific god, much like "a man" can have a specific name like "Tony" for example.

The confusion comes because the Judeo/Christian religions have named their god, God.

To a large extent it reflects their arrogance which is understandable because they believe there is only one god so there is no need or meaning to make any distinction with others gods which of course don't exist in their rationale.

So we should use lower case g when referring to the concept of a god, and use upper case G when referring to the mythical god of Christianity. We would do the same thing if we were referring to other mythical gods like Zeus (upper case Z), etc.

Kat

12. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

if you read the post above yours Im sure you'll discover that "the mythicalgod of Christianity" cannot be "God most high creator of sky and earth".

Stop being foolish - there can be no confusion unless you want there to be...

13. Katazia Black Mamba Registered Senior Member

Why would God want to be worshipped? Isn't that a sign of insecurity?

14. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

15. okinrus Registered Senior Member

I think you will agree that ultimately someone either worships himself(not always as a God), material or other persons. It is just the answer to the question "what is most important?"

Now there are atheist applies to this question that agree with, for instance, truth, justice and love. But I see these as God, the infusion of God into his creation.

16. okinrus Registered Senior Member

I have no problem with other religions who are monotheist using the title "God" to refer to God. "God" is a noun but not a name. I would consider it more of a title. For example, we capitalize King when refering to a specific king.

To South. Yahweh is the name of God, usually attributed to the meaning "I am who I am." I don't think it would be a good idea, since Yahweh is considered by Jews too holy a name to use in common situations. This is not without merit, I think.

17. VitalOne Banned Banned

The name doesn't matter, what it represents does. That's what I think is true for everything.

18. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

Unless the name is being misrepresented, which is often the case. Then it's of utmost importance to make a distinction between the two, because the original identity is at stake. God made his identity clear in various ways, many of them contrary to the popular perception, but none of them was a complete definition.

To paraphrase Jesus' parable (Matt.22:19-21): We give taxes (tribute) to the government, because they have a share in what we own and in what we benefit from them. As our Creator, what do you think is God's share in us, in our lives? As the money bears the image of government (such the head of the president), we bear the image of God.

And in addition to that, to draw from a second parable (Luke 15), if we took that share and squandered it, but God wrote it off, what is our debt to Him - or to phrase it better: what is our relationship with Him?

But it doesn't stop there; the two combine in a third parable (Matt.18:23-35) that shows our debt to (or relationship with) each other follows inextricably from this relationship with God. The only way to worship God is by loving and forgiving each other in the same way. Not so bad, is it? Not egocentric or insecure at all, in fact, quite the opposite.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2004
  19. Katazia Black Mamba Registered Senior Member

Jenyar,

That’s fine, it is a practical working relationship, but I do not “worship” the government. And through any fair system, e.g. democratic, ultimately we have a say in what benefits are generated.

Unknown – it is not possible to comprehend the mind of God. But I had no say in whether I was created and what physical attributes I would be given.

But the money is something we control, we have no say or choice in what God does or want.

I think your comparison with government doesn’t quite work. A better example would be that of a parent to a child. But I don’t expect or want my children to worship me. I am grateful if they show me respect but I do not expect it if it is not earned. It was entirely my decision to create my children; they had no say in the matter. I had children because it was something I wanted, they owe me nothing and I do not expect anything from them. Similarly a creator god creates because he wants to do that, his creations are entirely his choice, they have no say in what environment or attributes they have.

My question is why would we worship a creator for doing something he wants and presumably gains pleasure from being godlike? The first commandment is that we must worship him – this reflects the ego of God – he wants to be recognized as the most important thing there is as the highest priority. As a parent I gain pleasure when I see my children learn and succeed in life and I would be extremely embarrassed and disappointed if they began to worship me.

Good question – just what is it that God wants from his creations – pleasure presumably – why else would anyone or anything do something voluntary if not for their own satisfaction and pleasure? Even altruists take their actions because they take pleasure from doing so – in essence there can be no such thing as a true altruist.

There can be no debt for something we did not request or voluntarily accept. There can never be an obligation to someone/something who has taken an unsolicited voluntary action for their own ultimate gain; that we also benefit is incidental. For example if I gave and forced you to accept $1M then that would be my choice, would you then feel obligated to me for my unsolicited action? You should not. Now if there was some service expected in exchange for this payment and you voluntary accepted then that would be different – but a creator god never asks beforehand if we want his unsolicited payment – i.e. we have no choice and therefore no obligation to such a creator – we would owe him nothing.

But we are able to figure that out for ourselves that loving and forgiving each other is for our own mutual benefit – we don’t need a god to tell us that and we do not owe him anything in exchange for something we can figure for ourselves.

So here is where I think you missed the point – anyone who expects to be worshipped is and by definition necessarily egocentric and insecure. The first commandment demands that he be worshipped – that is entirely a requirement to satisfy the ‘self’, i.e. egocentricity. And the insecurity comes when someone is in constant need to be reminded how good they are. If they are truly good then they will never care whether anyone notices or not.

Kat

Last edited: Apr 23, 2004
  20. divine sapience Registered Senior Member

who left out the ELOHIM!?

21. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

22. Katazia Black Mamba Registered Senior Member

*outh*tar,

And we all know that pride comes before a fall - let's hope soon.

Yes the classic symptoms of egocentricty and insecurity - does he have the number of a good therapist?

Ah yes tyranny and expectation of mindlessness.

And you worship this idiot? Are you nuts?

Kat

23. okinrus Registered Senior Member

Katazia, what or who do you consider most important in your life?

Perhaps in away. But God is not exactly a single person, though. Both the Father and Son can love each other forming love. Jesus said to his disciples that he no longer considered them slaves but friends.

I don't think your analogy to the Old Testament is fair. I do no consider worshiping God slavery but rejecting the things of the world which do enslave. Within God there's true freedom.