21 Grams=your soul?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by rainbow__princess_4, Feb 28, 2004.

1. rainbow__princess_4 The Ashtray Girl Registered Senior Member

Well, if you ignore everything that the movie "21 Grams" tells you, you lose between 15 and 26 grams of bodyweight within 10 minutes of death... supposedly this is the weight of your soul/spirit/whatever and you lose this weight as your soul leaves your body. Could this be true? What other explanations are there?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

This is an urban myth. There is no such loss of weight within 10 minutes of death.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. chunkylover58 Make it a ... CHEEEESEburger Registered Senior Member

Why would your souls, a noncorporeal entity, have any weight at all? My first inclination would be to presume expelled gases and moisture from the final breath, if it were indeed true that this weight loss occurred. It was measured long ago by a doctor, and the weight loss did show itself, but there are questions as to the validity of the tests, the small sample size, and the overall sloppy technique of the method of weighing the bodies.

See:

http://www.snopes.com/religion/soulweight.asp

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

Well...

There is a notable loss of weight at death.

But unless you consider your soul to be a mixture of feces and urine, it's probably not what you're after.

8. chunkylover58 Make it a ... CHEEEESEburger Registered Senior Member

Weight of body+weight of underwear=total weight of pre-death body?

9. munim_786 Banned Banned

it is sceintifc fact that you lose a certain amount of weight after you die. but who knows why?

10. Nasor Valued Senior Member

A scientific fact, eh? So I suppose you have a reference to a scientific journal to back that up? Or are you just repeating something that someone else told you without actually bothering to check the facts yourself?

11. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

Other than the obvious losses per urine and feces, one can cite the lack of blood circulation through the lungs as it triggers a brief rise in temperature, which can lead to the evaporation of moisture.

This has been posited as the cause before.

Remember, there is no real data on this.

12. Cyorg Registered Member

I don't know if you really lose 21 grams when you die, but to think that the final breath weighs that much sounds like a bit of a stretch. Not everyone pisses and shits themselves when they die, and to lose 21 grams of moisture in ten minutes without expelling any energy to do so sounds a bit wild to me. As far as I know the only loss of weight that can be accounted for after death is the loss of organs and decay, both of which take a little longer than ten minutes. If there is weight loss it may be the soul, but I don't think that it has any measureable weight.

13. rainbow__princess_4 The Ashtray Girl Registered Senior Member

Well there was that Californian guy who later on last century weighed people in a cancer hospital... I don't actually know of anyone else but all myths come from somewhere. I don't think that this is a myth anyway, but you guys are probably right.

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

rainbow princess:

Yes. The myth of Little Red Riding Hood comes from somewhere. The myth of Lord of the Rings comes from somewhere. And the myth of 21 grams comes from somewhere. Just because something comes from somewhere doesn't make it true.

15. Morion Registered Member

actually the lord of the ring does come from some where... well actually someone! J.R.R. Tolkien! he was a history professer and he took the basics of history and made A COMPLETLY FICTICIOUS BOOK SOLD IN 3 VOLUMES! and perhaps little red riding hood was probably s story told to scare little kids about kidnappers. but hey little red riding hood is really old and i cant be sure about its origins but the LOTR thing im pretty sure of where it came from... sry i had to put in my smartass comments no harm intended!

16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

That was my point, Morion.

17. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

Make them funny next time.