What was the most significant Event in the History of Man?

Discussion in 'History' started by Xerxes, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

To set the tone for this great new forum: What was the most significant event in the history of man?

I'm gonna have to go with the Rennaissance.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Wow, first thread here. I would say that it's the moon landing. Landing on a different surface, 33 million miles away proves that man can do just about anything.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

the events that have yet to come

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

*at present writing a thread on revisionist history, give me a couple of days its going to be big!*

Last edited: Jan 28, 2004
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Alexander Gramh bell spills battery acid on his hand and his assistant comes rushing in because he heard his scream through the first working model of the telelphone.

8. Fenris Wolf Banned Banned

Probably whatever event led to the end of the dominance of the reptiles.

9. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Thats a good one fenris wolf, in the same vain I would say the reptile that developed mammal like characteristics and eventually branched out to become the family we know as mammals today. The mammal type is what allowed creatures to become so complex as to allow such a species as homo-sapien to emerge.

As for the most significant event in human history, I would say that was when humans first rubbed wood together and made fire, it all snowballed from there.

10. Chalaco Registered Senior Member

day I was born

11. miraporvos Registered Member

The invention of money. Hands down. None of *this* <looks out the window at civilization> would be possible without it.

12. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

in my opinion i would have to say when fire was discovered and/or when the television was invented

13. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

forgive for disagreeing on a purely biological standpoint but mammals are not at all the definitively most complex class of animals, take birds for example warm blooded and very advance brain structure, dinosaurs were most likely warm blooded, in fact there is a hypothesis that if the great K/T event (meteor impact) 65 million years ago did not happen we would all be bipedal, 3 fingered dinosaurs most likely descended from Stenonychosaurus (Troodon).

Soooo when talking about history lets limited it the events during the time of humen existance.

14. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

To the topic, I'll say the birth of Industrialization--> the very beginning of our severe dependency on biofuel (coals, petroleum)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2004
  15. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

aaah you mean fossil fuels, as we have been running ob biofuels since well forever (food, horses powered by foood, ect)

16. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

The Wright brothers take flight. What a significant point in history.

17. Undecided Banned Banned

The most important events in Western history would be:

- Reformation
    - 30 Years War
    - Enlightenment
    - American Revolution
    - French Revolution

Those 5 things made the West into what it is today, for better or for worse the leader.

In the 20th century I would say the Treaty of Versailles was the most important thing to happen. It set the precedent until and exceeding our time.

18. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Dr. Lou:
    Yes, I can totally imagine you setting on fire seeing two boys rubbing wood.

As for significant events: the practically of those Clever Phonecians.

These were merchant people that sat down one day and noticed how fucking annoying the Sumerican alphabet was- and so, in order to save time and money, they borrowed a few pictures form the Egypitians, simplified the Sumerian code and PRESTO- they ground down all those annoying fingernail wedges (cuneiform) down to the practical simplicity of 22 letters.

If not, we'd all be sitting here with an alphabet as long as Tiassa's fucking posts.

19. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

I think it was when the first human finally thought something like "it must have been god" in regards to whatever perplexed them at the time.

Edit:

Nevermind, someone else would have thought of it.

20. mouse can't sing, can't dance Registered Senior Member

In my perspective, every event that teached us a bit more about our place in the whole scheme of things: Darwin's origins of species, and all those moments of insight drawing us the picture of a planet in a solar system, in a galaxy, in a supercluster, in a universe. Hard, if not impossible, to elect one of those points in time as the most significant.

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The most significant event in the history of man was probably the mass extinction of the dinasaurs, although that happened before we evolved. After we actually existed as a species, the most significant event might be the invention of language.

22. Undecided Banned Banned

What was the most significant event in the history of man?

Recorded history, or Pre-historic as well?

I say one of the most important figures if not the most important of all time, has to be Jesus Christ. Not because I am a catholic, but because he was able to challenge conventional morality, confront the pagan Roman Empire (nothing is wrong with Paganism in Rome), he was able to bring a tinge of utilitarian ethics on to man. He is a man who fundamentally shaped 3 billion people's lives today, and yes there have been great things done in his name, and very bad things. But it wasn't his fault; it was a perversion of his vision.

In the East I would say that Confucius was the most important figure to that part of the world. He established morality that would rule China and influence the surrounding regions even to this day. Oriental ethics are very much shaped by his respect for authority and his deep analytical thought. I heard that he could be compared to Jesus, a Jesus of the East. But I think that Chinese are more advanced then any western culture (imo), and they are closer to our secular humanist ethics of today, hundreds of years before 1648.

23. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The invention of the written word.

That way ideas can be passed from generation to generation without being lost. Words alone can't stand the test of time but books will be around for a long time.