So Cold...

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by orthogonal, Jan 16, 2004.

1. orthogonal Registered Senior Member

I've spent the past few days alone in a small hut located at the 4030 foot elevation (1228 meters) of the highest mountain in Vermont. Last night the wind gusted to 102 mph (164 km/hr) and the temperature dropped to -32 degrees F (-35C). The effective windchill temperature falls off my chart. Yesterday's high temperature here was -24 degrees F (-31C).

The water is frozen, the inkpens are frozen...nothing seems to work. Even the large VHF television transmitter I maintain barely started this morning and it's still running at reduced power. Last night I slept in my sleeping bag fully dressed and wearing my winter parka...and yet still I froze. Not that I could sleep anyway with the hut wall next to my head literally humming from the wind velocity. In my past 16 years of living and working here it's never felt this cold.

Is it warm where you live? If so, could you tell me what it f f f feels like?

Michael

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bells Staff Member

Ummm excuse me for asking, but why are you even there? Work? Time away and alone? Experiencing the wilderness? And errrr how is the computer working in that hut (if you're still there that is)? If you're not, nevermind on that question.. lol

And I think it might be cruel to tell you what the weather is like here at the moment. But what the hell

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It's hot, very hot and very humid to the point of being almost steamy outside. If I could move into my fridge or freezer I would at the moment. I almost envy you your cold. It's hot enough that even a cold shower feels too warm. I'm living with all windows and doors open with ceiling fans on high in the hope of catching a breeze. However in the late afternoon a sea breeze blows in giving us some tiny respite, until that too dies down and we end up being hot and steamy again. I find myself living for the next morning where I can go for a swim in an ocean that also feels as tepid as my cold shower.

There, that's what it's like where I am

. Sorry if that was mean... hehehe

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Oh man its stinking hot here. I have to put frozen bottles of water in my fish tank to stop them from boiling.
    I sleep with my windows wide open and a fan on my nude carcass and I still sweat like a fucking pig. After I get out of a cold shower I'm sweating before I start brushing my teeth. Sometimes it feels like I'm going to suffocate from the humidity as well, you could go crazy, you just want to run away but there's no where to go, everywhere is like being locked in a sauna.
    Tap water comes out warm, I need to go to the refridgerator to get a cold drink so frequently that nothing in the fridge stays cold because I keep letting stinking hot air in there.
    I'd go for a swim at the beach but the water is just as hot, its like having a bath. It and the river act like a heat regulator for my city, so it stays insanely hot all night and all day.

Still, I think I'll stay here rather than go where you are, fuck me, that sounds awful.
    The place I grew up would get cold as in the winter, I'd sleep in all clothes and under five thick blankets and with a beanie on and I'd wake up with a freezing face.
    And I used to have to play rugby at 6 in the morning in bare feet in the middle of winter(as a little kid), looking back that was some crazy cruel and unusual punishment. You're feet would freeze off and the phyical activity wouldn't warm you up because you were too cold to get started. I remember getting home and sitting in front of a heater with an uncontrolable shiver, chattering teeth and blue lips and I wouldn't warm up for hours.
    Tempereture extremes suck. There's no such thing as cold where I live now thank god, maybe 2 weeks in the year when you could tolerate a sweater.
    I think i hate cold more than heat which is a big call in the middle of summer. Usually I hate whatever I'm suffering from at the time, but the memories of cold really hurt.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bells Staff Member

Lou, you sound as though you live where I live lol...

God damn heat is driving me insane out here. Not to mention that my hair is now approaching an afro thanks to the humidity

. Curls and humid weather are not a good mix.

And like you I too grew up in a place where the temperature would vary dramatically, sometimes even in a matter of hours. It would sometimes get to the point where it'd be stinking hot when you walk into a supermarket and you walk out in 30 minutes and the temperature would have dropped so dramatically you'd start to shiver until the rush to the car and switch the aircon over onto heating. One of the reasons why I moved to where I am at the moment. However, at the moment I'd soooo like a cool change to come through and tame this heat and humidity

. The rain we've had for the past 2 days has only made it hotter and even more humid if that was even possible.

8. orthogonal Registered Senior Member

Bells wrote;
    I spend half my week up here working for a television station. Tonight another guy will arrive on a snowmobile. He gets to stay here for a few days while I ride that snowmobile 8km down the ski slope to the base of the mountain. Of course there's no way my car is going to start...

This computer is about the only thing working properly at the moment. The IBM Selectric typewriter that I type my station logs on shows no sign of life when I strike a key.
    OMG, that sounds so inviting. Thankyou Bells. Please think of me when you go for that swim.

Hey Dr. Lou,
    My thanks to you as well. I'm trying to envision what it would feel like to wake up nude in some place with palm trees. I'm trying to remember what it feels like to walk across warm sand and feel it squish between my toes.

Thanks for the warm thoughts,
    Michael

Last edited: Jan 16, 2004
  9. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Bells-
    Our posts were nearly exactly the same, i swear I didn't see yours untill after i posted as well.
    And yes the rain over the past few days HAS just made it more humid.
    Do you live in southeast queensland by any chance? Or worse like north queensland? I can't imagine how bad that would be in the summer.

Orthogonal-
    its pretty shit right now, You'd want out after a day or 2, but yeah it will be nice soon when it cools down just a little, will still be hot

10. Bells Staff Member

Lou
    Yes I do live in Southeast QLD

orthogonal
    I'm trying to remember what it's like to be or feel cold. I actually love the snow... adore it. Used to go skiing most years when I lived in Melbourne. I miss that now that I live in a place so far from the winter snow lol. And sleeping nakey with fan on and palm trees outside the windows is not what it's cracked up to be. It's hot and even though one sleeps nakey, one still wakes up sweating.

But I shall think of you as I dive into the surf tomorrow

11. orthogonal Registered Senior Member

These extremes remind me of the fable about a dim-witted guy standing with one leg in a bucket of ice water and the other in a bucket of boiling water; all the while thinking he'll be comfortable somewhere between his legs.

M

12. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Orthonogal...
    Why doesn't the TV station install a proper heating system?

13. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

hells yea orthogonal. It is fuckin freezin in Ny. It is like -25 deg. today

But the good thingis that i missed2daysof school

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Here's a image of where I live. It was 80 degrees F here yesterday as well as today. I'm in Key West Florida! Hope this sends some sun your way.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  15. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

you lucky son of a bitch.

Why are you taunting us people who live in cold places.

16. Arthur Registered Senior Member

I'm located in southwestern Ontario where the high for today is -18, without the inclusion of wind chill. I can remember when there was no snow on the ground whatsoever about a month ago. During that time I complained that it was too warm with no snow or ice to snowboard or play hockey, and now it's just too damn cold!

17. Bells Staff Member

18. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

i know...curses

19. orthogonal Registered Senior Member

Hey tablariddim,

The problem isn't so much with the heater but with the building. The big oil-fired heater hasn't turned off since I came on-duty, yet under these conditions it's little better than the proverbial "candle in the wind." An article that appeared in last winter's Yankee Magazine, described this hut as "the MIR spacecraft fallen to earth." This place really is a time-capsule from the 1950's.

However, everything here is going to be demolished next summer and replaced with a new and much larger high definition television station (HDTV). As you might imagine, I have mixed feelings about it. I won't miss having to chase porcupines out of the microwave room in the summer or shivering as I did last night. Still, nearly everything about this place has some significance to me. For example, I remember once crawling under this very desk during a particularly bad electrical storm. Another time, as I was sitting here one quiet evening with a book in-hand, a shrew ran up my pants leg. You should have seen me dance. Looking over at the kitchen table I remember the time when my coworker and friend ate a full bowl of breakfast cereal before he realized that the little rasins were actually mouse turds. Well, I'd better stop before I get too nostalgic. I'll be both happy and sad to see this place go.

Hey cosmic - that hammock on the beach looks so nice about now...

Michael

20. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Here, we had a couple of weeks of cold and a good dollop of rain. Presently, lows of 9c, highs of 18, sunny with clouds. Spring's already begun.

21. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

orthogonal.........You say "Hey cosmic - that hammock on the beach looks so nice about now..."

Why thanks, I like it too. It is a nice place to relax during the day or night.

22. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

the cold dark days of winter has just begun...MUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

23. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member