Missing Time?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by kazakhan, Jan 2, 2004.

1. kazakhan Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

Tuesday 30th December

20:04
    Leave my brothers house, heading home (about 13Km away). Have things to do on the way, so I check the time on my mobile hoping that the car clock is wrong, it isn't.
    20:07 (approx')
    Fill car with petrol.
    20:11
    Leave house I'm renovating after feeding the cats there. Mention to my son who is with me that we have nineteen minutes to make it home in time for a TV show(Plenty of time really). Light a smoke....
    20:21
    My son says ten minutes have passed. Without looking at the time I tell him that can't be right as we've only travelled about three kilometres. Both clocks confirm the time. I had only had 3 or 4 puffs on my smoke during this time which should have burnt out in almost ten minutes but it still looked just lit! Watched the clocks all the way home from this point which took another seven minutes in which we travelled at least three times the distance supposedly covered in the previous ten minutes to 20:21.

I timed the distance the following day which confirmed it should've only taken 3-4 minutes. Which means I lost about SIX minutes. Driving at an average speed of 70Km/hr over a distance of 3Km does not take 10 minutes. If it wasn't for the 2 clocks &/or my sons comment we probably would'nt have noticed. WTF could have happened???

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Edit: Fixed typo's

Last edited: Jan 2, 2004
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. 2inquisitive The Devil is in the details Registered Senior Member

Conjecture would be that you simply misread the clock when you
    thought it read 20:11. Seven minutes doesn't seem like enough time
    to leave your brother's house, stop to buy gas (pay inside or by
    credit card at pump?) drive to the house you were renovating, feed the cats (was the feed in your car or did you go into the house?)
    and be back on the road again. Could the clock have read 20:17
    instead of 20:11?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kazakhan Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

I did not misread the clock if I had any doubts whatsoever I wouldn't have bothered posting the thread. The point was I that I was "watching" the clock all the way home and if wasn't for my son I wouldn't have checked the time on the phone & would'nt have noticed anything.
    I was looking at the clock in my car after I had just left still about 50 metres from his house. The petrol station was empty, paid inside with cash no-one else around, correct change and it's about half way between where I left to where I stopped to feed the cats about 500 metres either way. I'd say I spent about 4 minutes getting petrol. Went into the house to feed cats, ring pull can, I was in & out in less than a minute.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. phlogistician Banned Banned

You should be watching the road when you drive, not the dashboard! Why would you check the time so fastidiously, I never do, seems to me like it's all a bit too, ... creative, and you've made this up.

Sorry, I'm not biting.

8. kazakhan Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

I'm serious. But after thinking about 2inquisitive's post & something that happened a few weeks ago. I really did see 20:11 but probably my son didn't & it really was 20:17 but maybe I just didn't want to see it. Although my experience of the time was still short? I believe I've somehow hypnotized myself to not see it?
    The incident a few weeks ago was I was looking for my keys but couldn't find them, as soon as my wife mentioned they maybe right in front of me there they appeared right in front of me.
    So probably this thread should move to parapsychology?

9. Ellimist "Nothing of consequence." Registered Senior Member

No. If you were watching the clock, you weren't watching the speedometer.

This accounts for the distance travelled. You were probably going slow.

Then, noticing this oddity, you projected it onto other things... the cigarrette and whatnot...

Simple psychology.

10. ScRaMbLe Chaos Inc. Registered Senior Member

One thing hallucenagenic (sp?) drugs has tought me is that you cannot always trust your own perception of the world... even when you're stone cold sober. You only see what your brain assumes to be the correct version of reality based on your own mindset and personal experiences. Perhaps you did see 20:11 even tho someone else would have read 20:17. Dont beat yourself up about it dude, it happens to everyone.

11. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Perhaps any number of misperceptions.

Well put ScRaMbLe.

*kowtow*

12. ScRaMbLe Chaos Inc. Registered Senior Member

he he he... Oh yeah! (cringes at the memories)

13. kazakhan Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

I was speeding at the point I thought I lost time. I'm sure of that I only go one speed, flat out

Yup, I reckon that about sums it up, thanks.

14. Xevious Truth Beyond Logic Registered Senior Member

Sometimes, when one is performing a task which is both easy and challenging at the same time, you tend to "zone".

I've had that experience several times as a Bassoon player, the most notable was a concert playing Handel's "Messiah". About 30 minutes into the 3 hour program, I started feeling very detached. I was playing, but it wasn't touching my concious mind... as if the music was flowing off the page through my eyes and the sound of the rest of the orchestra was going through my ears, and my lungs and fingers just "knew" what they were supposed to do. It was like I was sitting in the audience, having nothing to do with what was going on around me. Several audience memebers, including members of the local Symphony took note of it and told the conductor. I was told that I appeared to be asleep. A nearby cellist even waved her hand in front of my face and I never noticed. My eyes were open wide, and said not to blink. The conductor said that in at least two sections, the entire bass section including the cellos and string basses collapsed, but I just kept going, carrying the bass line alone for much of the concert. When the concert was over, I had no idea that hours had passed accept that I knew conciously they must have. It felt though, like no more than 45 minutes had been spent.

What happened was that my concious mind had disconnected from the task I was performing, and my unconcious mind along with my musical training took over. I mentioned I felt like I was in the audicence because conciously I was! My concious mind had nothing to do with my performance that day. I was listening, relax, enjoying the music.

Such things can happen on any task though from driving, to video games, even at work. This example is only more spectacular than others.

15. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Xevious has hit upon that. I could explain it in a similar methodology but using the understanding of how a computer currently works.

Some time ago, when computers were being built, they had to be able to use "Cycles" to keep time, but the problem was when the computer was processing data the cycles became slower. So the natural evolution for the machine was to place a clock co-processor (555) into the architecture.

I guess I'm trying to state that when you are busy doing something, your mind has to divert attention to other areas of the brain which cause spacial alterations through the distance that the pathway is altered to. This in turn means on one hand that a preportion of your consciousness seems disattached while the other aspect will be that the conscious mind perceives times movement at a different "Cycle" length to what it was use to.

16. kazakhan Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

I was playing a rugby league final, 2 minutes in to the game I got knocked out by a "head high" tackle. I don't remember the tackle, all I remember is re-gaining consciousness about 30 odd minutes later (just before half-time) and I was still playing. At first I didn't remember anything from the day, it was like being transported to the game straight from bed. I got my memory of before the tackle back later but the tackle & 30+ minutes is gone. How does your sub-conscious(?) carry on, no-one had no idea I was un-conscious(?).
    Or did the memory loss occur 30 minutes later?

17. ScRaMbLe Chaos Inc. Registered Senior Member

It happens to me driving occasionally. I have something really important on my mind and I'm caught up thinking about that. Then I take notice of my surroundings and I've gone from one side of town to the other and made it to my correct destination but I dont remember the journey at all. Pretty scary when you think about it coz anything could have happened when I wasn't paying attention, but I guess the subconscious knows what its doin and would have snapped me out of it if the need arose!

18. kazakhan Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

Yeah I've had that a bit too, but usually put those moments down to too much :m:

19. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

I suppose all my time would be missing if I weren't paying attention.