a 'typical' sighting...

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by chris beacham, Dec 15, 2003.

1. chris beacham Registered Senior Member

Last edited: Aug 21, 2004
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

you're right. I can't identify it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spookz Banned Banned

excellent backdrop
    perhaps it is possible to photoshop the ufo out and use it on the desktop??

thoughts?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ScRaMbLe Chaos Inc. Registered Senior Member

The object appears to have moved on a basically horizontal axis across the three pictures, if not slightly downwards. Yet the jetstream/ motion blur appears to indicate the object is moving diagonally upwards. Explain?

8. MRC_Hans Skeptic Registered Senior Member

Contrail. An almost non-persisting contrail. It appears to fly in a straight line, with constant altitude, in keeping with the expected behaviour of a jet-liner. You will have seen it as a lit object even before the sun came up, because at 30,000ft, it will see the sun rise much earlier than you do at ground-level.

You are unlikely to hear any sound, again because of the altitude.

Hans

9. phlogistician Banned Banned

Er, that's called perspective.

10. ScRaMbLe Chaos Inc. Registered Senior Member

Ay?

11. phlogistician Banned Banned

Perspective. It's so simple, I'm surpised you need it explaining, but here goes.

The world is in three dimensions, right, and this plane is flying quite high, and is a fair way off.

Imagine, it is flying straight and level. It's flight path, and that of any other aircraft also flying straight and level on the same heading, although maybe at a different altitude, and different position, all would appear to point back to the same point, called the 'vanishing point', and contrails would appear to point this way too.

From where you observe, your 'perspective', the vanishing point is on the horizon. Things above you appear to trace down to it, things below you would appear to trace upward to it.

This is simply because things appear smaller the further away they are, so if this plane started out at 30,000ft a hundred miles away, 30,000ft at that distance looks smaller than 30,000ft up close. Draw a line between where it was, and where it is now, and the plane (and it's contrail) draw the line that we see, that appears to be rising. Same goes for horizontal distances too.

Here are some basic illustrations;

http://mathforum.org/sum95/math_and/perspective/perspect.html

12. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

You guys can't at least entertain the guy?

I mean, you can't be sure it's a plane right?

That makes it a UFO damnit.

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

You mean it is a UFO with a flight behaviour that is impossible with human technology!

14. phlogistician Banned Banned

Entertain the guy? Sorry, no, I find debunking far more entertaining.

Especially when there is no supporting evidence offered with the photos of the 'sighting'.

For starters, why did the object arouse suspicion? What did it it do that an aircraft doesn't?

15. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

it abducted my mother and took out her uterus.

16. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Damn straight! You see it's not that it was moving fast, it's that it was moving SLOWER than human technology allows. Incredible.

17. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

The gaul of some people to question such obviously convincingly mind-bending photographic evidence. You just don't want to believe man, you're locked into the dogma of the pardigm!

18. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

exactly! it should have fallen out of the sky lick a brick...a heavy brick.

I think it is safe to say that this particular UFO used an as yet unindentified source of anti-gravity propulsion system. But to say which of these anti-gravity propulsion systems it used exactly would be pure speculation, and I would not dare to go that far. I am a serious scientist after all.

19. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

I'm sorry to hear about your mom's uterus.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Maybe they'll put it back and she can birth alien monkeys.

You think they'd be spurious?

20. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I think it might be unethical, but maybe aliens have different ethics.

Is there a thread on this important topic somewhere or a website? (ethical values of aliens)

21. phlogistician Banned Banned

Anyway, the mysterious glowing orb moves from right to left across the picture, and grows considerably in size, so I don't understand why Scramble thinks it looks like it's going downwards, .....!

22. ScRaMbLe Chaos Inc. Registered Senior Member

Ph - Is your left the same as my left? It STARTS left and moves right. I dont think the craft is getting bigger, just increased x zoom as the diameter of the sun is bigger also!. In the first photo (assuming top photo is first in series, middle second etc) the "craft" is higher in the sky than in the second photo, the second higher than the third. This indicates it is moving in a downwards trajectory or further away (your vanishing point), however, the contrails appear downwards diagonally indicating an upwards movement of the craft. I guess, depending on the distance from the observer, your explanation could account for this. What I was alluding to was that perhaps the "craft" had been cut and pasted into the picture, but looking back I think that was just the :m: talking

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

In summary my sober opinion is that it is a jetliner flying upwards and away from observer left to right and the curve of the earth makes it look like its getting lower. Sorry for the confusion!

23. phlogistician Banned Banned

'mysterious glowing orb', moving from RIGHT to LEFT would be, ......

THE SUN.

Is irony pointless?