imagination

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by invisibleone, Nov 27, 2003.

1. invisibleone Registered Senior Member

Does anyone remember when they were little and experienced events that you were told were not real, but they felt real to you? Parents tell kids "it's all in your imagination" and kids start to believe them, and pretty soon we all grow up and are led to believe that the only reality is the physical one. This could be brazen, but I'm gonna say it anyways. I think our reality is built upon imagination to a great extent. . if not all of it. We shut it out and generally often consider anyone with an overactive imagination to be an eccentric or 'mentally ill' in many cases. I say most people have it wrong. Imagination is our wings. . .and our world is created around it. But before you say anything about this. . . I urge you to take a look around . . look at all of the inventions around you . . .absorb all the ideas that surround you. . .all the music, and a lot of the art. . .and ask yourself where does it come from? Cheers!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Walker Hard Work! Registered Senior Member

Or perhaps as children we are closer to a collective unconcious that we gradually lose as we learn more about our world and gravitate toward individuality?

Something ELSE to think about.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. invisibleone Registered Senior Member

i wouldn't disagree with that either.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SpyMoose Secret double agent deer Registered Senior Member

Maybe I'm just mixed up but I've alwayse noticed children had a rather keen ability to tell reality from immitation. What they make up in thier immagination and what is actualy happening seem to be pretty distinct to them. I notice fewer adults with this ability.

8. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

I've noticed that too, but I guess it's individually.

I remember when I was a child and we talked about various things, everything we said was meaningful, we sort of "spoke our minds" and when one of us talked the other knew exactly what he meant cause we all felt the same way, there were never any misunderstandings. Then a friend of mine said "there is no meaning with anything" and everyone seemed to agree except me, and I said to them "hey, I think you took the wrong way, there is meaning to it all!" but no one agreed with me, they seemed to have closed that option and after that everything changed, we didn't understand eachother in the same way as we did before, misunderstandings could arise pretty easy. Everything they said after that was more or less meaningless we didn't feel the same connection after that.

What I think happens is that we notice a hole in our idea of meaning, a hole of meaninglessness, and if we don't fill that hole then we feel meaningless (and trust me, that isn't a pleasant feeling), the quick and easy way of filling that hole is to accept it. "There is no meaning" cause when you accept it you don't have to go back and try to fill it with meaning so you won't have to feel that meaningless again. The experiance that we have of meaningless as adults are less painful than the feeling that we experiance as children, not because we have grown up, but because we have learned to accept it (more or less).

However, I feel that accepting meaninglessness isn't the right way, cause even if the hole is very big, and it takes alot of time to find the meanings to cover the hole, it's worth it. Cause as I see it, in each step we have a limited number of ways to get to the truth, so we can either choose to look at the truth with meaning, or the meaningless truth. There's no way to tell beforehand which one is the correct truth (cause there can only be one truth), but I trust the truth with meaning to be the correct one and one of the meanings of life may be to find the meanings to cover the hole. It wouldn't surprise me if the meaning of life was to find the meaning of life

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Well, that happened to me once. I was about 3-4, we were passing a corner, and I told my mom that Ive seen this before (no more detail on what I've seen). My mom said it was my imagination. That was the first time I saw an ESP dream and it came true. I've had plenty of them ever since.

On imagination and dreams.... In a book on Witchcraft I read that life is a dream, and that is a strong wizard/witch who keeps this in mind most clearly for the longest time. Consequently, it may be assumed from this that realization of all wishes is possible, since we have that much control in our dreams, especially if they are lucid. I don't think this idea can be placed under witchcraft, it was more of a personal philosophy of the author; however, it is very, very close to truth, if not truth itself.

10. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

You have control over your own perception; if you want to see something, you can make yourself see it, if you want to hear something you can make yourself hear it. Is that reality? It's hard to tell.

Some people believe that their perception is all that is real, and that by changing it they change the world... others believe that they perceive the real world imperfectly... certainly there are reasons to think that if there is a real world, then our perception is not accurate.

So what do we choose to believe? That's really a personal decision.

11. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

that's been my observation as well, kids seem much more grounded in reality than most adults in my opinion. I notice this especially in their art, I'm constantly amazed by their inate understanding of form and colour. It seems odd to me that I knew this stuff as a kid but as an adult I had to train and study just to get back to that level. When (and why) do we forget this stuff?

sorry if i wandered a bit off topic, its just that our understanding of things as children is so profound yet we seem to forget and spend the rest of our lives learning just to see with that kind of clarity again. How we lose that (the almost instictual understanding of whats important or 'true') to begin with has always been a mystery to me.

Whenever I have a creative crisis I run it past a niece or nefew and they give me the answer as easily as flicking a light switch, as if it's obvious (and it usually is). The ease with which they access the answer to my 'artistic blocks' really amazes me.

12. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

When I was between 4-5 there was a power outage. I looked at the big TV in my house and I saw what looked like two ferret-sized white glowing tadpoles that were perfectly straight and crossed like an 'X' (with their heads at the top of the 'X'). It was
    clear as day. My dad claimed that he didn't see anything yet
    I stared at the weird glowing thing for a few minutes and then
    got bored. Its entirely possible that I was seeing some sort of
    picture tube component and my dad was just fucking with me.

I also remember that when I was little I was very susceptible
    to hypnogogic hallucinations. Perhaps this is what makes up
    the bulk of the weird stuff that kids see.

13. Canute Registered Senior Member

“The concepts of imagination and consciousness have, very arguably, been inextricably intertwined at least since Aristotle initiated the systematic study of human cognition (Thomas, 1998). To imagine something is ipso facto to be conscious of it (even if the the wellsprings of our imaginative creativity are in the unconscious), and many have held that our conscious thinking consists largely or entirely in a succession of mental images, the products of imagination (see, e.g., Damasio, 1994- or, come to that, see Aristotle, or Hume, or almost any pre-twentieth century cognitive theorist).

A venerable tradition also regards perceptual experiences, the main focus of most recent work on consciousness, as products of the imagination, whose primary function is to integrate sensory inputs and render them meaningful (Thomas, 1998; 1999). As Coleridge (1817) famously put it, primary imagination is ‘ the living power and prime agent of all human perception’. A better undertsanding of imagination is likely to deepen insight into the nature of consciousness (and, probably, vice-versa) “ Nigel Thomas ‘Imagining minds’ Journal of Consciousness Studies Vol 10 2004 No 11 p79)

14. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

A thousand years ago it was discovered for the first time that mankinds imagination was reflective in nature. In that it consisted of a collective or shared imagination and a more personal intellectual imagination. In those days man refered to this collective imagination as Gods imagination but have since learned that it was merely just a universal collective imagination that we all shared.

The collective imagination was the reality around them and they used their personal imagination to manipulate and try to understand the collective or "God" imagination.

Now as it is the year 3004 we on the planet zindy have much respect for our God like brothers called the human race.

15. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

heh, almost fell off my seat there.

16. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

zindy is spelled with an 'x'.

17. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Oh, I see, Zindex.....hmmm sounds like the imaginary name of a brand of toilet tissue.

18. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

it's Xindy.

*sigh* and you call your self an alien. Man, the Xindian school system has really gone to hell.

19. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Excuse me Mr or Mrs or Miss Buffys but I have bad news. The Xindians our half brothers failed to emerge from their nuclear phase successfully and their planet is just a charred cinder softly glowing green in the darkness of the Galaxy blupont. ( It happened sometime tomorrow and the "time paradox" corrected itself for the event)

And as you said their education system let them down badly.....

We did save a few of them and one of them would like to say a few words.

"Hi mom!"

Btw it is not me that is the alien. it is you, you godlike human alien you.

shheeesh ...calling your brother an alien......been watching to many "My friendly Martian" serials on TV me thinks.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2003
  20. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

Don't believe everything you see on intergalactic tv, I was just on Xindy this morning shopping for queblar day gifts. The only thing that blew up was the banapedlwimp harvest but it does that every year.

That's what you get for believing what you watch on XNN, slow news day, i guess they needed something that sounded dramatic.

21. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

hmmmmm.....me thinks possible IntraGalactic conspiracy. The A.L.T.O.P our CIA equivalent may be staging another of their imaginative conterconspiracy conspiracies.

Shhh...... they even moinitor the Intergalactic internet. Every word typed is collected and analysed.

Oops! Shit...there is someone at the door......oh....it's the A.L.T.O.P ...... t ......h......ey say that I am under arrest for invalid intragalactic gossiping and the minor charge of breaching what you call the prime directive.....boy am I in trouble.....imprisoned in a 2 dimensional zone for a possible half nanosecond of 1.5 dimensional time............ ...... ..... .. ...... ....... ... . . ....... / ..... ....
    ( means Help!!! I don't want to be immortal)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2003
  22. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I know that it may appear that Buffys and I are having a little fun but I guess that is the point of it.

Imagination can and does provide so much pleasure.

The only restriction on imagination That I can think of is the restriction of Value or worthwhileness.

The last few posts have to me been worth while because it offered an escape in to imaginative humour (To me and Buffys any way).

Also the imagination and it's productions are very real even if it is just to go silly and create an intragalactic counterconspiracy conspiracy, discovered whilst gossiping.

23. Canute Registered Senior Member

The purpose of the extract I posted earlier on imagination was to point out that there is nothing which we do not imagine. Without imagination the world reduces to a bunch of electro-chemical signals in the brain. I don't know much about the physiology of Xindians, but I imagine that they imagine that they're imagining it all in much the same way we imagine that we imagine that we imagine we are.