Do you believe in astrology?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by Avatar, Nov 15, 2003.

?

1. YES

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. NO

16 vote(s)
    76.2%
  3. NOT SURE

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

No I do not.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. candy Valued Senior Member

No. I am a believer in free will.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

has never an astrological profile of you been true? (I don't think of horoscopes here)

p.s. just a survey, I'm holding my oppinion back in this thread

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

"believing" in free will is like believing in some god, it is 100% subjective
    do you know there is free will?

9. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Half.
    Sometimes when I read the astrologic-foretelling, I found that some are correct, while some other are out of the picture.......

10. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

Ever heard of the Forer effect?

11. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

No, and one of the blokes at work likes to read them so he can laugh at how innacurate horroscopes etc are.

12. zira Registered Senior Member

Absolutely not

I do absolutely not believe in astrology, because I consider the magnetic and gravitational fields of our fellow planets, as being far to distant to have an impact on human body.

Only the moon is nearer and could influence
    - the human body
    - the earth (earthquakes?)

The moon DOES influence the sea.

13. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

No.

Astrology uses the positions of visible bodies in the sky to make predictions. What about the non-visible ones that are closer? i.e. astroids and such.

That would seem to invalidate the whole idea.

It's amazing how many people of power in history have employed astrologers, however. Presidents, prime ministers, monarchs, etc.

14. Xevious Truth Beyond Logic Registered Senior Member

I believe in many things, but not this time.

15. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

The Forer Effect: How well does this describe you?

You have a need for other people to like and admire you, and yet you tend to be critical of yourself. While you have some personality weaknesses you are generally able to compensate for them. You have considerable unused capacity that you have not turned to your advantage. Disciplined and self-controlled on the outside, you tend to be worrisome and insecure on the inside. At times you have serious doubts as to whether you have made the right decision or done the right thing. You prefer a certain amount of change and variety and become dissatisfied when hemmed in by restrictions and limitations. You also pride yourself as an independent thinker; and do not accept others' statements without satisfactory proof. But you have found it unwise to be too frank in revealing yourself to others. At times you are extroverted, affable, and sociable, while at other times you are introverted, wary, and reserved. Some of your aspirations tend to be rather unrealistic.

(From <a href="http://skepdic.com/forer.html">The Skeptic's Dictionary</a>.)

Most people will feel that this describes them fairly well, with of course a few exceptions where they feel that it is inaccurate. This is because it uses vague terms and two-sided descriptions... "At times X, while at other times not X" is always going to be true for almost everyone.

Often newspaper horoscopes use similarly vague terms, by saying "you will meet an important person today", or "hold off on that purchase you were going to make". We meet people all the time, and buy things all the time as well, and most people will feel that "an important person" is whoever they run into, or that "that purchase" could refer to a pair of shoes, or a new house, or whatever they're thinking about.

This, in the main, is why I do not believe in astrology. It tends to be rather vague and complimentary ("Scorpios have sharp eyes"... I love that one) and not supply any information except that you should keep doing what you're doing, or maybe not if you don't think so.

Astrology is for making people feel better...

16. phlogistician Banned Banned

I agree, or the black hole at the centre of our galaxy holding the whole thing together, or gravity waves from collapsing stars, .... the latter should afect everybodies moods, surely?

Of course, there is a simple reason why Astrology is hokey. It is that it pre-exists the discovery of several planets, but has adapted to accomodate them. What method was adopted for assigning attributes to the new additions? Was there a survey? Some statistical correlation found?

Nope, it's all just groundless claims.

17. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

It also has been used for thousands of years... and fails to take the precession of the earth during that time into account.

18. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

From what Ive read, one can use astrology to look into his past lives, but from my point of view the results do not look reallistic. Astrology, more often than not, tells people what they want to hear.

Ask away, Ill tell you about the Tarot cards and other things of the sort. Why would people ever want to look into astrology if they already know all of the answers to all questions they will ever ask, especially about themselves?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2003
  19. spookz Banned Banned

20. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

So ya already know...

I always wondered what Stalin's horoscope was the day the Germans invaded Russia.

"Try not to be flustered by problems at home. There will be some difficulties but you will eventually win through. You may meet several people today."

21. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

referring to link posted by spook

The link to the chart, first page, first post, doesn't work.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. spookz Banned Banned

just as well darling

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

*it does work

23. Xevious Truth Beyond Logic Registered Senior Member

One might note that for all the Paranormal phenatics, true believers, and UFO obsessed types here, few people no matter what they believe in other topics believe in Astrology. I guess it goes to show you even the paranormal believers have standards.