Prophecies

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Canute, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Canute Registered Senior Member

I'm not one for believing in prophecies usually but this is impressive.

“When the iron bird flies, and horses run on wheels, the Tibetan people will be scattered like ants across the world, and the Dharma will come to the land of the red faced people”

(Padma Sambhava, eighth-century Indian guru and founder of the first Tibetan monastry)

How one earth did he come to write that? It must have been gibberish in eighth-century terms.

Any thoughts? Or anyone got any more?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. VitalOne Banned Banned

Not trying to be stupid, but what does it mean? I mean I understand everything up until the red faced people.

Also, people gain knowledge and become smarter when they meditate, it's been proven. The knowledge could've come from anyone's or anyones' mind if the theory is correct that all conscious minds are connected...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Yes Registered Senior Member

Facinating prediction, but what ( sorry for my ignorance on the subject) is Dharma and who are the red faced people?
    First I thought of native americans, but they aren't really red, they are brown, so maybe he was refering to people with fair complexion, whos faces get very red from both sun and cold.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Canute Registered Senior Member

I don't know any more than you do but I take iron birds to be planes and horses on wheels to be cars and trains etc. Red faced people (from an asian perspective) would be Europeans/Americans (white folk) and the scattering would be due to the Chinese invasion of Tibet and persecution of Buddhists.

This may not be right but it's all a hell of a coincidence. What could someone be doing writing about iron birds and horseless carriages in the eighth century?

8. i would ask what is the authority of the origin of the prophecy. anyone who was online post-9/11 remembers the supposed nostradamus prophecy, which of course was fake.

by the way. dharma is the teaching of the buddha. buddhism is dharma. to be a buddhist is to take refuge in the dharma. put simply, it is the teaching of the 4 noble truths, the noble 8-fold path, and other such basic, fundamental precepts to buddhism.

:m: peace :m:

9. Canute Registered Senior Member

Yes, I should have said. I got it second hand from Lama Suryadas ‘Awakening the Budha Within’.

10. no kidding? i own that book.. which page? i'd like to check it out.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

:m: peace :m:

11. Canute Registered Senior Member

Sorry, don't know. I borrowed it and it's gone back. I kept a note of the words but not the page number. It stood out because it's the first time I've heard of Buddhists making prophecies. It's definitely in there. (I've an idea it could be a chapter heading because I don't remember him discussing it in the text).

12. spookz Banned Banned

When the iron bird flies, the red-robed people of the East who have lost their land will appear, and the two brothers from across the great ocean will be reunited.

- from the Book of Hopi

http://www.shiftjournal.com/bits/hopi.html

13. Ozymandias Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

Two brothers from across the sea? Dangit, this post is waay too cryptic for me...

Very interesting link, though, spookz...

14. Silent Beauty Registered Member

Thats VERY cool. O_O

Let me get a hand in interpretating it like every proper individual trying to decipher a code...

Iron bird= something that flies obviously made of iron.

ehhhhh. waitaminute....this has already been past.
    It has been done and over with.

I just really love these parables though.

15. VitalOne Banned Banned

Compare this

With this

Why are they similar? How can two seemingly different cultures from opposite sides of earth predict similar things?

If you went straight through the Hopi Reservation to the other side of the world, you would come out in Tibet (and vice-versa). The Tibetan word for sun is the Hopi word for moon, and the Hopi word for sun is the Tibetan word for moon. Is this a coincidence?
    Or do these cultures come from the same thing?

If I understand correctly, these two prophecies are prophecizing each other. The Tibetan prophecy says that in the age of airplanes and cars, The Tibetan people will be scattered all around the world in small numbers and the Dharma come to the land of the Native Americans (red faced people).

The Hopi prophecy says that in the age of airplanes, the native american-looking (red-robed) of Asia (the east) who have lost their land will reunite with their brothers.

When the Dharma visited the Hopi people , the Hopi's first words were "Welcome Home". How did this culture clash happen? Though the Hopi and Navoja people are geographically close, their cultures are strikingly different. Yet, the Hopi and Tibetan cultures seem to have a striking similarity, not only in prophecies, but also in language. Did the Native Americans come from the east or vice-versa?

Can anyone explain this? This is fascinating..

16. no kidding! too many coincidences for comfort.

:m: that which can be explored, should be explored :m:

17. i do take issue with this.. i assume by what you say, you mean basically drilling a hole directly through the sphere of the earth to the geographically opposite side of the planet.. hopi sacred grounds are in arizona, from what i saw. when i dug this hole, i ended up in the middle of the ocean, near antarctica, south of mauritius (island off the east coast of africa).

digging a hole through the earth from tibet landed me deep in the south pacific, 2000km west of chile.

although, it really means nothing in relation to the story / prophecy itself.

18. Canute Registered Senior Member

That's very interesting. It seems like an unlikely one

What does this mean exactly? Are you talking about the first contact between the Hopi people and Buddhism?

Do you have a bit more info. about Hopi culture?

19. spookz Banned Banned

20. When the iron bird flies, and horses run on wheels, the Tibetan people will be scattered like ants across the World, and the Dharma will come to the land of the red-faced people.

-- Padma Sambhava, Eighth-Century Indian Guru and Founder of the First Tibetan Monastery

Awakening the Buddha Within, p. 23

it goes on to say that the tibetan people consider him to be the second buddha, and fully enlightened.

:m: baloney detection kit :m:

21. VitalOne Banned Banned

When the Dharma visited the Hopi people, the Hopi peoples' first words were "Welcome Home". I don't have much information about the Hopi culture but it seems that they originated from Southeast asia.

22. Walker Hard Work! Registered Senior Member

Would anyone like to recommend to me a good introduction to Buddhism? As far as literature, etc.

Thanks.

23. countless resources are available in the ebook section at buddhanet.net. as far as actual books, the art of happiness by the dalai lama is great.. well anything by the dalai lama for that matter. lama surya das does a good job of translating the meanings into plain english, and one of my favourite books is the quantum and the lotus by matthieu ricard, which is a dialogue between a man who is currently an astrophysicist, and was born buddhist, and a man who obtained his doctorate in i think bio-chemistry then went on to become a buddhist monk.