Ark of the Covenant

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Medicine*Woman, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

Literally, who, where, what was the Ark of the Covenant? What happened to it? Where do you think it is now? Allegorically, what does it mean to you? Some say it's in Axum, Ethiopia. Others say France. Do the town names "Carcasonne," "Arques," "Arcadia," mean anything to you? Let's discuss.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Laser Eyes Registered Senior Member

The ark of the covenant was constructed at God's direction and in accordance with his specific design: Exodus 25:10 The ark served as the place where Moses could speak to God: Exodus 25:22; Numbers 7:89 The ark also served as the resting place for the stone tablets on which God wrote the10 commandments. The 10 commandments were part of the covenant between God and the nation of Israel. Indeed the 10 commandments were referred to as "the tablets of the covenant" (Deuteronomy 9:9). That is why the ark in which the tablets were kept was called "the ark of the covenant" (Joshua 3:3; Hebrews 9:4).

Thoughout the Old Testament history of the nation of Israel the ark was associated with God's presence. When Israel moved camp during their time in the wilderness they carried the ark before them and God's cloud appeared over them: Numbers 10:33-34 When the priests carrying the ark stepped into the Jordan River it dried up and the Israelites were able to cross: Joshua 3:13-17

Only the High Priest was permitted to look upon the ark on pain of death: Numbers 4:19-20 Indeed God killed Uzzah for reaching out to prevent the ark from falling off a wagon: 2 Samuel 6:2-7 God also killed a large number of Israelites for looking on the ark after it had been returned from the Philistines: 1 Samuel 6:19

Eventually the ark was placed in the temple in Jerusalem built by Solomon: 1 Kings 8:4-9

Where the ark is today is anyone's guess. It's construction of gold meant that it would not perish easily. It's probably buried somewhere and will never be found But it doesn't really matter where the ark is now. Today the ark has no relevance. Jeremiah prophesied that one day the ark of the covenant would be no more, it would not be spoken of, nor remembered, nor missed: Jeremiah 3:16-17 The covenant that God made with the nation of Israel was terminated at Pentecost, in the year 33. The Mosaic covenant has been replaced by a new covenant mediated by Jesus Christ on our behalf.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. foxcorp Registered Member

LOL

Usually, i dont really post in sciforums, i rather read most of the intelligent and interesting posts that the community here provides; but Medicine Woman, all your posts are only new age crap, there's no other way to describe it. At first they were funny to read but not anymore. Why do you keep humilliating yourself with that new age crap?

Anyway, have a nice day and congrats to most of sciforums members.

8. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Um ... source?

I'd love to read the paper that talks about this. Archaeologists have discovered what looks like electrical battery remains in South America, and I've heard the same of Egypt, though I've never seen an Egyptian battery. (I've seen photos of the SA battery.)

But in my years of casually studying theology, history, and such, the idea of a battery on the Ark defies me. Where ever did you pick this one up?

9. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

Re: LOL

Yet, I don't read New Age crap. What I write, unless I cut-and-paste, is my own and not attributed to anything New Age I've read.

10. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

Re: Um ... source?

For a quick reference: Lost Secrets of the Sacred Ark, Laurence Gardner, HarperCollins Publishers Ltd., Great Britain, 2003, pps: 23, 29, 30-31, 33, 37-38, 60-62, 65, 67-75, 76-77, 80-82, 94-95, 106, 110, 127-129, 131-134, 135-136, 137-140, 146-156, 174, 181, 197, 198, 213, 220-221, 229, 240, 255, 257, 259, 260-271.

Give me a minute to look up some quotes, and I'll get back to you.

11. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

Re: Um ... source?

Page 84: The Golden Fleece - "...Moses was considered to have been a primary guardian (an argus) of the hermetic wisdom, which came out of Egypt. He was recorded as a student of Hermes in the Turba Philosophorum (Assembly of the Philosophers) - a 12th-century Latin work translated from earaly Hebrew and Arabic sources. The transmutation of gold was even called the Mosaico-hermetic Art." "The common interpretation of Exodus 32:20 is therefore misleading until one understands the physics of monatomic (single-atom) gold powder, achievable by the arc-light fire of the electrikus (electricity)."

Page 95: Elictrikus - "But this was no ordinary fire - it was the fire of the Ark-light: the "presence" of God, which crased and sparked, sending out spears and bolts of deadly lightning. The point of interest is that this lightning, along with the Sappir and all else of relevance, was associated with Mount Horeb before Bezaleel was said to have built the Ark of the Covenant - not as a result of his building it."

"When the Israelites first arrived at the mountain, the Lord was said to have descended in the fire of a furnace, and the mount quaked greatly (Exodus 19:18). Even before that, Moses had seen the mysterious burning bush and had been advised to remove his shoes (Exodus 3:1-5). If the golden Ark was directly associated with these phenomena, as appears to be the case, it becomes apparent that the Ark was already in situ at the mountain temple prior to the Israelite arrival. Indeed, as we shall discover, the Ark was necessary for producing the mfkzt powder of gold, and the workshop for this purpose had been operative at Mount Horeb from the reign of pharaoh Sneferu, more than 1,300 years before the time of Moses."

"The recognizable context that we are seeking for all this divine lightning and arcane fiery activity is undoubtedly electricity--the power of the electrikus. The parallel hypothesis is that Bezaleel did not build the Ark after all. Maybe he built the Tabernacle's altars and other accoutrements, but the Ark (whose story was written up by scribes many centuries after the event) could well have been at Horeb all along. If so, then the nature of the cherubim can be reconsidered in a wholly new light."

Page 97: St. Elmo's Fire - "Compared to the atmosphere, the earth is a good conductor, having the ability to discharge electricity with a flourish at its mountaintops. It is therefore not surprising that the gods of old were so often associated with mountains. Indeed, the Bible cites a good deal of early worship in "high places." It is also not surprising that in such an electrically charged environment Moses was advised to remove his shoes. If a person's body is not grounded directly to the earth it will acquire a charge according to the potential of the atmosphnere at its head. Dry leather soles would act as a resistance and inhibit the flow of charge fro the body."

Page 98: Ancient Batteries - "Electricity in its natural form was plainly well-known to the ancients, whatever theymght have called it. In fact, YHWH (breathalyzed wihout the subsequently vowels) might be as explanatory as any other audible description, and it was said that the priests could only utter the unspeakable name "under their breath." According to the Judaeo-Egyptian papyrus entitled Zeus Thunderer, King Adonai, Lord Iaooue, the non-vocalized breath pronounciation of YHWH was "iauooe" - rather like a whispered "he-ewe." What is more relevant, however, is that they somehow learned how to capture the power and glory of yhwh, enhance it, and use it to astonishing effect."

"One way or another, electricity was always perceived as the manifestation of a god associated with mountains, whether that god be Zeus, Yahweh, or some other. In his scholarly work, The Shining Ones, linguist and geologist Christian O'Brien relates the derivation and derivatives of the ancient word El, which defined a god or lofty one (as in El Elyon and El Shaddai), but which in all its variant forms denoted a bright or shining being. The terms electricity, electron, and electrikus all stem, therefore, from an original base concerning the "bright substance of God."

"In 1938, the German archeologist Wilhelm Koenig made the first thorough examination of a curious clay jar (one of a number),(lodged in the National Museum of Iraq, where it is still on display. Pale yellow in color, about 15 cms high and 7 cms wide at its top-end, the bulbous pot has been dated at around 2,240 years old and attributed to the Parthians. They ruled much of the Middle East at that time, when Ptolemy III was the pharaoh in Egypt. The jar's top opening housed a..."

Page 99: "...9-cm high copper cylinder, held in position by an asphalt plug, while running down through the center of the cylinder was an iron rod which projected just a little above the lead-covered stopper. The iron rod stopped short of the bottom end of the copper tube, which was sealed with a crimped copper disc overlaid with asphalt."

"It became evident that the jar was nothing less than a battery, requiring only an acidic liquid such as vinegar to make it active. Confirmation of the artifact as an electric cell was obtained and it abecame known as the Baghdad Battery. Then, following World War II, Willard M. Gray of the General Electric Laboraatory in Pittsfield, MA, constructed an exact replica of the device. With the addition of citric acid, two volts of electricity were obtained - a feat not achieved by this method (or so it had been thought) until the early 19th century. Consequently, as confirmed in the April 1957 issue of [I]Science Digest[I], the latter-day Count Alassandro Volta had not invented the "voltic-pile" battery in 1800; he had reinvented it."

Page 73: A Divine Essence - "Despite all this, it must be concluded that the topmost cherubim of the Ark of the Covenant were not mobile thrones of the gods. They are presented as functional extension of the golden lid, and there are no references anywhere to the Ark's ability to fly as such - only to levitate and move of its own accord." These cherubs cannot have been very alrge but, whateever their shape and size, their significance appears to have been concerned with the deadly force that was said to dwell between them, above the great slab of gold."

"They were, nevertheless, called [I]kerubs[I] and must therefore have some connection with the phenomena of Ezekiel, Isaiah, Elijah and Daniel. In this regard, the Ark and the soaring thrones were spectacular power devices, which blazed fire and light of a kind that was clarly no ordinary flame. They were equally awesome in their destructive abilities, which again were not the norm during that period. If the word [I]kerub[I] denoted a driving source, then a comparative word today might be "engine" (from [I]ingeny[I]: a clever contrivance), equally appicable to powering a stationary machine or traveling aircraft."

"In addition to the [I]Urim[I] and [I]Thummim[I] becoming active in the presence of the Ark, the Bible also explains that the power of the Ark was..."

Page 74: "...deadly. Two of Aaron's sons, Nadab and Abihu, were killed by the fire which leapt from the Ark (Leviticus 10:1-2), given in the Talmud as bolts "as thin as threads. And when Uzzah the carter attempted to stay the Ark when its conveyance swayed, he was struck dead the moment he touched it (1 Chronicles 12:10-11)."
    ---------
    M*W: Here's just a few quotes from the book. I apologize in advance for any typographical errors as I retyped it quickly.[/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I]

12. evolove Registered Senior Member

Ages ago I read on the net about a university in America that remanurfatured the Ark based on the plans in the bible, the site said that it emited some kind of electric force that they attributed to the particular arangements of the metals ect. they said that is was very strong, so much so that they had to dismantle it. I did look for it sometime ago, but I couldn't find anything the second time, give it a go if you like, anybody that finds anything; would you be kind enough to post it here. Sorry I can't be more preciece in any of it, there is a documentry that you might be able to find somewhere, I think it was English, most likely the BBC, all the best.

13. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

I came across Physicist Theodore Maiman's first ruby laser of Hughes Aircraft Research in Malibu, CA. Does this ring a bell? I'm searching further. I have read about the American invention recently.

14. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

I found another. British Chemist, Sir Humphrey Davy, in 1822 produced an arc-light that supplied electricity between two carbon poles exactly like the description of the Ark of the Covenant.

Then there was his assistant, Michael Faraday, who conducted his own study of the arc-light that led him to the field of gaseous tubes producing a current.

Pieter van Musschenbroek, Professor of Physica at Leiden University in Holland (1745) invented the capacitor (condensor) for storing an ddistributing the charge.

15. Halcyon Guest

Medicine woman:

The reference to the Urim and Thummin in your quotes is interesting. Is the book you're refering to a product of mormon research, and if not, what is the significance of the urim and thummin mentioned extraneously to mormon literature?

16. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

No, the book is not Mormon. I'll look that up for you. I seem to recall a reference to the Mormons, however.

In case you didn't get the citation: Lost Secrets of the Sacred Ark, by Sir Laurence Gardner, HarperCollins Publishers Ltd, London, 2003, pps. 28-33, 36-41, 71-73, 94, 108, 109.

Page 30: Light and Perfection: Mystery of the Jewels - "And thou shalt put in the breastplate of judgment the URIM and the THUMMIM: and they shall be upon Aaron's heart, when he goeth before the Lord." "These words U'RIM and THUM'MIM mean Light and Perfection. Hence, the SCHAMIR ("lightning stone") and SCHETHIYA ("stone of perfection") of the Talmud are synonymous with the URIM and THUMMIMM of Exodus."

"At not time in the Old Testament is there any question concerning the nature of the URIM and THUMMIN. Neither their shape, size, color, nor weight is discussed. They are saimply accepted as something with which Moses was familiar. What we have here, nevertheless, are two magical stones. One is a radiating jewel, which emits a charge of lightning that custs through stone, while the other has the power of levitation."

Page 31: The Curious Spiral - "Numbers 27:21 tells that the URIM was used by the High Priest when he sought council with the Lord, and this divine wisdom was obtained from between the golden cherubim which surmounted the Ark of the Covenant (Exodus 25:22). Then Judges 20:27-28 explains that standing before the Ark was indeed considered to be standing before God. Since the URIM and THUMMIM had to be present for the Ark to convey the word of God, some have suggested that they were like dice or oracular lots. But the key attribute of the URIM, when in the presence of the Ark, was its radiating light, and the Bible says that "God is Light." In accordance with this precept, therefore, the Ark-light of the URIM was a perceived manifestation of God."

"What then was this URIM-SCHAMIR that was so fundamental to summoning the power of the Ark? Thus far we ahve ascertained that it was a prescious stone: a crystal gem with the ability, under certain conditions, to emit a spear of light that could cut through stone with precision."

"Whether related to the URIM-SCHAMIR or other sources of divine judgment, the graphic symbol for wisdom remained constant from the earliest times in Mesopotamia (now Iraq). It was the emblem of the Sumerian god Enki, Lord of the Sacred Eye - a serpent spiraling around a central rod or stem. In Egypt, the White Brotherhood of Karnak were priestly craftsmen of the Therapeutate, whose work with..."

Page 32: "...the MFKZT also involved them with healing, so that wisdom and healing became synonymous and the same serpentine emblem was adopted." (NOTE THIS, JENYAR, THIS ONE'S FOR YOU!)

Page 33: "The High Priest's breastplate (in the pouch of which the URIM and THUMMIN were ceremonially placed) is described in Exodus 28:17-20 as being ornamented with 12 precious stones. They are given as sardius (carnelian), topaz, carbuncle (garnet), emerald, sapphire, diamond, ligure (amber), agate, amethyst, beryl, onyx, and jasper. Noticeably missing from this list is ruby, but both Job 28:18 and Proverbs 8:11 compare wisdom with rubies."

Page 36: The Remarkable Ruby - "So, what did the world's supposedly first ruby laser, a litle over 40 years ago, look like? It looked precisely like a serpent coiled areound a central stem - just as in the emblems of Enki and Asklepios. Not surprisingly, lasers were soon adapted for use in the world of medicine, taking over from scalpels in the field of omicrosurgery. If the URIM-SCHAMIR were indeed a cylindrical ruby, with a suitable helicoidal crystal sleeve to hand, then all it would have needed to become operative was a connective power supply."

Page 39: The Ring of the Testimony - "Whereas the URIM (the male stone) was perceived as a godly manifestation, the female THUMMMIM represented the Queen of the Heavens, whom the Canaanites called Anath."

"The "testimony" which Moses brought down from the mountain and lodged in the Ark (Exodus 40:20) was very likely the noble crystal coil in which the URIM-SCHAMIR was inserted - the very jewel for which Solomon built the Temple of Jerusalem as a sacred abode. Moses had acquired it from the El Shaddai (Lord of the Mountain), and in this regard the Qabalistic doctrine that the tablet was a SAPPIR which Moses held in the palm of his hand makes a good deal more sense. What he had was the other part of hte light-spear equation - the spiraling SCHETHIYA, or, as it was known to the high priests Aaron and Eleazar, the THUMMIM."

"Since the URIM and THUMMIN (as separately identified in the Bible) were mutually supportive devices, it is not entirely through misapplication that the Morman tradition often portrays them as a single object: the URIM-THUMMIN. They constituted the male and female, and when brought together at the Ark they did indeed manifest their unified Light and Perfection. Alone, however, the THUMMIN-SCHETHIYA was a uniquely empowered substance with levitational attributes, just as described in the Qabalistic doctrine."

Page 41: A New Dynasty - " The treasures of the House of Gold (the URIM-SCHAMIR adn the THUMMIM-SCHETHIYA) were placed in the care of Moses and the new Israelite priests, who were charged in Sinai to establish a reigning dynasty in the Promised Land. In time, these kings (in descent from the 18th dynasty of Egypt) were to become the Royal House of Judah - the line of David, Solomon, and, eventually, Jesus. First, however, the land of Canaan (later Palestine) had to be entered, traversed, and conquered before the new monarachy could be established in Jerusalem."

Page 73: A Divine Essence - "In addition to the URIM and THUMMIN becoming active in the presence of the Ark, the Bible also explains that the power of the Ark was deadly. Two of Aaron's sons, Nadab and Abihu, were killed by the fire which leapt from the Ark (Leviticus 10:1-2), given in the Talmud as bolts "as think as threads."

Page 75: "As a protective enclosure, the Arc of Testimony was considered to embody the very essence of light and energy; it was a manifestation of the supreme power of God. But since it was a manufactured device, from where did this electrical essence derive? A clue is immediately found in the original use of the Hebrew word ARON which, as we have seen (like ARCA), defined a box. However, it was more specifically a collecting-box, and the older root meaning of ARON was the verb "to gather" or "gathering." The power was gathered and stored by the box itself, while the most fearful discharge (when the URIM and THUMMIN were present) was regarded as an ultimate judgment. It was perceived as the Light and Perfection - a divine oracular inspiratino of the great Archon (an ancient Greek word meaning "bow" or "arc").

Page 94: ELECTRIKUS - "At various stages of the Old Testament (from the moment of his direct association with Mount Horeb and the Ark) God is portrayed as sending out arrows of lightning. He was said to exist between the cherubim and ws at his most fiercely judgmental when the penetrative lightning stone of the URIM-SCHAMIR was present. In mystic and masonic lore, God has been called the Archon, the Architect, and the Archetype, and he dwelled in a House of Judgment called the Archeion."

"Without any explanation in Exodus, the URIM and THUMMIN appeared at Mount Horeb as if Moses had previously been familiar with them. We know from the Bible that Moses was an Egyptian (Exodus 2:19), and from Manetho's AEGYPTAICA (c.300 BC) that he had been trained as a temple priest at Heliopolis. Moreover, Phinheas the Levite (son of Eleazar), in whom the "everlasting priesthood" was confirmed (Numbers 25:11-13), bore the same name as Panahesy, the Egyptian Governor of Sinai who happened to have been the Chief Servitor of Aten at Akhenaten's temple of Amarna. Although the Sinai mountain is called Mount Horeb (Cherub Mountain) in the BIble, it subsequently became known as SERABIT EL KHADIM - the full translation of which is "Prominence of the Servitor."

Page 108: The Orbit of Light: Masters of the Fire-Stone - "When discussing the URIM and THUMMIM earlier, we touched on the subject of iridium crystal. Before progressing to the nature of the highward fire-stone, ti is necessary to look a little more circumspectly at iridium and other platinum group metals (PGMs), since they are central to understanding MFKZT. Along with platinum, the other five PGMs are iridium, palladium, rhodium, osmium, and ruthenium. Because of the ultimate strengths of the metals, they are now used in surgical, optical, and dental instruments, crucibles and thermocouples, machine bearings, electrical switch contacts, and all manner of precision devices down to the tipping of needles and pen nibs."

17. Halcyon Guest

Thank you, your effort is very much appreciated.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

"I found another. British Chemist, Sir Humphrey Davy, in 1822 produced an arc-light that supplied electricity between two carbon poles exactly like the description of the Ark of the Covenant.

Then there was his assistant, Michael Faraday, who conducted his own study of the arc-light that led him to the field of gaseous tubes producing a current."

Ye whit? is this saying that Davies put two carbon electrodes together and got electricity? Or what? An arc light is exactly that, current flow between two electrodes is an arc of current, which gives off light. How do gaseous tubes produce a current? You can get light by passing current through gaseous tubes, but any other suggestion is going ot need a whale of proving.

"Yet, I don't read New Age crap. What I write, unless I cut-and-paste, is my own and not attributed to anything New Age I've read."

Yet you proceed to give attribution etc for everything you say, which sounds more like your just reading stuff and posting it, not actually making anything up yourself.

19. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

MW:

The quotations you provided display a simply astounding ignorance of science. A couple of quick points: 1. Transmutation cannot be accomplished with electricity; at best one might electroplate one metal on top of another. 2. Grounding one self is probably the worst thing you can do when exposed to an electrical current. In fact those working with electricity are well advised to wear insulating soles.

The rest of it seems to be a rather horrid amalgamation of Biblical lore, pseudo science, and Alchemy. It reads like utter nonsense.

~Raithere

20. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

----------
    M*W: I cannot explain anything I've cut-and-pasted. The only thing I know about electricity is that when I touch something metal, I get shocked. I cited the reference to what I cut-and-pasted for Halcyon. If I write something original, I don't refer to a reference. I don't read any New Age material. Some of it seems like crapola. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm intuitive on my own, why would I need to read somebody elses work? I do a lot of writing outside of sciforums through standard publication as well as on the Internet. It is only on sciforums that I use "Medicine*Woman" as a pseudonym.

21. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

I'm not surprised that you would have a negative comment. I believe you and ConsequentAtheist are one and the same. I personally don't know anything about electricity. I quoted some requested material for Halcyon, and I indicated the citation. Your opinion means nothing to me.

22. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

"I cannot explain anything I've cut-and-pasted."

YOu know it would really help your arguing if you did, furthermore you didnt cut and paste the DAvies reference did you? OK, you reported it, but it would be nice to have some background to help with the debunking. Its all very well suggesting stuff like that, but it behoves you to check upp on it to make sure its realistic before you start spouting it all over the place, otherwise this'll end up in the pseudoscince forum.

" don't read any New Age material. "

No? Why are some of the stuff you refer to the kind that is called "new age". Perhaps you have a different definition from the rest of us.

"why would I need to read somebody elses work?"

I dont know, why are you quoting a book called "lost secrets of the golden arc"?

23. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

No, I only have one avatar on this board.

You'll note that I addressed the citations specifically and did not engage you personally.

However, what I find disturbing about your behavior is not your ignorance but your blind acceptance of just about any fabrication regardless of its quality or foundation as long as it flies in the face of traditional Christian doctrine. In fact, as it appears on this board, it seems to be the sole criterion upon which you espouse belief or at least support of an idea. Your apparent lack of discretion frankly makes you appear quite foolish.

I would not expect it to. However, I would hope that the factual statements I have given might give you some pause as to whether the citings you posted are in the least bit credible .

~Raithere