Do atheists believe in Jesus?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Medicine*Woman, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

I always thought atheists didn't believe in Jesus or his teachings. I was wrong. I found this interesting website that tells another side of what atheists may believe:

http://www.atheists-for-jesus.com

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nehushta Registered Senior Member

It appears that they don't necessarily believe in Jesus, per se, as much as they believe in his alleged message, as indicated in the intro to that webpage:

Welcome to Atheists for Jesus! A Site designed to provide a method of communication between religious and non-religious people who believe in the message of love and kindness put forth by Jesus.

I have to disagree that Jesus' main message was about love and kindness - that was merely the sheep's clothing it was dressed in. Here are a couple of webpages that help to reveal the kind of person Jesus really was (even if he was just a fictional character, as I actually believe to be the case):

Things We Didn't Find Out in Sunday School

Jesus: The Truth

If Jesus' message had actually been about love and kindness, then I would be in full agreement with those Atheists. But since they are Atheists, I suspect they really haven't read much of the bible themselves, and that they are just going by what they've heard from Christians regarding Jesus' message - a huge mistake, in my opinion.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

Any atheist can believe that Jesus existed, but not that he was actually the son of God.

I have always claimed agnostic to save me the trouble of having to form a defensible position on the subject, so I think it's possible that Jesus existed and possible that he was the son of God.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.