Homework

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Mors, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Mors Registered Senior Member

Im in my Jr. year of high school.
    Does it seem right that i am getting 3-4 hours of homework a night?

I have 5 academic classes they are:
    pre-calc
    English 3
    US history
    Spanish 3
    Chemistry

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

What?!?!? That is crazy. I did nothing in my middle school... same in high school.. freshman year of college, I still do nothing. Somehow I make good grades.

Somehow your schedule looks almost like a high schooler's schedule. I assume either you are slow (I hope not

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

) or they really are loading you up, assuming it will prepare you for high school. They did nothing to prepare me, mainly because we did not need it. High school is nothing special, in my opinion. They still make you do pointless busy work.

Cya!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mors, you're probably just investing an excess of time and energy in your classes.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Mors, when I was in my Jr. yr., I had twice as many classes and slept 3 hrs. a night. Your Jr. year is the hardest and most important when you apply to colleges. Pick your major and take all courses related to it and then some.

8. 10 classes . . . did you live in Japan or something?
    3 hours of sleep . . . not humanly possible.

9. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Mors:
    .......and you're American, yes?

If so...this cute little question is the reason behind why the Easterns, notebly either Japanese or Pakistani, will foreever and a day be a thousands step ahead of where you just finished.

Intellect around here is considered a misdemeanor.

10. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Let's see here. In 3rd grade i was given about 5hrs of homework a night due to my teacher being lazy as a fuck, college graduate, who apprently didn't like kids so she wisely choose teaching as a profession to release her angst upon us kids.

The choice was either homework or a few slaps and hits across the face and back. I partly completed the HW and substitued the unfinished portion with mild beatings everyday.

This is, however, only one class so far. There were 7 others and this is only third grade. My youthful days were spent on HW....about 6-7 hrs each night on HW......thank god i left that education system after 4th grade.....

11. yesemina Registered Senior Member

Whoa, yeah, I've got to agree with what most people have responded with. In high school, I had a great deal of homework. I guess it depends on the school you go to, but 3-4 hours a night to me really sounds like nothing.

Of course, I think I would have had even a lot more had I done more than just doing enough to get by.

12. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Homework was the bain of my schooling career.
    I utterly refused to do any form of homework the whole time I was at any form of school.
    Even when I was 7 I had strong beliefs on what is right and wrong, homework is oh so wrong.
    I actually got expelled from a school for not doing homework, and some other stuff but mostly for not doing homework and making it clear that I will never do homework.

13. Amen, Lou. You could be my long-lost twin brother.

Sargent, I think you're exaggerating flamboyantly when it comes to your 3rd grade homework. Anxiety is a species of sensation that is usually quite absent from an elementary school student's mind: any normal 3rd grader wouldn't even make an attempt at surmounting such impossible odds.

Gendanken . . . now you're really foisting off some hateful fantasy, aren't you sister?

Yesemina
    4 hours of sleep to every 20 hours of activity? 3 to 21!?!?

You call that kind of self-flagellation nothing?

14. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I remember doing homework in high school.
    Or should I say not doing it.
    I used to believe that it should be illegal to take school work home. So I never did.

15. Mors, do not listen to these cads who would have you think that 3 to 4 hours of sleep is tolerable. IT IS NOT! I say necessitas salutis superat libros, the necessity of health supersedes the books!

16. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

What makes you so sure i am exaggerating?.....how exactly did you make this assumption?

This is from having observed every single school system around the world?

Again i ask, have you observed every school system?

Just for you redoubtable i shall show you my regular, everyday, HW list from third grade because i remember it quite fondly. This is similar to what me mum gave to her students.

English (the hateful teacher i was reffering to taught this subject)

1)Find the nouns in sentences #1-67. Write out the original sentence and then write out the sentence again indicating the noun underlined

2)Find the verb in sentences #1-56. Same as above....write two sentences one original and the other with the underlined verb.

3)Sentences #1-45 find pronoun. Read above for instructions.

Oh and guess what Redoubtable....we lucky fuckers got HW during Summer vacation also.

Cads?...umm..okay.... Mors he is right, you'll eventually feel like utter shit with that amount of sleep. 3-4 hrs of sleep is pittance amount, if it really is taking so much time out of your life and then the worst you can do is cut back and talk to your teachers about the implications it is having on you (assuming it is having serious implications)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2003
  17. dinokg Registered Senior Member

I also can say that in the 3rd to 4th grade there is alot of homework. I stayed up to after 12 one night in 4th grade. For me at least this was when there was the most homework. Even in high school I don't have as much homework as I did back then.

But now I am in 12th grade so I am much faster at homework.

18. cthulhus slave evil servant Registered Senior Member

i too left after 4th grade. what a coinsidance. me mum thought i was getting in too many fights and my bro was about to get expelled, so she just pulled all us kids out.

19. Just where did you live then? The land of precocious toddlers and English Nazis?
    Sorry . . . but I don't really believe you would've even tried to do that much work.
    I can remember the 3rd grade too, and, well, the grades didn't matter that much.

20. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Look mummee...there's an airplane up in the skoi

These are my classes right now. During school, each one is 180 minutes long.

AP US History->Cool class, cool teacher, I'm learning a great deal. He's pretty liberal and we get to read Zinn so it's all good. We've been in school four, five weeks and we haven't even gotten to the revolution yet. How's that for depth, huh? I get at least an hour of homework from this class a day, with rare exceptions. Anyone know what subheading is? Subheading is the devil. It helps you remember what you're reading a great deal, I'll give it that...but it takes so much longer to read through the material when you have to subhead it. Sometimes I'll take nap breaks when I'm doing this, so generally it takes up to three hours. In spite of its usefullness I hate subheading and I do not think I will do it unless the teacher specifically asks me to...

Honors English->Cool teacher, with some exceptions there are cool people in the class. There are only three guys there, myself included, and maybe all except two of the ladies are drop dead gorgeous. Anyway, homework load, at least half an hour a night most of the time. But it's usually stuff I like to read so it doesn't get to me at all.

Theater Arts->Haven't had homework from this class yet. Really really really fun class, if you can take something like an improv class or something to improve your acting skills during the day, go for it.

Spanish 3->I'm in this class with three other people, because the computer screwed up the schedules. Means I'll get more out of it. Cool teacher, cool people...not that much homework, actually. For some reason I forget to do Spanish homework all the time, and I really don't know why.

Anyway that's my first quarter and in spite of the load I'm really enjoying it.

21. yesemina Registered Senior Member

No no no... I meant three to four hours of homework, not sleep. God no... I feel like I need at least nine hours of sleep a night (or eight, if I go to bed early) to avoid feeling like I've been hit by a truck in the morning.

22. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

India, but the school could have been very well Nazi land. Just wait till you hear of the more inane things they did.

You don't believe dear old me?...*gasp*

Why would lie about this?...we really did accumilate that much HW on a regular basis. I did almost all of it everyday for a good few hours. Either it was this or get punched in the back by our English professor or get hit on the knuckles with a pencil or a ruler.

Indian schools have eased a lot now due to more and more cultural diffusion from the west but back then in my school it was quite brutal. Sadly enough schools in the underdeveloped regions of villages are even more penal than this....10 fold more.

23. New Life Registered Senior Member

having just finished high school last year I still remember the hmwk clearly. Grade 9 was a bitch, grade 10 eased off, after that it just kept getting more and more. In your first year the teachers are trying to impress (or scare) you into doing what they want (regurgitating facts)............the main tactics are lots of hmwk and huge projects. Most teachers do this at the beginning of each year to weed out the slackers (you'll find this becomes very common in the senior grades)

3-4 hours with those classes seems about normal to me. I would suggest using any and all spares (when you get them) to work on hmwk, it leaves more free time in the evening. Also work thru lunches occassionally. Once I started using my spares productively I rarely had more than 1 hour of hmwk a night, even in grade 13!