Does anyone have a link to the latest ESP experiments

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by Ivan Seeking, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Ivan Seeking Registered Senior Member

On TLC or TDC, I have seen interviews with the scientists doing this work. It is claimed that participants are placed in front of a computer screen that randomly displays many pleasant pictures of beautiful and calming scenery, with a few horrible pictures of crash and murder victims, and similar types of pictures thrown in. It is claimed that on the average, viewers react to the disturbing pictures about 1/3 of a second before they are seen.

Does anyone know about this study or have a link? I don’t remember who was doing this work.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Im really interested in seeing an article on this, however I'll keep my skepticism and say that this sounds more like conditioning. Did they react correctly to the emotion that the image was to evoke when having such an early reaction?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ivan Seeking Registered Senior Member

Yes. As best as I can recall, this involved measurements of skin resistance and I think some basic recoil actions like checking the muscles used when grimmacing. The claim was that this was repeatable in an astronomical percentage of the participants - like 80 or 90%. One scientists involved went on to propose that this was a natural expectation for an evolved defense mechanism. He argues that the reflex timing of this slight precursor to classical information gives prey the maximum advantage to escape an attacker. If the warning comes too early, we can't gauge the proper response. It the warning comes too late, then obviously we have no advantage. He argues that the range of 1/3 second would provide that extra reflex speed for a slight fight or flight advantage.

This all sounded real good…if I could just find the source

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I think the work was being done at either Princeton (PEAR) or Stanford. This report was seen within the last couple of months so it may be a bit early. Of course, it may be total boloney also...but it sure didn't sound like it. Also, please be advised that I am citing this study to the best of my recollection. If I had heard to entire report, I would know where to look.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spookz Banned Banned

this thread outta be of more import to those in this sub forum
    lets post past experiments as well, preferably those with a positive and undisputed outcome

step up!

8. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member