definition of a god_complete. read discussion

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Avatar, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

during this discussion with whitewolf I and we came up with a universal definition of a god and the requirements to be/become one. read and discuss/object/do whatever else
    p.s. belijvolk is whitewolf

belijvolk: what is a god?
    Avatar: a being who's desires are not limited by dreams
    belijvolk: so there are some whose desires are limited?
    Avatar: no, I meant that the fulfillment of desires is virtual / in dreams, but they never become true. If all desires are fulfilled then you are a god. but a god can also be a tiny god only for himself. it is somewhat better that if others also would think so. someone's desire may be to get drubk every day. and if he does, he's no god in my oppinion
    Avatar: desires which are thought to be impossible
    belijvolk: so some desires are good, and some arent.... the ones that would be considered impossible to achieve are the good ones, as you say?
    belijvolk: (by good, i mean working in the definition of god)
    Avatar: no. I don't think that terms good/bad can be used. they are too relative and human made. a god should be universal. imho the desires which would make you a god must also help in the advancement of your species
    belijvolk: so what would help our species advance, in your opinion?
    Avatar: for example. a desire to be immortal, a desire to travel to the stars, a desire tocreate beautiful music which would inspire a generation of artists
    Avatar: social, technical, spiritual ... there are many ways to imporve ourselves
    belijvolk: many have these ambitions.
    belijvolk: few succeed in achieving them.
    Avatar: but few fulfill them and that is what counts. the fulfillment of our dreams
    belijvolk: is there anything more than pure desire that makes a god, then?
    belijvolk: (speaking in terms of abilities)
    Avatar: the ability to transform the desire to physical reality
    Avatar: a god must not be by definition all knowing if he doesn't desire that
    Avatar: that goes for all powerful and eternal also
    belijvolk: a drunkard transforms his desire into reality.
    belijvolk: he does not contribute to society, for he is a drunkard.
    belijvolk: and that may be good, since we do not need contributions of drunkards
    Avatar: if his desires would be other than to get drunk then he wouldn't be a drunkard
    Avatar: or he lacks the ability to be not a drunkard and then he is not a god also
    belijvolk: his desire (to be drunk) helps us advance by keeping him quiet and away.
    belijvolk: no?
    Avatar: no - it doesn't help to advance. only to not slowen the pace. besides one drunkard doesn't affect all socienty - only a very limited population of people
    belijvolk: how do you know that a specific inspiration will be a stride forward, not backwards
    Avatar: I/we don't . but the results would show
    belijvolk: so only time can tell that a god is a god?
    Avatar: i.e. bringing the inspiration into physical reality
    Avatar: I think that noone can. time is only a vector in our n-dimension universe
    belijvolk: so a god will never be recognized, at least not in his lifetime?
    Avatar: an interesting situation actually - being a god and not realising it
    Avatar: why not - Albert Einstein was
    belijvolk: Albert Einstein was jewish, no?
    belijvolk: if so he didnt worship himself
    Avatar: since when do you have to worship all gods? do you worship Shiva or Ra, or Thor?
    Avatar: worshipping is putting yourself in a slave position
    belijvolk: he didnt accept himself as a god. like i dont believe ra is a real deity.
    belijvolk: so to be god you must also be free, not to be a slave?
    Avatar: in a universe where noone can say who is a god and who isn't, that is not important
    Avatar: a slave usually can not fulfill his desires
    Avatar: because his freedom to act is limited
    belijvolk: he is free to try to escape, no?
    Avatar: yes. that is a desire he can fulfill
    Avatar: and if that is fulfilled, he is not a slave anymore
    belijvolk: he may have the potential to escape, but may not want to.
    Avatar: if he being a slave can do something that is his desire and that desire becoming reality betters (imporves imho is not the right word) the world then he can be a god. at least imo :-\
    Avatar: I can not think of a real world example though
    belijvolk: slaves that built pyramids made a contribution.
    Avatar: the slaves didn't - they were merely a tool to the mind that governed it
    belijvolk: if all egyptian slaves (or a sufficient portion of them) went free, there would be no one to build the monuments.
    belijvolk: a pyramid is a rather simple architectural structure, since it is most stable.
    Avatar: try to build it beforehand and then say it's simple

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

it's very precise in it's simplicity and it also sits on the central axis of the world. forgot how the right name for it was
    Avatar: and as for the slaves - the mastermind 's desire is to have someone to bild the pyramid
    Avatar: in this case - the slaves
    Avatar: Alexander of Macedony was very close to being a god. He wanted to conquer all of the known world, that was his desire. And he would have done it if not for his home-sick soldiers (he merely had left 2/3 of India) By conquering most of it, he brought civilization and culture into many crude and barbaric places and societies.
    belijvolk: a pyramid is most stable structure. it is harder to erect a building via post and lintel with columns.
    belijvolk: be careful with what you call barbaric,
    belijvolk: besides, there were many with that mania of conques. like napoleon.
    belijvolk: rome.
    Avatar: but nonthereless he brought higher culture
    belijvolk: if you consider greek culture above indian culture
    belijvolk: (western mindset... tsk-tsk-tsk)
    Avatar: hmmm hes. western it is. but the majority of the lands were crude anyway
    Avatar: and that particular conquest brought long term consequences which allowed the social evolution
    Avatar: in this case - time did tell
    belijvolk: however he did not achieve his goal fully
    Avatar: about pyramid building. there is a saying. ingenious in it's simplicity
    belijvolk: so by your definition he is not a god.
    Avatar: and I noted that in the begining
    belijvolk:

belijvolk: einstein was a god?
    Avatar: see my quote [ Avatar: Alexander of Macedony was very close to being a god. ]
    belijvolk: (pardon. *blush)
    Avatar: one his desire has changed our world. to me he is
    Avatar: but I don't worship him, only admire
    Avatar: there wouldn't be possible satellite communications for instance if not for him
    belijvolk: what was his goal?
    Avatar: I'm not sure. but it must have been to have clarity
    belijvolk: well, did he achieve clarity for himself?
    belijvolk: did he achieve clarity for us?
    Avatar: I'm not him therefore I don't know. as for us - yes - in particular areas. before him scientists had invented aether - a mistical substance in order to explain different happenings in the observed universe. Einstein clarified the situation and got rid of that mistical substance.
    Avatar: never observed/never witnessed/never proved (as for the christian god) , but scientists thought that it must be (as religious folk think of their god today) because things behaved weird. Now they didn't behave weird - they behaved as they should
    Avatar: because we had a better idea/clarity of what the universe is like
    belijvolk: better idea, but not a full vision.
    Avatar: yes. but advancement is a motion not a goal
    Avatar: evolution for that instance also
    belijvolk: so, if we dont have a full vision, neither did einstein.
    Avatar: I see where you are going no, he didn't have a full vision on our universe
    Avatar: but who says that there is only one universe. there can always be a fuller vision
    Avatar: a potential fuller vision
    belijvolk: so if he didnt have the full vision that he was searching for, he was not a god.
    Avatar: you destroyed my god!!! Avatar takes his barbaric war axe and points it at belijvolk
    belijvolk: you give up the god easier than definition of him?
    Avatar: yes. because a definition by definition is universal.
    Avatar: if he is not a god, then I should not call him a such. I can still admire him for the higher level of clarity he brought though
    Avatar: just as you did in my perception towards him and my definition

belijvolk: so who is god, then?
    Avatar: a being who's desires are not limited by reality and he has the ability to transfor them into our physical universe and by doing so imporoving the state of the overall advancement of his species or any other species which is at the same level as his specie would be/is
    Avatar: that is if he is the last living being of his specie left
    belijvolk: is there a god impersonated?
    belijvolk: (has there ever been one?)
    Avatar: somewhere in our discussion I told that noone can really be 100% who is a god and who isn't , because our universe is such and there can potentially always be a higher level of clarity. and therefore a higher intelect may not agree with my conclusions.
    belijvolk: do you believe anyone who has the goal that would advance us ever reaches it fully?
    Avatar: here we/I have a problem. because my definition requires that all desires must be fulfilled. If he has a only desire to advance us at a particular level and if he has no other desires that he has not fulfilled
    Avatar: (the desires also must meet the conditions of the betterment (sorry for use of that word, but I like it)
    Avatar: even if webster doesn't agree with mee *sneers
    belijvolk: it would seem that a correct step in advancement is the one made towards a larger goal.
    belijvolk: the larger the goal, the more steps we can make, but the goal is never reached fully (concept of a limit).
    Avatar: I think that you are right here. but that larger goal may not be known
    belijvolk: einstein had it--- fullest clarity.
    belijvolk: and his steps were made in right direction, and there were many.
    Avatar: and only a being having a higher level of clarity can connect it to some higher goal
    Avatar: maybe he did, I do not know
    belijvolk: so, the one who will advance us will never reach his goal fully.
    belijvolk: the only goals that can be fully reached in their original consumption are simple ones, like finnishing the bottle.
    Avatar: he would if his goal is some particular level of advancement
    Avatar: for instance - hyperspace
    belijvolk: he wouldnt reach it fully... human nature.
    Avatar: yes, but then it would be another goal and another desire, no?
    Avatar: a desire has to be particular not hypothetical (sp)
    belijvolk: look, i want to step on mars. (suppose i have the scientific education necessary to make some further advances). how far will i get to actually doing it?
    Avatar: still - if Alexander of Macedony had conquered all of the then known world and he wouldn't know in his life (let's imagine it) that there are not any other places to conquer, he would be a god to his people, but a being with a higher level of clarity knowing of another continent what Alexander isn't aware of knows that he is not a god by my definition, because Alexander's goal is to conquer all of the world
    belijvolk: how hard was it for Alex to notice there is land further than his country's borders?!
    Avatar: belijvolk - Alexander was only 32 when he had almost completed his goal (and killed). It's all dependent of you and how strong your desire is and your ability to make it real
    Avatar: of course he knew that he hadn't reached his goal
    belijvolk: the further he went the more chances he had of being killed in combat. the world as he knew it would never be his fully.
    belijvolk: besides, it is hard to hold what you conquer.
    Avatar: he had a chance to be killed in the first battle also. I said in my little poem that life is dice
    belijvolk: well, the conclusion that has to be reached is that there were no gods in our history (lets not admit a drunkard as one).
    belijvolk: on that i shall leave you
    belijvolk: you may go off and curse out socrates who told us to question everything
    Avatar: yes. thank you for the discussion. it was very interesting
    belijvolk: good day, sir.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

overly-complex definition

'God' - Man-made concept of a being not subject to limitation.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

Who defines advancment? To some, an advancment in our society could be to end the currect US government, and erect a total dictatorship, with all industry geared towards military, with goals to take over the earth. Or that we revert back to living off the land and let large portions of our population starve and die off, thereby stabilizing out ecology, and baring any major catastrophes (asteroids, supernovaes, etc..) have our ancestors live as long as the earth is stable.

"Advancement of our species" is a fuzzy phrase and not quite adequate.

Why? How does this advance our society? It lengthens the amount of time that humans exist, but it does not garentee the propogation of our society, our mimes, anything, it just makes our presence wider spread.

How does immortality help someone? Any changes to a human to make them able to live a longer, indefintly longer, life, would also make them inhuman. It's theorized that the human mind can only handle about 1000 years of living, before it is no longer the same human... Does this invalidate your god when they reach an age where they are no longer themselves?

The music one... Music is a key to peoples emotions, but it isn't a measure of our advancment. It is a recreatonal activity, are you saying that when artists are payed to create beautiful things, that our society is advanced, and prosperous enough to have the ability to support people that only create items that have no practical use or value?

Dreams are individualistic. Whats our societies dream as a whole? In the US I believe it's to make the most money you can before you die, become famous, and spit in everyone elses face. Our collective dream may be to be the most obviously prosperous nation in the world, and to put our greedy fingers into everyone elses business. Does our government trying to acheive this goal, and for the most part suceeding, make us all gods for electing them? We reliezed our desires as a whole, and moved towards the advancment of them.'

Consider the cumulative effect of the drunkards. One drunkard effects a few people. Each added together create a nationwide problem with drunkeness, drunk driving, etc. They spend billions on this problem yearly through prvention, court systems, and jailing. Not to mention the man hours lost due to greiving, hangovers, and human error. That makes it a society effecting event, though it does't fit your definition. The drunkards desires aren't to disrupt civilization, their desire is to get drunk.

Are you speaking miracles, such as instantaneous projection of an idea into a physical reality, or are you speaking of someone, anyone, have an idea, say to build a boat, then they go buy the wood, cut it into lengths, cunstruct their masterpeice, and step back, and feel the glow of accomplishment. Are they a god?

Is noah a god? Could the bibile be a collecton of stories about gods, a polytheistic religion based on the accomplishments of ordinary men, turning themselves into more then men, for what they do? Noah built his ark in the face of an impending flood. Theres evidence such a flood DID occur in the distant past. Could one man ahead of his time recognize this fact, and make somthing of it? (paragraph there is speculation)

I don't worship any god at this point in time, but could worship be the ultimate form of admiration? Worshipping has nothing to do with slavery, your not at the beck and call of the god, your just admiring their greatness as a god, letting them recognize that you recognize them.

A slave who does not escape, so that he does not make life harder for his fellows through his selfish act can be admired as a god, such as you admire Einstein as one.

How? His contribution change how 1% of the population view and study the world, most people don't care about it, a lot don't even know who einstien was.

Poor avatar

You proved to yourself, not the rest of us

Mr Cat,

God created the dinosaurs. God Killed the dinosaurs. God created man. Man killed god. Man create dinosaurs. - Ian in jurassic park, I think it applies to what you said.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

fafnir665

Hello,

Man killed 'God'?

. How does man kill a being without limitation?
    In Jurassic park, hollywood spliced some dinosaur DNA (residing
    in the gut of a fossilized mosquito) with some frog DNA; thus,
    creating hybrid species. What does this have to do with a being
    without limitation?

-CC

8. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

well, the dinosaur part was superflous, but that line was in the book too, so it's critons philosphy... I just thought it was an interesting quote that applies to the thought that god is just an idea, not an actual being.

9. candy Valued Senior Member

I think I would be able to understand God better if someone would please explain Angels to me?

10. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

I know this isn't my thread... but could we try and keep it in line with avatars initial post? It could be an interesting convo if kept on topic.

11. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Fafnir665

Ahhh I getz it (man can kill his own idea no matter how unlimited
    it may be). Thanks for z clarification.

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I thought of advancement that affects all or the majority of developed societies on the planet. for instance that same conquest of Alexander of Macedony. It "advanced" many undeveloped cultures for hundreds of years in the future with the help of greek culture.

social, technological or spiritual evolution

simple - the society has more chance of surviving and if it doesn't , then we still have a chance for a new society / civilization rising

ahhh. this is something of my personmal phylosophy. you can trash the music if you really want, but I think that the creation of beauty (or what we think it is or must be) is a part of our spiritual evolution. Art is also a inner desire to create beauty and it also shows how aware we are on our surroundings. Take cavemen for instance. When the paintings in tose caves in France were discovered scientists imediately thought that the man was not so primitive as they thought it was. He was more aware of the surroundings, he was capable of expressing it, he did it (apparently) without being paid for it

my god thingie definition requests that the desires are not regressive. if they are, then they have nothing to do with becoming a god_complete. and regressive they can be cultural / social, technological and spiritual.
    but they desires are yet again not benifiting their culture/society , civilization

yes. I thought exactly of the latter kind of creation. but the definition as unrealistic as it may be requests that all desires are fulfilled and all or most of them help in the advancement of our species.
    we have had no gods , but in theory the definition is valid. if not now, then maybe millions of years in the future or also never at all

imho worshipping is admitting ones disability. Remember what Nietzsche said about teachers and students that you are a bad student if you do not become better than your teacher

please see again: evolution/advancement/ betterment (I know it's not a valid word) of our species

oh? but nonthereless thanx to him satellite communications are possible and I think you can't neglect the impact this has on our whole civilization

p.s. please point out if I have left smthing unansvered. I was totally tired and slept for a few hours and I'm not yet fully awake :m:

13. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

? !

In human terms, advancement means exactly that. As for advancement of culture, and other things you mentioned, only time can tell (not you!), as was mentioned in the discussion.
    Please show reference. We're interested in all interesting theories. To you personally, I can only tell, that this theory can not be proven as long as we dont have a human that lived that long; which, therefore, means this is only a hypothesis, and has little substance.
    What?! Are you saying that art, music, and architecture are not a sign of development of human brain? Not even a sign of wealth? Arts were used to measure prosperity and advancement ever since ancient Greece; after the Dark Ages, we decided Greeks were right.
    Well, according to Avatar's definition, we trully are gods in this case; however, the full fulfillment of the dream is required, along with everyone's desire for the same goal in unison (in reality it isnt so, our goal isnt fully reached, there are conflicting interests). Also, if i recall correctly, the definition requires full fulfillment of all dreams.
    Here, you are bringing in Christianity which has a different definition of god, and also implies that Noah wasnt one. It is debatable that such a flood covered the WHOLE (im not yelling here) earth, and that Noah existed, along with his actions.

The bible, however, mentions that Noah's full desire was for god to let all people live, and this desire wasnt completed. So no, Noah is not a god fitting definition on the table here.
    Well, Avatar's choice of words is actually perfect here. He did mention admiration of gods instead of worship. Worship does enslave, the Crusades are an example, along with jihad.
    To Avatar, Einstein was god. Also, dont underestimate Einstein's effect, he's a genius for a reason, you might want to do some research...
    My intention was to prove that no human fits Avatar's definition of a god, that the definition itself is at fault, and that we still have no clue what god is. I understand my thesis has little substance to back it, and to fully develop my arguments I would need another six hours of debating with Avatar. It was 3:30 am when the conversation had to be interrupted, I preferred sleep.

Mr. Cat:
    All man-made concepts are limited in man's mind, in actual boundaries or worded definitions.

14. Fafnir665 You just got served. Registered Senior Member

Thats YOUR definition. That definition may or may not be held by others, that was the point I was trying to make. It's not possible to say that advancements in those fields will advance society as a whole.

For example, robotics has made it cheaper to produce items, because they take out the men's salaries that put the products together before the invention of robots. How does laying off all the people who held those jobs advance society? It is an advance in technology, but a backwards step in society. I would wager it is spiritually as well, at least for the people affected, which is pretty much everyone. The people who were layed off, until they find another job, are a strain on our economy, taking money from the government to survive.

True. It increases the chance of surviving humans, it doesn't neccesarily help in any way our society.

Where am I trashing music? I'm just stating a viewpoint. Music is an artform, more powerful then visual arts IMHO, because it's a direct tap into emotion, for a lor of people. Music can be used to control pace, moods, etc, but there are superflous forms of it. Someone who is paid to create beats that increase productivity (like the drummers on viking ships) are doing a survice to society. People who get paid to wave a little stick around in the air for the enjoyment of the people who can afford to attend aren't.

Where?

If the president desires that his family has the oil in afghanistan, and gets it, then uses it to produce more gasoline, and therefore lowers gas prices, he has helped society as a whole, or at least one major society, is he a god?

That would be exactly what I said.

Where do you get this information? Sources please.

I didn't try to define it, you two did. I just said that you couldn't define what advancment for a society is, because of the different elements of the society.

Read

Without using your examples, I said the same thing. I only asked if I was correct in my speculation.

That is why I tagged "specualtion" on the end of that paragraph.

15. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

whitewolf

Hello,

So the concept of 'infinity' is really bounded? Please ellaborate.

16. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Do you accept that infinity is not allowed to have an end? Infinity is bound by its definition to be infinite, and is limited in the sense that it is not allowed to have a boundary (paradoxical as it may seem, however, please try to follow).

17. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

whitewolf

It appears your argument is based on the example that
    that 'Infinity' has a limitation... which is it cannot be 'finite'. If so,
    thats not a paradox. That's just what 'infinity' is not; however, I
    can accept this as a limitation IF you're defining 'limitation' as
    being a 'restriction'.

Using the same logic against a 'being not subject to limitation',
    the actual limitation would be the 'being cannot be limited'? I
    would argue that such a being could choose to pretend it is
    subject to limitation; thus, the restriction of not being limited
    appears to be lifted no?