Discussion about Religion

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Judas2000, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Judas2000 Registered Member

Wich were the first religion?
    Worship of the sun?

Please, all thoose who arent religious, DONT answer.
    Youre physically unable to reply with intelligent answers.
    All non-religious people are brainwashed by the atheists.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wayne_92587 Registered Senior Member

The Sun is the Light unto the World, the World of Reality, the Light of Day.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. outlandish smoki'n....... Registered Senior Member

Your simplistic conceptualisation of religious or non religious is laughable. How can you distinguish those who are religious from those that are not religious when the concept of "religion" is a fallacy, a concept reduced to pigeon-hole stereotypes by the evangelical baptists, and Roman catholics, and maybe the protiatants I'm affraid to say.
    I have faith in a omnipotent entity yes, I believe in matters metaphysical yes, but I don't belong to any pigeon hole, So what, that makes be non religious by your definition?

PS: it seems the mods have saved you from our little tete a tete. Pitty.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Judas2k,

Fair enough we’ll ignore your question. We can focus on your attitude instead.

Hmm, so these people aren’t/wern’t capable of intelligent answers then, right –

James Madison, American president and political theorist (1751-1836).
    "During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What has been its fruits? More or less, in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy; ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry, and persecution."
    "In no instance have . . . the churches been guardians of the liberties of the people."
    "Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise." [April 1, 1774]

Robert Green Ingersoll, American politician and lecturer (1833-1899).

"The universe is all the God there is."

"Our ignorance is God; what we know is science."

"With soap, baptism is a good thing."

"The clergy know that I know that they know that they do not know."

"Why should I allow that same God to tell me how to raise my kids, who had to drown His own?"

"There is no harmony between religion and science. When science was a child, religion sought to strangle it in the cradle. Now that science has attained its youth, and superstition is in its dotage, the trembling, palsied wreck says to the athlete: 'Let us be friends.' It reminds me of the bargain the cock wished to make with the horse: 'Let us agree not to step on each other's feet.'"

"For ages, a deadly conflict has been waged between a few brave men and women of thought and genius upon the one side, and the great ignorant religious mass on the other. This is the war between Science and Faith. The few have appealed to reason, to honor, to law, to freedom, to the known, and to happiness here in this world. The many have appealed to prejudice, to fear, to miracle, to slavery, to the unknown, and to misery hereafter. The few have said, "Think!" The many have said, "Believe!" [The Gods, 1872]

Samuel Clemens "Mark Twain", American author and humorist (1835-1910).
    "Faith is believing what you know ain't so."
    "'In God We Trust.' I don't believe it would sound any better if it were true."
    "It ain't the parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand."
    "Religion consists in a set of things which the average man thinks he believes and wishes he was certain of."

Thomas Edison, American inventor (1847-1931).
    "Religion is all bunk."
    "I have never seen the slightest scientific proof of the religious ideas of heaven and hell, of future life for individuals, or of a personal God."

George Bernard Shaw, Irish-born English playwright (1856-1950).
    "The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

William Howard Taft, American President and Chief Justice (1857-1930).
    "I do not believe in the divinity of Christ and there are many other of the postulates of the orthodox creed to which I cannot subscribe."

Bertrand Russell, British philosopher, educator, mathematician, and social critic (1872-1970).
    "I wish to propose for the reader's favourable consideration a doctrine which may, I fear, appear wildly paradoxical and subversive. The doctrine in question is this: that it is undesirable to believe a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true."
    "I am myself a dissenter from all known religions, and I hope that every kind of religious belief will die out."
    "Religion is based . . . mainly on fear . . . fear of the mysterious, fear of defeat, fear of death. Fear is the parent of cruelty, and therefore it is no wonder if cruelty and religion have gone hand in hand. . . . My own view on religion is that of Lucretius. I regard it as a disease born of fear and as a source of untold misery to the human race." [quoted in Holy Horrors]

Albert Einstein, German born American threoretical physicist (1879-1955).
    "It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it." [From a letter Einstein wrote in English, dated 24 March 1954. It is included in Albert Einstein: The Human Side, edited by Helen Dukas and Banesh Hoffman, published by Princeton University Press.
    "A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."

Ernest Hemingway, American author (1899-1961).
    "All thinking men are atheists." [A Farewell to Arms]

…and many many more.

In a religious dominated society it would appear that the non-religious are the only ones that have a found the way to think for themselves.

Now if you really want to discuss brainwashing then the history of Christianity offers astounding evidence especially when considering its own admission of evangelical preaching.

8. Judas2000 Registered Member

I pity you, youre all so locked in your own ignorance.
    This topic was pure sarcastic.It was a bait, bait for
    DOGS. I posted it to confirm my beliefs about you.

And wraith............since my computer is at work,this will
    have legal consequenses.

9. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

Wow! A thinking man. Imagine that!

10. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Judas2000,

And somehow this should concern us?

Ignorance of what? You have not demonstrated any great wisdom or knowledge yet so who are you to judge us?

Riiight! Fortunately dogs don’t post here so it looks like you wasted your time.

It looks more like you simply couldn’t deal with a couple of criticisms and are now making gutless excuses.

11. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Woof Woof! grrr arff.

12. *starts humping Cris' leg*

13. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

OK ok so there might be some primitives around here.

And get off you mangy hound.

14. outlandish smoki'n....... Registered Senior Member

Cris, so are you saying that any belief in any form of diety/God/omnipotent entity...whatever you care to "label" it as = Religion?

15. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Wraith, i think thats fairly close to the standard definition. you can widen it further of course.

16. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Yup pretty much.

Or perhaps more precisely - the belief in a supernatural realm where your actions on earth affect your status in that realm after you die and might affect your status while you are alive.

17. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

Cris, pretty precise ofcourse. btw, what makes you to believe that supernatural realm is not natural at all..?

18. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Everneo,

By definition. If it were natural it wouldn’t be defined as ‘super’ natural.

Everything we know is naturalistic. Until it has been detected the supernatural is just a concept and cannot be seen as anything other than a fantasy product of human imagination.

19. Flores Registered Senior Member

But just as the concepts and theories of physics and math are used to explain our physical world, the concept of the one god is important to explain the purpose of this physcial world, morality, and ethics....and why call a mere believe in a concept a religion. Many people keep their believes private and don't get invovled in exclusive doctrines and are not selling the believe, profiting from the believe, acting as a teacher to the believe, ect....so why do you call those religionist. We don't call people that count their money or the stars in the sky mathematicians...do we?

When I started with this site, I used to label others who don't believe like me Atheists. I knew nothing of Atheism, yet I constructed a whole set of stereotypes in my mind and I attributed them to Athesim. This was the work of my imagination, because I couldn't possibly think of true Atheism because I wasn't one...I was merely speculating.. But very quickly I learned that it's not right to label or pegeon hole people, because that's how religions are created. Religions don't exist unless they are perceived by others and labeled by others...You will never find Jesus say, I'm a christian, or Moses say, I'm Jewish, they all said, we are believers....in what exactly, we can only imagine... so by you perceiving me and labeling me as a religionist Cris, you are responsible for setting the foundation of the term religion, and thus you must be the biggest religionist around.... I didn't attribute myself to a religion, I merely used a book that I found interesting as a ground for a discussion, you are free to denounce it for reasons, just like you're free to use scientific theories to back up your words, and I have the freedom to criticise it, and we are free to think and believe, and the minute someone lables us, he/she is responsible for setting the imaginary world in their minds and imposing it on us.

You can't but forcast, speculate, imagine what another is feeling, thinking, or believing.....So by default you're the one imagining everything you see, say, or attribute to another person believes. To the person believing and thinking, his/her believes and thoughts are very real, but for you it's mere imagination....and a bunch of green flying elephants that only you seem to be seeing.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2003
  20. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Flores,

No there is a fundamental difference. Science is based on observation and detection. A god concept is based entirely on baseless speculation.

If it includes a belief in a supernatural force then by definition it has a religious nature.

It is irrelevant whether they follow an institutional religion or not.

Why not? If they have the ability to use mathematics to that extent then they are mathematicians.

No you were simply ignorant.

Why not? If someone is a man why would they object to being called a man?

Religions exist whether they are labeled or not. Whether Jesus called himself religious or not is irrelevant. He would be religious as a result of his actions.

You are confusing institutional religion with generic religion. If someone believes in a supernatural entity and that it will affect their life then that person is religious according to the definition. The person may not communicate that belief to anyone else and the details of that belief may not match any other religion. But the person is religious whether anyone calls them religious or not.

No. The label is true depending on their actions or properties. For example a woman is so labeled because she has specific physical properties. Those properties have nothing to do with my imagination. Similarly someone is religious if they act according to the definition of religion.

And without any proof such beliefs can only be based on imagination. While the thoughts and beliefs are real the objects to which they apply are only imaginary if they cannot be detected.

21. wayne_92587 Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The Super Natural is Natural, it is just outside, beyond, above, superior to, the natural order of the Material World of Reality.

Super Natural is relative, natural to, Reality that exists beyond,
    above, that is Superior to, the Material World of Reality.

Finite Freedom, the Natural order of the Material World of Reality is Freedom that is subject to the Chaos of Cause and Effect, Determinism, Evolution, the survival of the fittest.

Super Natural, Superior, Supreme, BE-ing, divine Freedom is Highly Ordered, is not Chaotic.

Supernatural Freedom is infinite, Freedom from the Chaos of the Material World of Reality, Evolution, cause and effect, determinism, the law of the jungle to kill or be killed, the Reality of the Material World, Might is Right, freedom from the fear of Wild beasts, is not subject to the Survival of the fittest.

It would take a Divine, a Supernatural Will to bring the Chaos to Order.

In order to create World of Reality where there is an Equity (which is unnatural to the material World of Reality) of Freedom and Justice for All would require, the Will of a Supernatural BE-ing, a Superior State of Mind.

22. Flores Registered Senior Member

Religion is also based on observations and detections, and since religion is a private matter with the goal to estimate the person's life purpose, then the object of observation and detection happens to be the person and all the results of the study happen to only be applicable to the person.

I personally don't believe in a supernatural force. I believe in a natural force that is responsible for creating this universe. I call it universal order, others call it nature, others call it entropy, other call it god, ect...

Irrelevant to whom exactly?

And I was the dumb one that got so excited and empowered by my most recent accomplishment of passing the PE exam and being recognized by the board of engineers as a professional engineer. Little did I know that any Joe Shmoe that have lifted up a scale or operated a computer is an engineer.

Well thank you, and while we are at the name calling, so are you.

Yes, they should object, specially if the person calling them a man is using the label to belittle them.

It only exist in your head...perhaps your head is not challenged enough or occupied by enough of it's own theories that it always find itself obsessed with how others think.

Is this something similar to brand prescribtion drugs and generic. Is one more expensive than the other...May you elaborate please, I wanna make sure I'm getting the best for my buck.

Very good, then my Atheist insurance agent must have been lying to me and is in reality religious because he just insured my house againest all "acts of god", including lightening, floods, earthquakes, ect....

Wow, you are just determined on labeling others.....I'll buy you a bunch of stickies so you can go labeling happy.

You obviously don't make a distinction between physical attributes and mental choices. For example, a black man is black whether he likes it or not, and yellow is yellow and a white is white....But how could you call a person a communist or a religionist because they seem to believe secretely in a set of ideas that YOU happened to attribute to negative words like religion or communisim . Isn't this againest all privacy laws.....No one can compel another to give a religion affiliation, while you are pushing an affiliation on me whether I like it or not....Religion is made up by man and chose by man, being a woman/man/black/yellow is not a choice, religion is. And I chose to believe in god and not be religious...IT IS MY CHOICE....My sex, race is not.

What objects???? Whoever spoke of an object????? I'm getting an ulcer here yelling that I believe in the concept of singularity and universal order...just like you believe that 1+1=2, I believe that infinity =1....you can't disprove me, and you don't want to agree with me, that's why I'm not your clone or called Cris.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2003
  23. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Wayne,

No. It is just a baseless imaginative concept.