Southern Baptists, Who are they?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Flores, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Flores Registered Senior Member

I know a lot of southern Baptists, and they seem to me to be the most indoctrinated sect in christianity.

Here's their official web page:

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/

If you wish to meet their loving and caring church staff, visit: Please note that the white robes are being worn as heat resistant clothing and nothing else.

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/staff/

Please check their policy againest the unsaved...straight from the bible.
    http://www.landoverbaptist.org/beliefs.html

View their methods of spotting a terrorist and how to spot a middle eastern man
    http://bettybowers.com/fbi.html

They have an office in the white house.
    http://www.whitehouse.org/dof/

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jade Squirrel Impassioned Atheist Registered Senior Member

Landover Baptist Church, Betty Bowers, and whitehouse.org are all parody sites. Quite convincing, aren't they?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ren Registered Member

Yep it's a shitty religion, yet they have never blown shit up like a certin other religion does all the time makes you think...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Yeah . . . those are all fake . . .

8. Jade Squirrel Impassioned Atheist Registered Senior Member

You must not live in Ireland...

9. Ren Registered Member

Bah Irland hasent had a attack in years and i dubt soutern baptist where behind them at the time

10. Jade Squirrel Impassioned Atheist Registered Senior Member

You appeared to be speaking about the religion of Christianity in general, and stating that Ireland has not had an attack in years negates your former assertion that they (Christians) have "never" blown things up.

If, however, you were referring specifically to Southern Baptists, then your previous point is accepted (as far as I know anyway).

11. Flores Registered Senior Member

Perhaps it have nothing to do with religion, and that if we conducted a universal survey on humans, we'll find that men/women are more likely to act in violence as a last resort, or when they are desperate. For example, let's start in the United States by laying off most employees and reducing the wages of others by half. After that, let's increase the gas to $20.00 a gallon, triple all prices, raise taxes, kick people out of their houses who can't pay their ever increasing debts, and tell everyone that they'll go to jail for using any cheap foreign products. Let's also do what some arabic countries dictators does and top the opression with total control of the press, education, free speech, ect....To top it off, let's make it mandatory for all to become christians, visit the church twice a week for ceremonies and kill all non chrisitians. All the above have nothing to do with christianity of course, but can easily be used by a dictator to control and opress masses. After all that is done, let's start observing the number of violent incidents and bombings and compare it with what we currently see in the islamic world.

Ren, It's economics and politics period. Religion is just a tool that can be used wrongly by anyone to achieve their dirty goal. The motive is by far not religion, it's the greed. And what better way to break the spirit of the masses and divert them from looking at the real problem except by terrorising them with the thing dearest to them, which is their salvation.

12. Ghassan Kanafani Mujahid Registered Senior Member

Well this one isnt fake : Jack Van Impe and his lunatic assistante Rexala :

They have their own TV-show and seriously the indoctrination is more shocking than North Korea . There is not even the slightest coherency in the sentences , oh and you should hear them about world-events its just beyond any reason and logic , hilarious shocking and terrifying .

Flores I tell you , ours have absolutely nothing on these peoples , they are just beyond : You should hear the verse-attacks Jack throws out its like some lunatic alien-code

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Check out their MUST-SEE TV : http://www.thegospel.org/Pages/JVIM.asp

Absolutely terrifying

Their site : http://www.jvim.com/

13. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

Xian terrorists

Hi Ghassan, this is the first time I've replied to one of your posts. There are other televangelists like this guy, but I'm afraid I flip the channel too quickly to hear them speak. Your post gave me an idea about these religious terrorists. I'd like to call them reli-tele-terrorists, if you will. That's what they are--religious terrorists on TV. And what's sad is, people send them money!!! Are we in the wrong business or what? You don't see too many atheist, agnostic, or even Muslim, Buddhist or Hare Krishna reliteleterrorists begging for money on TV! My question, why Xians only on TV? My answer, because that's the religion that cons those poor elderly people to send in all their money. Is that what God wants? Hell, no! It's all a sham--the TV thing, and the religion. Xianity needs to be shown for what it really is. The problem, its believers are already brainwashed and cannot see the truth, or the lies. I believe all these televangelists should be taken off TV, but then that's how the stations make their money. It's all based on the almighty dollar. You people are right. There is only one God, and I have no problem calling him Allah. Some things just do not change, right? I'm all for coordinating a group against Xian-terrorists and publicizing it as widely as possible. I'd like to hand the Xians back some of the terror they have done to the world through their lying Bible, witch hunts, inquisitions, pedophile priests, and myth of a false savior.

14. Ghassan Kanafani Mujahid Registered Senior Member

There are other televangelists like this guy, but I'm afraid I flip the channel too quickly to hear them speak.

I didnt know them other than when they speak in front of audiences , this entire 'news-media' direction shocked me completely . You should hold the channel for a second sometime and listen what they say , the incoherency is beyond such imagination that one might wonder weither they are actually speaking english language . The verse attacks are so fast Im completely stumbled by both the reason to mention them or the conclusion they present , mostly same thing : 0 .

And what's sad is, people send them money!!!

And they ask for you to buy those tapes of their own movies (!!!) and this amerikan-typical propaganda voice promotes it like its hllywood production amazing . But what amazes me more is that they dont ask you just to buy ,you should buy for everybody not just 1 they want you to order like 10 videos .

But what really scares me is theri happyness . You see it is completely independant of what they are doing or talking about , their overal joy is there weither nice things happen or nuclear bombs fall . I wonder since Bush is an evangelist , would he actually whatch this shit and say 'yea Jack thats right verse 1264451365 etc etc'

Xianity needs to be shown for what it really is.

My personal experiences with Christianity have been mostly Orthodox and I believe many elements that such tradion holds could have very good effects on other Christian sects .

There is only one God, and I have no problem calling him Allah. Some things just do not change, right

About all Muslims I know have little problem calling him God either .

15. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

For the record ....

The real Southern Baptist Convention. I tend to think of them as a parody as well.

Their Faith statements

On "Christians and the Social Order"

16. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

Xianity sells

Originally posted by Ghassan Kanafani
    ----------
    You should hold the channel for a second sometime and listen what they say, the incoherency is beyond such imagination that one might wonder weither they are actually speaking english language.
    ----------
    (Perhaps they were speaking in "tongues." That's some sort of self-induced jibberish that only God can understand. Psychiatrists have a name for it. It manifests in altered mental states requiring medication and rubber rooms. Well, in all honesty, I have actually turned on Jimmy Swaggert on a Sunday afternoon just to watch him thump his Bible and cry those fake tears!)
    ----------
    (One must remember when these televangelists sell their tapes, and books, and videos, they ask for a "donation," because they are "tax exempt!" This turns my stomach! Just think of all the people who could be helped around the world if they were taxed!)
    ----------
    And they ask for you to buy those tapes of their own movies (!!!) and this amerikan-typical propaganda voice promotes it like its hllywood production amazing . But what amazes me more is that they dont ask you just to buy, you should buy for everybody not just 1 they want you to order like 10 videos.
    ----------
    (They try to instill fear into their viewers. "Jesus wants you to spread the word." "God will send you blessings for giving this bunch of crap to your friends and family.)
    ----------
    But what really scares me is theri happyness. You see it is completely independant of what they are doing or talking about, their overal joy is there weither nice things happen or nuclear bombs fall.
    ----------
    (Joy sells. Everyone wants joy in their lives. The only happiness these 'snake-oil hawkers' have is when the donations come in.)
    ----------
    I wonder since Bush is an evangelist, would he actually whatch this shit and say 'yea Jack thats right verse 1264451365 etc etc
    ----------
    (I don't think Dubbya is an evangelist by any means. I also don't think he is a recovering alcoholic. Remember during football season when he "choked on a pretzel and fell down in the Oval Office and gashed his forehead?" The guy was drunk. I'm not stupid. Since he's supported by the religious right, the ultra-conservatives, he presents himself as a Xian believer. He was raised Presbyterian, so that's not that dogmatic of a religion. It's one of those 'middle-of-the-road' types. Any references Dubbya makes about "faith-based" shit is because he's getting financially supported by the religious right. It's all a tangled web woven by the spin doctors. It's all in the name of getting votes on election day. The Office of the President really doesn't wield that much power as they would have us to believe. The Office of the President is no more than a puppet show.)
    ----------
    My personal experiences with Christianity have been mostly Orthodox and I believe many elements that such tradion holds could have very good effects on other Christian sects. About all Muslims I know have little problem calling him God either.
    ----------
    (I believe in the Qur'an where it says that Jesus wasn't Xfied. THIS is the TRUTH! This is what I believed before I knew it was stated in the Qur'an. So, if the Qur'an states THIS truth, what other TRUTHS does the Qur'an state? I want to know. Therefore, the Qur'an is more truthful than the Bible. I have many Muslim friends with whom I can discuss forth-right about the Bible, Xianity and the Qur'an. They are always amazed to hear me, a white American, speak the truth about Xianity!)

17. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

Re: Xian terrorists

What is it about asking for money that is terrorist in nature?

Are there any secular humanist organizations that accept donations?

Because America is predominantly Christian, so a Buddhist or Muslim televangelist wouldn't be nearly as successful.

No religion besides Christianity accepts donations?

How do you know?

And what is it? Probably a big falsehood, like every other religion except Discordianism.

So only Christians are "brainwashed" into thinking their faith true?

Taken off TV by the government or by the station management?

How do you know there is only one God, or that there is a God at all?

What makes the Bible any more of a lie than the Talmud or Koran, for example? What about all other religions that allow the abuse of children, persecute non-believers and preach the word of a false savior or prophet?

18. nico Banned Banned

JVIM!

I was the one who introduced Jvim to Ghassan and yes I was in shock when I first watched it. He claims that there are only 5 arab states, also if u noticied Rexala loves the death cult of the messiahanic era. Of course this is translated into all of Christianity I will say this :

THIS IS NOT CHRISTANITY, at least for sane people.

This is the map of the death cult:

OHH SCARY!

19. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

Re: Re: Xian terrorists

Originally posted by Galt
    ----------
    What is it about asking for money that is terrorist in nature?
    ----------
    (They prey on the sad, the lonely, the elderly, and beg for 'donations.' They terrorize these hopeless people with the myth of Xianity.)
    ----------
    Are there any secular humanist organizations that accept donations?
    ----------
    (Sure, there are.)
    ----------
    Because America is predominantly Christian, so a Buddhist or Muslim televangelist wouldn't be nearly as successful.
    ----------
    (Ah, the almightly dollar speaks again!)
    ----------
    No religion besides Christianity accepts donations?
    ----------
    (I'd venture to bet they all do.)
    ----------
    How do you know?
    ----------
    (Money talks.)
    ----------
    And what is it? Probably a big falsehood, like every other religion except Discordianism.
    ----------
    (I'm not familiar with Discordianism. What is it?)
    ----------
    So only Christians are "brainwashed" into thinking their faith true?
    ----------
    (No, its not only Xians, but I cannot speak for other religions.)
    ----------
    Taken off TV by the government or by the station management?
    ----------
    (Well, the government doesn't have that much influence on the media, but the media most definitely has tremendous influence on the government. So that tells you who's running things--the media. The media is only interested in programming ratings and making more money.
    ----------
    How do you know there is only one God, or that there is a God at all?
    ----------
    (I've answered this question before, please look at my previous posts. The One Spirit of God encompasses the entire universe. God is the universal energy in all creation, and we are the vessels to carry the One Spirit of God on the face of the Earth. There, I've said it again!)
    ----------
    What makes the Bible any more of a lie than the Talmud or Koran, for example?
    ----------
    (I cannot speak for the holy books of other faiths.)
    ----------
    What about all other religions that allow the abuse of children, persecute non-believers and preach the word of a false savior or prophet?
    ----------
    (I cannot speak for all other religions nor can I interpret their holy books. You should ask the followers of these other faiths this question.)
    ----------
    (Now, let me ask you a question. Why do you think America is predominantly Xian?)

20. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: Xian terrorists

I've seen televangelist programs. Nobody is being "terrorized".

So why are Christian donation-seekers portrayed as especially evil?

That doesn't answer my question. You said the Bible is a lie and you claim to be unable to speak for the holy books of other faiths, so where did you get your ideas on what God wants?

The true faith.

You spoke for other religions when you began your sentence with, "No, its not only Xians...".

That doesn't answer my question. Should televangelists be taken off the air by order of the government or by free choice of like-minded television stations?

I don't feel like searching through hundreds of posts. If you can prove that God exists and that there is only one God, please do so, or at least point me to the right thread.

In a previous post in this thread you said, "There is only one God, and I have no problem calling him Allah." Apparently you find Islam more appealing than Christianity, so what makes it any more true or less oppressive?

I am not asking you to speak for other religions or interpret their holy books. I am asking you if other religions with a history of abuse and persecution should be subjected to the same "terror" you seem to believe Christians should be subjected to.

Because most people who have immigrated to America have come from predominantly Christian nations.

21. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Xian terrorists

Originally posted by Galt
    ----------
    I've seen televangelist programs. Nobody is being "terrorized".
    ----------
    (They surely don't know they are being fed a guilt trip.)
    ----------
    So why are Christian donation-seekers portrayed as especially evil?
    ----------
    (Because they're the only ones I see on TV.)
    ----------
    That doesn't answer my question. You said the Bible is a lie and you claim to be unable to speak for the holy books of other faiths, so where did you get your ideas on what God wants?
    ----------
    (One does not need a religion or a holy book to know what God wants. That comes from having a personal relationship with God and the human family.)
    ----------
    You spoke for other religions when you began your sentence with, "No, its not only Xians...".
    ----------
    (Specifically, I was referring to Catholics taking up 'special' collections.)
    ----------
    That doesn't answer my question. Should televangelists be taken off the air by order of the government or by free choice of like-minded television stations?
    ----------
    (I personally don't think the government should get involved in this, because by doing so that would be discrimatory by denying Xians their constitutional rights to freedom of speech. I choose not to watch it, but that doesn't interfere with the rights of those who do want to watch it.)
    ----------
    I don't feel like searching through hundreds of posts. If you can prove that God exists and that there is only one God, please do so, or at least point me to the right thread.
    ----------
    (No one can prove that God exists or doesn't exist. This has been thoroughly discussed everywhere on sciforums. Surely, you didn't miss it? I choose to believe there is one God in the form of a pure universal spirit that lives in the entirety of creation. The Spirit of God is not something that one could see. It is not physical, yet, the vast human race is God's physical body on Earth. If you choose not to believe in God, that is your decision. I do not have to prove anything to you.)
    ----------
    In a previous post in this thread you said, "There is only one God, and I have no problem calling him Allah." Apparently you find Islam more appealing than Christianity, so what makes it any more true or less oppressive?
    ----------
    (My belief in only one Creator of the universe is called by many names. The name Allah is very close to the OT name of El or E-manu-el. I have no problem calling God Buddha or Joe Blow. God's name is not what's important. Specifically, to answer your question about my finding Islam more appealing than Xianity, I believe what the Qur'an says about Jesus being a prophet and that there was no Xifixion. If the Bible lied about this one thing, then Xianity shouldn't even exist. That's why I don't believe in Xianity.)
    ----------
    I am not asking you to speak for other religions or interpret their holy books. I am asking you if other religions with a history of abuse and persecution should be subjected to the same "terror" you seem to believe Christians should be subjected to.
    ----------
    (Xianity has a bloody history of child abuse, all kinds of persecution, and is the most terroristic religion ever invented by man! I believe Xianity to be the Anti-X. But, hey, if this is what you believe, go ahead.)
    ----------
    Because most people who have immigrated to America have come from predominantly Christian nations.
    ----------
    (This may have been true in the 1800s and early 1900s. Notwithstanding, the massive immigration from South of the border countries who are now in the majority. Generally, they are Xians, too. You don't say where you live, but we have many immigrants from China, Japan, the Phillipines, Middle East, Holy Land, Africa, India, Pakistan, Russia, to name a few, and let's not forget about the Islands in the Carribean. Thus, we have had an influx of atheists, Arabs, tribal religions, Hindu, Shinto, Buddhists, Orthodox, and even Voodoo and Santaria. America is not the white, anglo-saxon, protestant country it used to be. God is as diverse as the human race evolves to be!)
    ----------

22. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Xian terrorists

I'd guess that they do. It's pretty obvious. But anyway, it's a self-inflicted guilt trip (since they choose to watch the shows), so it's nobody's business but their own.

So is your problem with these donation-seekers their Christian beliefs or just that you don't like religious people in general asking for money on television? In other words, would you have the same attitude about a Muslim, Buddhist or Jewish "televangelist"?

I didn't say you needed a book.

Catholics are Christians. So once again, is your problem with Christian donation-seekers specifically or religious donation-seekers in general?

I agree.

I am very aware that the existance of God can't be proved or disproved. That is why I am an agnostic.

I asked for proof because most people who strongly believe something have some kind of justification or rationale for this belief, and I was curious to see what it was.

So how do you know the Koran is any more or less accurate than the Bible?

I can think of at least one other religion with a history of persecution, oppression, terrorism and, at least recently, abuse of children. Whether or not Christianity is the worst of the bunch is debatable.

Anyway, you still didn't answer my question: Should other religions with a history of abuse and persecution be subjected to the same "terror" you seem to believe Christians should be subjected to?

23. coolsoldier Registered Senior Member

Not to be anal, but...

Posted by Galt, directed at Medicine*Woman
    The issue of "God" versus "Allah" is an issue of language, not of religion. In the Arabic language, the equivalent word to the English "God" is "Allah". Most arab christians refer to God as Allah, and most American muslims refer to Him as God.