Gay Bishop appointed

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Mystech, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Mystech Adult Supervision Required Registered Senior Member

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/08/05/bishop/index.html

The article says it all. Robinson is now the first openly gay Bishop of the Episcopal Church.

I don't think it ever says anywhere in the scriptures that a sinner can't be a bishop, so I don't see what all the hubbub was. Apparently some people felt that it was somehow against the religious teachings of the church, and honestly I'm all for that interpretation.

Every time a religious organization goes against nonsensical doctrine and acts using actual factual reason and logic it puts a big ol' grin on my face, to be sure.

I may not be a big fan of religion in general, but today I’ve gotta’ take my hat off to the Episcopal Church and give them a nod for having taken a move in a more progressive direction.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DarkMadMax Registered Senior Member

At least he is not pedophile

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. okinrus Registered Senior Member

Even if Robinson is correct, he still spliting up the church. It's not a good decision for a "Bishop" whose supposed to care about his church.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ConsequentAtheist Registered Senior Member

No, the homophiles are "spliting up the church".

8. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Yeppo. The homophobes are going to make things go one of two ways:

1. The gay Bishop must leave the church.
    2. The gay Bishop must die.

Either way the church will split, because some church members are more compassionate then others. But the homophobes won't want the church to split so they'll kill the gay Bishop. At least that's how I see it.

9. Fen Registered Senior Member

What's an pro-homo anti-christian to do?

Well, just sit back and laugh I guess. It can't not be a good thing. A church could be split. Homosexuality gets a better light to many. Irrational as they may be, those church members are voters.

10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

You could try congratulating them

Well ... you could try giving them some applause, congratulations, and moral support. The way I see it, Christianity needs to catch up with "the rest of us civilized folk" ....

If the church splits in conflict, the intellectual considerations of spiritual issues will tumble back toward traditionalism and perhaps even reactionary fundamentalism. That creates a headache for all Americans, regardless of the religion or gender of your sex partner.

And when America has a headache, well ... that's when we really do like to share with others ....

If the church holds together and faith grows stronger, that still works toward the anti-Christian's favor, as the faith will be at least slightly more intelligent and consistent. Sure, it doesn't seem like much in the here and now, but the little things, over generations, add up. I'm as sure as I can be, for instance, that the people who decided, "Ah, it's not worth fixing" when considering problematic issues of their writings which would eventually, though without their knowledge, perhaps, compose "Scripture" probably never imagined that the little thing not worth fixing would contribute to the slow and agonizing death of the faith they advocated.

But seriously ... it's cause for celebration. Episcopals, stand up and take a bow, and no, I won't stand behind you while you do.

A more removed perspective presents this question: As the Christians figure out the reasons to raise themselves above the shadows of their valley of death, will we welcome them to the city on the hill, or send them back to their quagmire with our ridicule?

It's all a matter of priorities. To me, the vote is significant because it tells me that Christians are still striving to understand themselves in relation to their human neighbors. This is a far better outlook than most days, when you get the impression that Christians would prefer their neighbors tacked to crosses. Remember, there's no place so deep that the Lord can't find you ... and judge you. (Borrowed from Ned Flanders.)

The vote helps put the issue of judgment back in God's hands where it belongs.

:m:,
    Tiassa

11. okinrus Registered Senior Member

Usually I consider the first cause to be guilty. Unless if Robinson is a complete fool, he knew that by becoming a bishop would mean spliting up the church. The "homophobics" are those who agree with the what the church traditionally teaches. That homosexual acts are wrong and sinful.

I'm sorry I don't quite see this. The church elected a bishop who openly defied the church's teaching on homosexuality. It's not like elected someone who stole something and then repented of it.

12. Mystech Adult Supervision Required Registered Senior Member

I don't see Robinson doing anything to split up the church. All I see is a bunch of pretentious old men busy going nuts over nothing. Don't blame Robinson for causing the division, he's just doing his job.

13. okinrus Registered Senior Member

Maybe, however Robinson must know that he's spliting up the church. Of course he thinks the benefits, more support for gays, outweigh the risks.

14. Mystech Adult Supervision Required Registered Senior Member

There isn't really anything which indicates that he's trying to make this a battle for homosexual rights. As far as I can tell he's working for himself, because he wants to serve the church.

Again, I don't really think that it is he who is splitting up the church. I'm sure he can see all the others throwing shit fits, and is just happy to have his new position, and wants to get started doing whatever the hell it is a bishop does, exactly.

By that church's doctrine he may be a sinner, but I thought the idea is that we are all sinners, what's so special about homosexuals?

15. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Okinrus - Trust in God

Church teaching is a human institution, subject to fault and revision. It is not infallible. It is not eternal. By accepting this bishop despite his sins, the faithful are putting their faith in God's judgment. The best candidate God provided was apparently a gay man. Who here dares rise up and call the effects of God's will in the world evil? (cf - Matthew 12.31-32)

Tiassa

Edit: Mystech, is that better? Although you're so right. I thank you. I totally lost my mind and decided to violate four years worth of habitual and established posting stylistics

Last edited: Aug 7, 2003
  16. Mystech Adult Supervision Required Registered Senior Member

Re: Okinrus - Trust in God

Are you citing this whole post as a verce from the Bible? could we get some quotation marks over here? heh.

It's a good point, though. The man is a sinner in the eyes of his faith, and he's up front about his sin. By that same faith we are all sinners, yet we don't see any other bishops coming foward and saying that maybe they once did something which the church may somehow find moraly objectionable. He's a good honest man, why object to his being Bishop?

17. okinrus Registered Senior Member

No, somethings in taught by the church are divinely ordained. Someone reading the Scripture must differentiate between code of conduct for 50AD churches and modern ones. It's not because of his sins, though. A bishop must stay true to what the church teaches. If he commits fault he must confess it as a sin. Robinson is openly gay and unrepentant. Robinson must hold Jesus more important than his sex life and remain celibrate.

As to God's will, unless if it is Divinely proclaimed to me that homosexual acts are not sinful, I cannot go against what the Church teaches.

18. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Originally posted by okinrus
    No, somethings in taught by the church are divinely ordained.
    So the flat earth was divinely ordained, yet proven false? Ever see 'Dogma?

Someone reading the Scripture must differentiate between code of conduct for 50AD churches and modern ones. It's not because of his sins, though. A bishop must stay true to what the church teaches. If he commits fault he must confess it as a sin.

Ok, lets say he did that.

Robinson is openly gay and unrepentant.

Being gay is not the problem... the sex is.

Robinson must hold Jesus more important than his sex life and remain celibrate.

Did he say he wasn't celibate.

As to God's will, unless if it is Divinely proclaimed to me that homosexual acts are not sinful, I cannot go against what the Church teaches.

Has it been Divinely proclaimed to you that stoning is bad? Why don't you still do it?

19. okinrus Registered Senior Member

"Therefore, I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. And whoever speaks a word against the holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or the in the age to come."(Mathew 12:31-32)

I think your going to have to go to more explanation into this.

20. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Church is infallible?

Are you asserting the infallibility of the church?

I see why Christians don't like their God that works in mysterious ways.

You don't get it, do you? What right do the people have to temporal judgment? The best candidate put before them was obviously the gay man, else they would not have made the decision they made. God knows better than man, if my memory of faith serves me correctly.

Repent your sin of pride, Okinrus.

Why is it that the one thing faithful people can't stand is trusting in God?

Tiassa

21. okinrus Registered Senior Member

Yes, Jesus save the woman who commited adultry from being stoned. He said to let the one who has commited no fault be the first to pick up his stone. So because everyone has sinned, captial punishment is wrong.

22. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Originally posted by okinrus
    Yes, Jesus save the woman who commited adultry from being stoned. He said to let the one who has commited no fault be the first to pick up his stone.
    And what makes you think this apples to all situations? Perhaps it was *gasp* a metaphor?

So because everyone has sinned, captial punishment is wrong.

Hmm, I wasn't aware stoning was capital punishment... unless it ended in death.

Once again, you are avoiding the comments raised by answering a different question.

23. okinrus Registered Senior Member

I don't believe in the episcopalian church.

How could this be the best candiate?

Me Prideful

You automatically assumed that homosexual acts were valid under God despite it never being divinely proclaimed.

Explain how believing in homosexual bishop voted into different church than my own, is trusting in God. It is trusting in men?