When were the Gospels written?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by snow, Jul 21, 2003.

1. snow Registered Senior Member

Ive seen several people here claim the gospels were written long after most people think they were,Just to clarify this I ask,when do you think the Gospels were written?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Munchmausen Registered Senior Member

IIRC, the prevailing belief among historians was that Mark was written c. 80-100 AD, and the others were written in the order they appear between 200-400 AD. Matthew was placed first when the Bible was assembled because it spoke to the Hebrew audience (as opposed to the Greek audience) and made a better transition from the Old Testament.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lifegazer Registered Senior Member

Saw a documentary recently which dated the Jesus Papyrus to well within the living-memory of the author. They used styles of writing and grammar to discern this date. Just how precise this is, is anybodies guess. But these guys were top-notch researchers.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ConsequentAtheist Registered Senior Member

I would be interested in know the source for those curious date estimates. You have some of the Gospels dated as much as 75 years after the Council of Nicea.

See, for example, Kirby's excellent site Early Christian Writings

8. ConsequentAtheist Registered Senior Member

Re: Re: When were the Gospels written?

What "Jesus Papyrus"?

9. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

Records show that Mark was the first Gospel written around 70 AD. The others followed. Saul/Paul who wrote most of the NT wasn't born when Jesus was alive. His epistles were written after the Gospels. I have read that he also wrote under the pseudonym "Josephus."

10. ConsequentAtheist Registered Senior Member

Re: Re: When were the Gospels written?

What "records"?

I'm sure you have. So, tell us. What is your position on the claim and are you willing to substantiate and defend it?

11. lifegazer Registered Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: When were the Gospels written?

http://www.askwhy.co.uk/truth/210Thiede.html

That's from a quick search. Looks informative enough.

12. ConsequentAtheist Registered Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: When were the Gospels written?

You have a notably low threshhold.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. lifegazer Registered Senior Member

I confess that I didn't read it. Was just trying to show you what it was. On the documentary I watched recently - on one of the discovery channels, I think - they did not mention anything you point-out here. I guess that there's a difference of opinion. No surprises there then.

14. ConsequentAtheist Registered Senior Member

Yes, somewhat like the difference of opinion between the scientific community and UFOlogists.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. lifegazer Registered Senior Member

Not at all. These guys knew what they were talking about.
    So let's take a closer look at this counter you presented:
    What makes these "experts" any more-expert than the experts that did the initial work?
    Differences?
    Do you realise that these posts of ours could be dated just by the style of grammar and the language we are using? There are specific words we are using - and specific styles of grammar/punctuation (and even the way we would write this stuff - our handwriting style) - which would enable experts of the future to date these posts to a very precise date.
    That's what those guys did with this papyrus. Yet it's obvious that our styles/grammar/handwriting will not have completely changed from that of say, 200 years ago. And nor shall they completely be transformed 200 years from now. These are the "differences" to which you attest. But the point is that, say for example, we would only do or say specific things within a very-short period.
    The Oxford dictionary, for example, introduces new words every year... mirroring the current slang. But many of those words become unfashionable in a short time-span. They fall out of use. Thus their actual usage in correspondence can unveil the time such correspondence was had.
    The point is that certain styles last a long time. Whilst others are short-lived and only happen within a certain era.
    This is how these guys did their work. Only it was much cleverer and detailed than I have done it justice here. Don't just discount it on the back of some skeptical retort that does not actually disprove the initial hypothesis.

I'm not fully informed to counter everything you have said. But there is reasonable-doubt in my mind not to simply accept this retort as an invalidation of everything the other guys have said.
    Like I said: differences of opinion.
    I'm quite open-minded to this. The dating of the gospels can only be done in respect to educated guess of the available written evidence. For all we know, the first gospel(s) could have been written within months of Jesus' death. I like to think that they probably were. But I wont pretend to say that I can know, either way.

16. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

Is there a 1st century papyrus of the gospel text?

The Jesus Papyrus - Five Years On - A book review of The Jesus Papyrus by Carsten Thiede and Matthew d'Ancona addresses this claim in detail, finding that it is groundless. The papyri in question all date from around 200 C.E. The U.S. edition of this book is called Eyewitness to Jesus. The review is by Dr. J.K. Elliott , Professor of New Testament Textual Criticism at the University of Leeds, England. Source: Secular Web Library See also: Histrocity of Jesus

17. Agent Smith Registered Senior Member

I heard that they were written within a 100 years to 150 years after jesus died.

18. ConsequentAtheist Registered Senior Member

Best I can tell, when it comes to such things as paleography and textual criticism, you are not informed at all. Your doubt is based on ignorance and bias. You might wish to start here and then, if you're still interested, actually read a book. Metzger would be a good start.

19. lifegazer Registered Senior Member

That's true. I don't know alot about it. And like I said, I hadn't made my mind up one way or the other.

20. ConsequentAtheist Registered Senior Member

The Rutgers Synoptic Gospels Primer, though not dealing with paleography, has much to commend it, not the least of which is the following statement found beneath the index:
    • "Faith is no excuse for ignorance! Adherence to any tradition in disregard for textual evidence is sheer superstition."