Tolerance in Islam .

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Proud_Syrian, Jul 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tolerance in Islam

by M. Rafiqul-Haqq and P. Newton

"There is no compulsion in religion." (The Qur'an 2:256)
    This Qur'anic verse is used by Muslims to defend themselves against the charge that Islam is an intolerant religion. The charge of intolerance has been haunting Muslims everywhere since the beginning of Islam. Is this charge well founded or is it a false one?

http://debate.domini.org/newton/tolerance.html

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Stop spamming!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DJSupreme23 neocortex activated Registered Senior Member

"O you who believe! Fight those of the unbelievers (non-Muslims) who are near to you and let them find in you hardness; and know that Allah is with those who guard (against evil)."
    (Koran 9:123)

"O you who believe! Do not take the Jews and the Christians for friends; they are friends of each other; and whoever amongst you takes them for a friend, then surely he is one of them; surely Allah does not guide the unjust people."
    (Koran 5:51)

"But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war); but if they repent, and establish regular prayers (become Muslims) and practise regular charity, then open the way for them: for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful."
    (Koran 9:5)

"O ye who believe! Take not for friends Unbelievers (non-Muslims) rather than believers: Do ye wish to offer Allah an open proof against yourselves?"
    (Koran 4:144)

"Thou seest many of them turning in friendship to the Unbelievers (non-Muslims). Evil indeed are (the works) which their souls have sent forward before them (with the result), that Allah's wrath is on them, and in torment will they abide."
    (Koran 5:80)

"Fight those who do not believe in Allah, nor in the latter day, nor do they prohibit what Allah and His Apostle have prohibited, nor follow the religion of truth, out of those who have been given the Book (Christians and Jews), until they pay the tax in acknowledgment of superiority and they are in a state of subjection."
    (Koran 9:29)

Comment: In Islam, "the people of the Book (i.e. the Bible)" means Jews and Christians. Above we see that Muhammedanism tells its followers to fight the Christians and Jews until they are a powerless group that gives money to their Muhammedan masters! Throughout history, this is how the Christian and Jewish groups were treated by Muhammedan rulers. For example, when the Arab-Muhammedan armies conquered the lands of the Christian Assyrians, the Assyrians were forced to pay 80% tax, or more, to the Muhammedans. Because of this oppression, most Assyrians had to convert to Muhammedanism. Even in the Caliphate of Cordoba (Spain), which Muhammedans often mention as an example of "Islamic tolerance", where the majority were Christians, they had to pay for not being Muhammedans.

Tolerance? Oh my, what humor you have, Ahmed.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Go play somewhere else...shall you ??

9. croper Registered Senior Member

If Islam is so tolerant...

..then why is the UK (particularly) and many other countries, swamped with immigrants from Islamic countries?

10. croper Registered Senior Member

But your quotes seem to directly contradict those made by DJSupreme23.

Eg.

"O you who believe! Do not take the Jews and the Christians for friends; they are friends of each other; and whoever amongst you takes them for a friend, then surely he is one of them; surely Allah does not guide the unjust people."
    (Koran 5:51)

How can you explain this quote?

11. Flores Registered Senior Member

Easy

Because Mr DJSupreme23 took his quotes out of Sura 9 that was written in a time of war and intended as direct instructions to the Prophet in war time when he was opressed and with noone to trust. God told the prophet not to take the jews and the christians for friends in this war because they would let him down, just like the christians and jews let Jesus down and plotted with the Romans for his murder. Sura 9 doesn't start with the Name of God most mercifull like every Sura in the Quran and is not intended for our daily application, it's a mere history recitation.

The tolerant Suras all over the Quran toward muslims and christians are a proof that this specific Suras that you quote are out of context and abused. Also, please stop interpreting unbeliever as (non muslims). unbelievers are Atheists.

12. Flores Registered Senior Member

Re: If Islam is so tolerant...

I dunno, when you find out why christian Mexicans and Buhda Chinease are called wet backs from swimming through shark infested waters to come to the US, then you'll have the answer to your question. Could it possibly be economics Mr. Smarty pants????

13. croper Registered Senior Member

Re: Re: If Islam is so tolerant...

To be honest, I regretted that post as soon as I made it, it was a bit flippant and uninformed. My apologies.

As for the misquotes, thanks for your explanation... misquoting is a poweful tool to prove anything it seems

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Drakkon Registered Member

We can explain how the Koran contradicts itself the same way Christians explain contradictions in the Bible; which there really are. (which means as a buddhist I have no idea, I"ll let a muslim explain it)

Unless I'm mistaken, there are no countries which Christianity occupies a sole all powerful role in government the way most Islamic countries do making comparisons betwen Muslim and Christian countries not very fair.

Does this mean a country based on fundamentalist Islam is crap? How fundmental do you go? Especially when charismatic adherents don't know how to take qoutes from the Koran from a historical perspective. This plagues other religions too where truth is very very changable according to intepretation.

15. Flores Registered Senior Member

The answer my friend is total separation of Religion and Government.......Religion is like laundry (could be clean or dirty), it's not to be hung over public forums....Somethings are just better kept in that precious chest drawer.

PS... If Islam has failed in governments, then Christianity will abslotely flunk, because Islam is must more consistent, coherent, unified, and regular than Christianity.......To implement Christianity in government is to cause chaos and confusion and encourage secular wars.

16. Drakkon Registered Member

True, which is why to champion the cause of Christianity, i DO NOT recommend making comparisons between Islamic countries and America. Most Islamic countries do not seperate religion from state.

17. Flores Registered Senior Member

Don't worry, I don't think the Christians will ever make that mistake again of connecting religion to government, noone want to go back to the dark midevil ages of opression when the church was in control.

18. Zero Banned Banned

Re: Easy

"Unbeliever" indicates any person who does not believe in the religion of the person who uses the word.

19. Zero Banned Banned

Zero regrets that in the 21st century, Muslim countries are making the mistake that the church already learned from centuries ago

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

He also bids Flores good day.

20. Flores Registered Senior Member

Good day Zero, and I share your regrets. One day soon, Muslims will learn how to keep religion private and out of the State abuse. In the meanwhile, live in fear and don't travel, because you are the ace of spades on the terrorists card games.

21. Drakkon Registered Member

Just as Christianity needed time to evolve and grow out of its heretic killing stage shouldn't Islam be judged that way too considering it is a much younger religion than Christianity?

22. Flores Registered Senior Member

You may think they are different religions, but I view them as the same religion. Afterall, there is one religion, the religion of god the creator, just many prophets to remind different people and generations of the same message.

23. Zero Banned Banned

*shrinks in horror*

Zero feels that he must run away to a remote, scorpion-filled desert island to protect himself. He asks Flores if she knows a capable travel agent who will find one for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.