The Test:

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by SnakeLord, Jul 19, 2003.

1. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

During a very good debate on irc earlier this morning we ended up with a very good test to see just how open minded a person actually is. Here is a quick version of that conversation. I will call the other person X.

{X} How have you deduced there is no god?
    {Snake} I've never stated "there is no god", i stated "theres no evidence to suggest there is"
    {snake} thus, without any evidence i wont just say "there is" and be done with it.
    {X} ok so is it possible there is a god?
    {Snake} Of course it's possible.
    {X} Thnx
    {Snake} Possible there isn't one?

At this point the person in question refused to respond. I said: Be nice {X}, but he changed the subject and started waffling on about something completely unrelated.

I would like the same thing to be done here, by everyone who browses this forum. There's no need for a lengthy response, just a simple yes/no on each count.

1) Is it possible there is a god? (he doesn't have to fit anyone's religious views of a god, or indeed take any part in the history of human life, just whether there might be one or not).

2) Is it possible there is not a god?

It would be interesting to see who really is stuck within their own belief without anything else even being an option.

Regards.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tyrell Registered Senior Member

Yes, and yes again.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

10 views, 1 response? Come on, i said Everyone! Don't be shy, it only requires a yes or no.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ConsequentAtheist Registered Senior Member

yes, yes -- 'possibility' is a trivial threshhold.

8. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Of course it is, but it's a surprise to see how some people lack any ability to answer it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

hmmmmm...trick questions.

SnakeLord,

From a scientific prospective, yes, from a common sense perspective, no.

Love

Jan Ardena.

10. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Snake,

From Webster – possible: being within the limits of ability, capacity, or realization.

The question cannot be answered with yes or no. We do not know enough to state that an environment could exist that would support an entity we have loosely defined as godlike. For the moment we only know of a natural universe and have no indication that a supernatural universe could exist, or even what is meant by supernatural.

All we can say for sure is that the concepts of gods and the supernatural are fictional. To say that such things might be possible without having any precedent for anything remotely similar is simply impossible to say. Mathematically we can argue that the chances of such baseless fictional objects, of which we could imagine an infinite set, mapping to one of the finite realities is 1/infinity, or practically zero.

Since the laws of physics appear to be self sustaining and do not seem to require any ‘godlike’ influence to keep them going then it would appear that a god is not necessary. Based on that observation it appears that it would indeed be possible for there to be no god. This of course says nothing about the possibility that at one time there might have been a god that started everything and then disappeared.

11. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

Yes and yes. Plus its possible monkeys might fly out of my ass at any given time.

12. No, it isn't. It isn't anatomically possible for mulitple monkeys to fit in the space available up your butt.

13. StrangeDays Registered Senior Member

But it's possible that we're all in the Matrix and his real butt is big enough to house several gorillas.

Yes and yes, but like others in this thread, I find the questions trivial.