Second genesis

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by atheroy, Jul 17, 2003.

1. atheroy Registered Senior Member

saw an interesting thing on telly last night. scientists are working to create life from nothingness, something that has only happened once in our history- whether you believe in the 6000 year old bible version, or the 4 billion year old scientific version. quite clever the process- taking the simplest lifeform, a particular bacterium, and working through a process to find out what genes are necessary for life in the bacteriums DNA; scientists can then find the chemicals that are contained within these genes and are then shooting these chemicals together in sequence to see if they can create a basic form of life. pretty impressive i thought. in theory this should work as our DNA is made up of four chemicals- adenine, thymine, guanine and cytosine, and constucting gene's that make up DNA should result in the creation of life. god is not alone is his ability to create life, despite what the bible might claim.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I saw that as well.
    I love how they said "in the bible god created all life, in reality ..."

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

zing! flagrant dissing of religious peoples beliefs. I love it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. okinrus Registered Senior Member

I'm not sure what I'm to say Atheroy. You claim that because some scientist says in 10 years or so that they will be able to create life that makes it reality. I'm sorry it doesn't. Many of the early AI scientist thought they would be able to create a intelligent being in 50 years. Until you can produce facts, your no better than religionist. And in the bible, the dragon is allowed to breath his spirit into a false image. So biological life can be created apart from God. Most christians don't believe that bacteria or plants have souls anyways.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. atheroy Registered Senior Member

life is LIFE. no matter it's intelligence. who said anything about intelligence being a requirement for life- it's not a requirement by the way, i'm just challenging the idea that god is the only being able to do create life; if you want proof look on the abc news website. as well, i'm not so sure about the "soul" thing- say for identical twins, they are MEANT to be one person except when the first division of the zygotic cell occurs they break into 2 separate cells instead of staying together. does that then mean that they have half a soul each? because they are identical in basically every way apart from the fact that they don't happened to be the one person, rather two people. see, i debate that humans aren't so special as to have something that other living things don't have, i think we like to inflate our idea's of ourselves, letting us feel superior over the things that surround us. i don't see why we humans think are a picularity(yeah, i just made that word up) in a world of similarities.

it was rather amusing wasn't it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

don't know where you saw it but i'm gald we get abc news screening here, albiet at a haneous(sp) hour in the morning.