What about the angels...

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by FunkyJuice, Jul 13, 2003.

1. FunkyJuice Registered Senior Member

According to Judeo-Christian beliefs genesis pretty much goes..

Day 1 - Heaven and Earth, Day 2 - Night and Day, Day 3 - Land and seas, Day 4 - Sun, Moon and Stars, Day 5 - Bird, Fish and land animals, Day 6 - Created Man, Day 7 - Rested.

Where are the angels? These divine messengers and helpers?
    Why are they not worthy a mention?

Either got created them.... but never felt them worthy of mention (though he does brag about everything else he created)

or

god didnt create the angels and they were around before gods word.. or at least there to hear it... in which case... where did they come from??? and who said god should have dominion upon them...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. doom Registered Senior Member

The angels were really aliens from another planet,actually anyone with any sense is more likely to believe they were aliens than supernatural messengers from god,because scientifically aliens are not out of the question.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

A Simple Definition

"Angels are spiritual beings created by God to serve Him, though created higher than man. Some, the good angels, have remained obedient to Him and carry out His will, while others, fallen angels, disobeyed, fell from their holy position, and now stand in active opposition to the work and plan of God."

The Time of Their Creation

"Though the exact time of their creation is never stated, we know they were created before the creation of the world. From the book of Job we are told that they were present when the earth was created (Job 38:4-7) so their creation was prior to the creation of the earth as described in Genesis one."

The Nature and Number of Their Creation

"The angels were created simultaneously as a host or a company. God created man and the animal kingdom in pairs with the responsibility and ability to procreate. Angels, however, were created simultaneously as a company, a countless host of myriads (Col. 1:16; Neh. 9:6). This is suggested by the fact they are not subject to death or any form of extinction and they do not propagate or multiply themselves as with humans. Hebrews 9:27 says, “… it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment.” While fallen angels will be judged in the future and permanently confined to the lake of fire (Matt. 25:41; 1 Cor. 6:4; 2 Pet. 2:4; Jude 6), there is never any mention of the death of angels (see Luke 20:36). Nevertheless, they are an innumerable host created before the creation of the earth (cf. Job 38:7; Neh. 9:6; Ps. 148:2, 5; Heb. 12:22; Dan. 7:10; Matt. 26:53; Rev. 5:11; with Matt. 22:28-30; Luke 20:20-36)."

Source: Angelology - The Doctrine of Angels

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. okinrus Registered Senior Member

I think "Let there be lights in the dome of the sky, to separate day from night. Let them mark the fixed times, the days and the years, and serve as luminaries in the dome of the sky, to shed light upon the earth." was the creation of the angels.

8. ConsequentAtheist Registered Senior Member

I suspect that the 'angels' are nothing more than the Sons of God found in Genesis 6 (and excised from Deuteronomy 32), i.e., the Demigods of Canaanite mythology - a mythology that served as context for nascent Judaic henotheism.

9. Flores Registered Senior Member

In the Quran, the angels and Satan are described as the stars. Satans are rejected or shooting stars. So I agree with oknirus about the biblical passage, because it's confirmed many times in the Quran that angels are stars that obey god by revolving as they do without a question.

10. doom Registered Senior Member

Er the stars are suns,possibly with planets going round.

Perhaps it meant the angels were people from the stars "up there",that or there was no angels and its all a bunch of crap.

But there has been ufo sightings and strange stuff for a long time,still is.

I mean just think weve sent people to the moon,we are on the way to sending people to mars,weve got theorys on the big bang,all this great technology,all them theorys on quantum mechanics and so on,but we can still not properly explain crop circles!!!
    how can this be?
    maybe im missing something.

11. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

I Thought this quote might be of interest ...

"There is a difference of opinion as to the day on which angels were created; one authority decides for the second day, on the ground that they are mentioned in connection with water (Ps. civ. 3, 4), which was created on that day; while another, arguing from the fact that they are said to fly (Isa. vi.), assigns their creation to the fifth day, on which all other flying things were created. But all authorities are agreed that they did not exist on the first day of creation, so that skeptics can not say that they were helpers in the work of creation."

Source: Medieval Hebrew: The Midrash - Bereshith Rabba

12. FunkyJuice Registered Senior Member

Maybe i am wrong (usually am) but does "god" directly inform humans about the creation of the angels themselves? or is it only ever elduded about?

So far all i have seen is interpretations of original texts or much later texts that attempt to fill in the gaps..

I really appreciate the responses by the way 8)

13. Jenyar Solar flair Valued Senior Member

It's certainly one of the mysteries of the Bible. Angels are sometimes nothing more (or should I say, less) than the mouthpieces of God. I read the story of Sodom and Gomorrah again recently (Gen.18-19), and there it says that Abraham entertained three men, one of whom was God himself, one their way to judge Sodom (where Lot lived). In Lot's account, only two angels are left.

There are one or two peculiar things here: the men are at first only described as 'men', and addressed as "my lord" - but all three clearly share the same purpose. When Abraham later speaks to them, one stays behind (and is thereafter called "the Lord") and the other two continue on the way to Sodom (18:22). At Sodom, it is made clear these two are indeed angels.

When they speak to Lot it is with no less authority than God himself:

16 When he hesitated, the men grasped his hand and the hands of his wife and of his two daughters and led them safely out of the city, for the LORD was merciful to them.

One of the men with Lot says: "21 ... "Very well, I will grant this request too; I will not overthrow the town you speak of."
    and two verses later: "24 Then the LORD rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah-from the LORD out of the heavens."

14. Marigny Registered Senior Member

angels and devils in the sky

that's probably not too far off from the truth. no one can get close to a star since they are light years away anyway.

and if Flores says that in the Quran, the fallen ones are the shooting stars, then they seem to have a joy ride in outerspace than to those opposedly stagnatingly to exist until they burn out.
    anyway, stars have a limit to their existence.

what about the cherubs?

15. Cherubs are angels . . .

The Nine Orders
    The First Choir

1) Seraphim - The four beasts which encircle the throne of God

2) Cherubim - The holders of Knowledge - The greatest are Ophaniel, Rikbiel, Zophiel, and, before his fall, Satan. They appeared as Sphinx-like beasts.

3) Ophanim, or Thrones - The Wheels of God's Chariot. The ruling prince is Oriphiel, or Zabkiel, or Zaphiel.

The Second Choir

4) Dominions - The book-keepers of Heaven, they hold sceptres and God's Wisdom. Their chief is named Hashmal or Zadkiel.

5) Virtues, or Malakim, or Tarshishim - Maintenance crew of the natural world

6) Powers - The border guards of Heaven and Earth, they watch for Demonic attack. Ertosi, Sammael, or Camael is chief of the Powers.

The Third Choir

7)Principalities - These are the wardens of Earth, who watch over nations. Nisroc, Requel, Anael, and Cerviel are the greatest of these.

8) Archangels - The managers of the normal angels and the leaders of divine warfare, these include Michael and Gabriel.

9) Angels, or Mal'akh - This is the least of the Orders, and is mostly guardians of men and human/god intermediaries.

The Nine Orders Link

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2003
  16. Marigny Registered Senior Member

thank you, redoubtable

i was looking for something like that.
    btw, love the quote on your bio.

funkyjuice, i think angels were formed when you said

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

ay 1 - Heaven and Earth. think that god was lonely before that time?
    hummms, "what if god was one of us...."
    lol.