I read an interesting book

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Hippocampus, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Hippocampus Registered Member

For anyone who wants to understand or read the best arguments for why christians believe Jesus rose again, read the book, The Case For Christ, by Lee Strobel (I believe that is how his last name is spelled). Cant hurt to check it out. Atleast read the Introduction. Remember, Jesus was actually alive, the only subject that is debated is whether or not he was God. It was a very absorbing and credible read, and it is, for the most part, fact based. Check it out.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

That's not true.
    The subject of his existence has been a hot topic of debate for centuries!

Does this book assume his existence and stick to arguing the resurrection?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

It's funny to me that you have to rally around a particular argument. It's god.. I mean, good to let other people argue for you.
    I thought it incredibly telling that it has "questions for reflection or group study" at the end of each chapter. Can you understand why that is telling? Spoonfed theology - an ironic example of why religion is based on fallacy.

Here's the www.m-w.com entry for cult:
    Actually, Cris introduced me to a theory advocating the idea that Jesus was in fact NOT alive - ever.
    No, that is the subject debated between religions. Personally, I don't give two shits about Jesus. I love my wife and daughters. I respect my co-workers...

Jesus, if he lived... is now dead. If he lived, he did not die for you or me. He would have died because his body ceased to function due to trauma.
    It is nothing more than cult propaganda.
    How can you verify that statement?
    argh. Okay, soon, I'll read the introduction and quote it, breaking down to you why it's cult propaganda.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

8. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

Re: Re: I read an interesting book

wesmorris, this is a two-part comment. Firstly, regarding a previous discussion we had, you asked me why I "was compelled" to tell people what my beliefs were regarding my view of God, etc., etc. Although I think my answers were clear, I got to thinking about our conversation since then, and I wanted to also give you an another answer of why it is I feel compelled to tell others about my belief system. Mainly, it is not my particular belief system that I feel compelled to share with others, because one's perception of their creator, and their creation, is a very, very personal vision. Rather than trying to establish my perceptions of god and spirit and our existence, I am truly more compelled to spread the word that Xianity is a false religion, most definitely a cult, and everything Xians believe are lies taught by Saul/Paul, the true creator of Xianity, who was a shrewd businessman who saw that promoting a product like salvation could be a very profitable business venture. This is what I feel "compelled" to tell the Xians in the world.

Secondly, some theorists believe Jesus never lived but was a myth created by Saul/Paul. I am not clear on my belief of this. I tend to think Jesus existed and may have been a historical person, but there were several people named Jesus that were omitted from the Bible, and this has created confusion. I believe the RCC is responsible for hiding the truth, or it could have started to be concealed by Constantine in his version of Xianity.

I seriously doubt if Xians will ever realize their foolish beliefs. Of course, that is what they say about everyone else's beliefs. I only hope the truth comes out into the open in my lifetime. So many new theories are being uncovered about the lies that have been told in the Bible.

As for this forum being a scientific one, Xianity just doesn't fit in and the Xian members just repeat themselves needlessly. Science is based upon fact. The closest thing Xianity comes to is science fiction.

9. okinrus Registered Senior Member

Paul was decapitated. If he was decieving people on purpose, don't you think that he would give up his beliefs.

M*W the point of this forum is to learn some things. No one is going to learn anything by just stating silly unbelievable "facts". The more outragous the claim is, the more evidence it needs.

10. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Hippocampus,

So did you believe the book? Did you find the arguments convincing? Have the read the critique posted by Evilpoet? Does this alter your views?

11. Bridge Registered Senior Member

I've read both "The Case for Christ" and "The Case for Faith". I'd have to agree with some of the criticisms pointed on in the review from infidels.org . One area I disagree with is the notion that Christians tampered with the Testimonium Flavianum but that is a whole "nother ballgame".

Being a member of Willow Creek probably prevented Strobel from going into any more detail on the opposing viewpoints or presenting more of the provocative ideas by authors who debate the authenticity of the historical Jesus. In defense though, Strobel does a decent job of highlighting some of the stronger arguments in favor of a historical Christ.

Wes Morris wrote:
    If you ever decide you'd like to learn more about the historical Jesus, I have a book recommendation for you. "The Historical Figure of Jesus" by E. P. Sanders. This book is well balanced, pointing out inconsistencies in the new testament and not really coming across as either pro or con in terms of the religiousity of Christianity. I think it provides an excellent basis for the existence of the physical Jesus, one that is rather really overwhelming. Another plus is the author doesn't decide for you whether or not Jesus was the Son of God. Like it should always remain, it's a personal decision.

12. HOPE Registered Member

the book is very good.........

13. Balerion Banned Banned

You've gotta be kidding me, okinrus. This comes from a guy who believes in the Christian god? HA!

JD

14. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: I read an interesting book

This coming from a woman that said:

In This Thread???

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!