how many religions

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by certified psycho, Jul 10, 2003.

1. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

Does anybody know how many religions are there it the world?
    and how many followers does it take to be a offical reliogion?
    :bugeye:
    please tell

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CharleeB Registered Senior Member

Is this in relation to the StarWars/ StarTrek thing, coz I dont think we're there yet.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

"Short answer: The 2001 edition of Barrett's World Christian Encyclopedia, identifies 10,000 distinct religions, of which 150 have 1 million or more followers. Within Christianity (counted as just one religion), 33,830 different denominations are counted. This would include denominations as large as Catholicism and as small as Shakers.

It could be pointed out that most of these religions are confined to a fairly restricted geographical region and often to single ethnic groups. The Major Religions of the World web page lists only 22 "major world religions." This is far fewer than the 150 religions Barrett lists which have 1 million or more adherents. This is because the list of "major world religions" only includes religions with a significant presence beyond a single country.

For the number of religions in the United States, the best source to consult is the excellent Encyclopedia of American Religions by J. Gordon Melton." [More...]

Source: Adherents.com

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.